An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Effects Marijuana Has on a User's Life

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by irishrose, Nov 1, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Most people are aware of the negative effects marijuana may have on users' health, such as memory loss, paranoia, and lung problems, however, how does marijuana affect the other aspects of a user's life? A research study indicates that compared to people who do not use marijuana, heavy users report having lower satisfaction of life, poorer mental and physical health, and more relationship problems. Furthermore, heavy users were more likely to have less academic and career success, perhaps due to their increased likelihood of dropping out of high school, and job accidents, injuries, and absences.

Here is the link to the article which cites scientific research articles as evidence: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

If heavy users report lower satisfaction in life, why use marijuana in the first place? What do you think?
  2. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think the reason that people report less satisfaction in their lives is because for many people marijuana makes them more lazy. I can't speak for everyone, but when I used marijuana in the past I always just wanted to relax. It made me very chilled out, and I had way less motivation to get things done.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's likely that they are looking for some kind of release or escape from the situations that are causing them to be dissatisfied in the first place. Much like when people have a glass of wine to "unwind".

I think that all the implied consequences of marijuana listed in the original post are equally likely to occur in heavy drinkers.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I agree, in fact the consumption of the two substances are very often compared. Even though physically they don't have the same negative effects. All the problems associated to marijuana can easily bee seen in heavy drinkers.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Too much of anything is bad for you. Though moderate use of a drug can have a negative impact on someone's life the effects won't be seen for a while but once you start using that drug excessively because maybe you want to escape reality, it will negatively impact your life.

Too much of anything can destroy you . . .
    Cassandra Claire
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My spouse was a heavy marijuana smoker before I met him and that describes him to a tee. He would smoke it every day all day long.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that is why it is addiction. Even an addicted person suffers from using the stuff or have a lower satisfaction in life, the cannot just help it but use because of addiction. Anything in excess is bad no matter how good you may think it will be.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have to agree that the people using marijuana with less success are probably having a lazy effect. Some people are completely functional and do everything they need to do, while others will sit at home and let marijuana consume them. I've met a few people that were consumed by marijuana and it was all they did. It never appealed to me, bad effects or not.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

It's just that people are weak, and let peer pressure really get to them. Weed has become so normal in our society, that kids don't see it as the monster the 80s told us it was. So, sometimes it's not that the kids want to smoke dope, sometimes it's because a lot of their friends are doing it, and they just want to fit in.
  10. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most marijuana users start as teenagers. This is the age of peer pressure, adolescent vanity and experimentation. Consequences of marijuana smoking take a backseat. You have addressed about all the consequences of marijuana abuse. The issue is, even those in the know relish the short term effects of marijuana use at the expense of longterm consequences.
  11. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I can say that many of these so-called findings of marijuana are somewhat biased. I am not a marijuana smoker, in fact, I have never smoked anything in my life. However, being from Jamaica where the smoking of marijuana is a wide scale activity, I can tell you that much of these findings have no basis. If you are from say a country like the United States you would have encountered many Jamaicans, and many of them have not quit their smoking habit, and you will find that they are hard working industrious and positive people.
    Many professionals here, doctors lawyers engineers and others smoke marijuana and it has had no negative effect on their thinking or performance.
    Sometimes one has got to question the motives of some of these so-called research findings. There was was this research conclusion that coconut oil was not good for human consumption, this conclusion was promoted because some entity wanted to promote soy products.
  12. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

Smoking marijuana always made me want to just sit on the couch and do nothing. I never wanted to go anywhere because I was so relaxed. If I was at someone else's house, I would stay there for hours before being able to go back home. There were occasions that I was doing things that were fun but for the most part I just sat there maybe listening to music or talking with whoever was at my house. I would not have considered myself a heavy user but it does change your daily habits. Of course, it stands to reason that you would drop out of school because that is too much work and thinking for someone who is stoned all the time. The same for a job. You would probably show up high and not be able to function at work or not even show up at all so you would get fired for too many absences. It is a cycle that I am glad I am not a part of anymore.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

You don't say! My fiance almost got ran over by a car some years ago after smoking some weed he bought at one of those coffee places. He couldn't hear anything, and started to actually hallucinate, I had to push him away from the way of a girl who was cycling in full speed.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

@explorerx7, like you I have never smoked any marijuana and do not myself encourage it at all but many who use and have been using will argue as you did that they excel in their given field without any issues. I feel like I have seen both ends of the coin when I look at people I know. Some just seem to going along and some seem just fine. At the end of the day I am still not a supporter of weed. I think it just leaves me with many, many questions.