An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Eight months of being "smoke free"

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by superbobby, May 28, 2015.

1. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

I have been a smoker for 5 years until 8 months ago. I've "quit" many times before but it would not last a week or two. Eight months is the longest I've ever quit. The discipline and determination needed to quit came when my son was born a year ago. I want to be a good father and quitting is one of the few sacrifices that he needs from me. Reading your experiences has given me more strength and hopefully I can quit for good.
    amethyst and xTinx like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@superbobby... Congratulations! Quitting smoking can be so incredibly tough. And the fact that you did it for your son shows what kind of a father you are!

I, too, quit smoking when my first son was born. It'll be 25 years for me in October. Like you, I had tried to quit many times, but it never stuck. My son was the motivation I needed.

I won't lie to you. Almost 25 years later I still get occasional cravings for a cigarette. But quitting smoking was probably the best thing I've ever done for my health (not to mention my finances!).

Keep on the smoke-free path, my friend. And thanks for sharing. Your story can be an inspiration for others!
  3. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I quit multiple times and I know its not easy but keep the good faith man.

Congrats man! Stay clean and well!
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Congrats man! I hope you keep it up.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As a new parent myself I completely understand the motivation they give you to be the VERY best version of yourself possible! It's been a definite guiding light for me in that sense. I want to be a wonderful role model for my child and that keeps me on the straight and narrow! I wouldn't have it any other way though - that sense of purpose and wanting the best for yourself so that you can be the best for your little one is wonderful. You should be very proud of your efforts - your kiddo is lucky to have a parent that cares so much for them that they are so prepared to change their life.
    xTinx likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Some of my friends also quit once they became parents. I have to admit it was a bit sad losing a smoking buddy since I smoke cigarettes too even though I am trying to cut down and quit myself, but I am very happy for them and proud as well because I find it very depressing to hear about people who refuse to change even when they are already responsible for someone else's life and well being.
  7. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

Congrats on your success of being smoke-free! My father used to smoke but he had quit smoking a while ago as well. I know smoking is a hard habit to stop, so again congrats and keep it up! :)
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Kudos to you Superbooby. This is the kind of story I like to read about after a long day. I hope you continue to progress in the months ahead. From everything I have heard, read or seen, quitting isn't usually very easy. You will be a good father. Welcome.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You shared your story in a simple way but when you look at it closely, the implication of what you had just said is actually so moving. Your love for your newly born son is great enough to put an end to your addiction to nicotine. That's why - God forbid - should the same cravings start to haunt you again, please remember this love and hold on to it. Spending more time with your son and doing lots of worthwhile activities with him will also speed up your recovery.
    Sudarsan and deanokat like this.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Beautifully said, @xTinx. :)
    xTinx likes this.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

Keep up with the positive development. You need to motivate yourself. You have found out that you can save some money after quitting smoking. You can also encourage your close friends that quitting is possible.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

I know how it feels when you want to quit smoking so badly, but you just can’t do so. You may try your best for a day or two, but when the third day comes, you will no longer have the energy to withstand the temptations to take that one puff of nicotine deep down your lungs.

Eight months is really inspiring superbobby! You should be proud of yourself! If you have already kept your body pure of nicotine for 8 months, then you can surely do it again, and the next time you do so, you have to push it beyond 8 months; you can stay pure for the rest of your life!

But motivation is the most important thing. Everyone draws motivation from different sources. For you, your motivation was your son. And you stuck to your promise to quit smoking for 8 months! So, you can do it again! You just have to learn to ignore the world and listen to the inner calling of your heart.

One thing is for sure my friend. You have suppressed the demon for your son once! If you have done it, then you can do it again! Best of Luck. Your son must be lucky. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Congrats! You will find a wonderful world of fresh air and clean lungs await you. The devils temptations cannot last against strong will power of those who truly wish to live a clean life. God Bless you and your efforts. You will be rewarded.
  14. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That is fantastic. I'm really happy for you. As a new "quitter" myself, I know that it wasn't easy for you (I quit cigarettes, but I am vaping). You have given your son and yourself a great gift. Good for you!!
  15. Winterybella

Zyni, where you go I follow:D. What is vaping? I hope you are not getting mixed up with 'making your baking'. I am so corny at times:). Anyway I looked it up and soon you won't even need that. Back to the poster, I agree with that he has given the little one a wonderful gift.
  16. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Ha! Hey lady, how are you? Here's my story: http://talk.drugabuse.com/threads/i-think-i-finally-might-be-able-to-quit-smoking.1983/#post-36838

I'm a bit "jealous" of @superbobby (not in a bad way), for having the strength to completely quit. It's a truly great accomplishment that's he's managed.
  17. Winterybella

:):):) I took a quick look but I need to get up from this computer and do some work. I need to give that story my full attention like I am baking a cake. Don't want to miss any important ingredients. I say any step no matter the size is a step in the right direction. Superbobby was able to quit completely and you have started to quit some. In this case you are crawling before you walk completely..... away.
    Zyni likes this.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Hi superbobby, I think that if you ever want to light up again, you will look at your child and think "I can't do this, for my child's sake." Your conscience will come and haunt you if you do. Cigarettes do absolutely nothing for you, your family and the environment in general. All they do is make you ill. So, congratulations on quitting. :)
  19. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

I want to congratulate smokers who are able to quit completely. There are so many people in my circle who failed from time to time that they attempted. My husband had did that quitting many times and he always fall to a relapse. Fortunately he was able to really do it in 2007 and he did it so good that we couldn't believe. No withdrawal symptoms of any kind and his pack of cigarette remained in the car for a month and his lighter in his pocket. The carton of cigarette was also in his home drawer. That was to assure himself against a relapse. And after one month, he got rid of all his smoking paraphernalia.
    Zyni and Winterybella like this.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a good achievement and keep it up. :)
    Yes, your son should really be your motivation since it will be for his good, everyone around you and for you of course. It might not be easy but it is really possible especially with your son beside you.
    deanokat likes this.