An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Electronic Cigarettes- Could they really phase out cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by chiefingplatypus, Jan 26, 2015.

1. I used to be a teen smoker for approximately three years until about a year ago, when I was introduced to electronic cigarettes. I now own a nice mod with a dark horse RDA, and I exclusively vape. With delicious choices such as Milk & Honey, Grape Drink, and Blueberry pie in a variety of different nicotine strengths, I am completely convinced that electronic cigarettes are a healthier, tastier alternative than any other tobacco product. Plus it looks cool. Discuss.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I am a big fan of e-cigs myself - they have helped me to quit smoking (although I am still a nicotine addict, of course!). I never really thought about whether it looks "cool" or not though - whenever I see someone vaping I just assume they are trying to quit real cigarettes like me.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have read somewhere online that electronic cigarettes are not safe. It was said there that harmful chemicals are present on it that could lead to some diseases. I forgot what are those diseases but I think one can easily read about the harmful effects of e-cigs by simply Googling it. I am not a smoker and have not used the epgicarette.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am not sure how safe they are, but I am sure that there are still some risks associated with using them. They probably are a safer alternative than inhaling smoke, not to mention people around you do not have to breathe it in.
  5. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

A few of my friends got them and I've tried a few different kinds of e-cigs. All of them repulsed me. There was one that was bareable, but it was way too expensive for my budget. Either way, I've heard/read too many health risks to actually commit myself to e-cigs(kind of funny considering the whole regular cigarette thing). I'd rather just quit then use e-cigs, and I'm already getting there without them, so why throw another potential addiction on my plate? As far as e-cigs replacing regular cigarettes in society? I used to think so until recently where local and state governments have been banning e-cigs in/at certain places. It started off with banning them from inside use at places like hospitals, then schools, then government buildings. Then they started banning them in all buildings(such as restaurants). Now, recently, they banned them anywhere where regular cigarettes are banned. So who knows, but my opinion has definitely shifted to no based on what has happened recently.
  6. piez

piez Member

I have one myself. I really like it and still use it. I used it exclusively for about two months until I was stupid enough to try a real cigarette again just to see if I still liked them. Obviously I did because now I smoke real ones and use my e cigarette. Thankfully I don't smoke as much as I used to though.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have tried a friends vap it taste good. Then I tried another friends vap it like to have straggled me to death. I haven't personally went out, and bought the vap juice, and the e cigarette. I did buy an e cigarette just the kind that looks like a real smoke, that came with the liquid Nicotine. I tried using it, but again it's to strong makes me gag. Plus it weighs to much in my hand. It sets in a drawer collecting dust.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, I'm not a smoker, but I think electronic cigarettes can be a good alternative for chain-smokers, as it is (as far as I know) more environmental friendly.
    RingoBerry likes this.
  9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I tried to replace cigs with a vape, but it did not work. Instead of quitting one for the other, I was vaping AND smoking. I enjoyed the smell and taste of vaporizers in all their flavorful variety, but just could not nip cigarette smoking in the butt (haha butt, get it?)
  10. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I think it is best if you could use vaping to get rid of the smoking habit, but then slowly cut the vaping habit too. Like any scientific studies, every day they come up with a new fact/theory about vaping. One day they say it is fine, the other day they say the fumes effect the lungs so better be safe than sorry.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's waht I'm doing right now. I still haven't smoked a real cigarette yet but I'm vaping a lot less and have managed to reduce the nicotine content in my e-cig. I'm planning on stopping using it completely in a couple of months.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  12. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Yep I kept wishing that those electronic cigarettes worked for me, I would've quit smoking long ago. Unfortunately I suffered some irritation for using them hence throwing me back to my old habit.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm seeing a lot of my friends turn to vaping as well and I've tasted it before and I'm now a believer that it does work as a substitute. I once thought it couldn't possibly be powerful enough to convince smokers to transition but after I tasted it I knew that there was finally a good enough substitute. Also, like you've mentioned, it's even better than cigarettes because you get to use many different flavors whereas cigarettes only have one.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Can you not just quit smoking without an aid of an alternative method for this vice? Because (I know it's a cliché) but smoking is dangerous to your health. Just concerned here.
  15. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I do not want to discourage anybody who is using e-cigs but it might be better if one does not get addicted to e-cigs instead of normal cigarettes. I think there are real downsides to e-cigs so it is better not to depend on them too much.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Healthier option? More like the lesser of two evils. I don't like at it like a healthier choice. It just won't harm you as bad or as quickly as regular cigarettes. Will ecig or vapor phase out cigarettes? No. Maybe for those who have access to these modern inventions they will stop smoking cigarettes. In third world countries they don't have access to to e cig or pipes.
  17. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well electronic cigarettes seem be to be a better alternative to tobacco. I am however still concerned about any form of smoking as it must play some role in developing lung problems. If you have to smoke then go the electronic cigarette way because tobacco has been proven to cause lung cancer.