An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Effects of Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by zaerine, Oct 27, 2014.

1. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not drink any alcoholic beverages but I am aware of its effects because I knew some who are alcoholics and I have lots of alcoholic neighbors. They tend to always argue and easily irritated, these are some psychological effects I could observe. Also too much alcohol on a daily basis can lead to some illnesses.
    What are those other effects of alcohol you know?
  2. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Too much alcohol can mess with your sleeping rhythms, appetite, and energy levels. It's also just really bad for your health. You are constantly dehydrated and your skin will not be in a good condition.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Other effects of excessive consumption of alcohol:

- Gastritis.
    - Memory Loss.
    - Ulcers.
    - Liver disease.
    - Loss of productivity at the work place.
    - Strained relationships with family members and/or friends.
    - Injuries or death if you DUI.

Paranoia? There's one alcoholic I know who thought everyone was conspiring behind his back, planning his murder.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

These are more than enough reason to avoid being addicted to alcohol.
    I would just like to add that it could also make someone look older than his age. They tend to also not work or not able to have work.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Everyone has made great points. But let's not forget about cancer. Cancer cells thrives on alcohol.
  6. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Alcohol has many effects on people. There are many physical effects such as damage to the brain, heart, liver, pancreas, and the immune system. It can also cause cancer. Everyone should be aware of the dangers that comes with alcohol consumption. I know drinking is a popular thing to do but we must all be careful so that it does not cause physical damage to our bodies in the future.
  7. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

It looks like every one focus on how alcohol affects our health. I would like to point out that it can cause relationship and work problems as people do not like the drunken people in general.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

One simple way to look at what any external thing can do to one's body is to understand what it is and does. Ethanol, is either created from a sublimation process [liquid heated and then cooled] or naturally created in creatures [humans too] and being a solvent, is used to disinfect or in excess and long exposure, will dissolve things. So if one is putting something that dissolves and alters one's body, and if done in a manner extending over a time period, it will change a human physically and mentally. However, ethanol in itself is not negative or positive, it's something that is naturally occurring - it's how a individual use(s) and respond(s) to consuming ethanol substances that determines the effects, which the effects are not the same but similar.

Form my own experiences, ethanol beverages affect people with different effects - for example, caffeine addicts all express different effects, no two people are affected in the same way. Some ethanol beverage consumers do fine in lives, while a lot of others become addicted and problematic from the usage.
  9. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

I used to change my mood when I used to drink, sometimes I missed my remembers and wake up in my bed without knowing how did I arrive to my home, it makes you speak senseless things, I never had a hangover but I use to suffer heartburns constantly due to it.

Now the last time I remember I got drunk, I just can describe the effect of alcohol as illness and dizziness, nothing useful on it.