An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Electronic Cigs as a form of cessation

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Cryyo, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

I've been considering switching to electronic cigs to help me quit for quite a while now. The FDA says they don't help you quit, so they aren't a cessation device. I sthis true? I think I might even be better off smoking ecigs for the rest of my life than smoking real cigs anyway, right?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's more like picking the lesser of 2 evils. That's the best way I can explain it. Ecigs is not healthier, but it is less harmful than regular cigarettes. I have friends that are using the gum and patch to ease off of cigarettes. So far it is helping.
    MichelleVL likes this.
  3. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Hi - I am a regular smoker. I smoke about 4 to 5 cigs per day and none over the weekend or any holiday when my missus is at home :). I wanted to try the nicotine patch / gum but was aware if there are any side effects. Do the patches itch? Do they form rashes? Is it possible to take an overdose of gum/patches? What will happen if I do it by mistake?

Btw I have hypertension and take medication daily.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think you may need to check that with a healthcare professional, just in case there is a potential interaction with your medication. Of course, you'll need a whole lot less medication when you quit and I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to quit.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I agree with JoshPosh, you are still smoking and your brain still identifies it as smoking, you are just not breathing in actual smoke and all of the chemicals and bad stuff that tobacco contains. Part of the smoking addiction is the habit of actually smoking on something and that is the 2nd most important habit that you have to learn to break after putting down the actual pack of cigarettes. Vaping is still a form of smoking and that is a habit that you also need to break if you really are going to quit.
  6. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I use an e-cig and though it's taken a while I've slowly weaned myself off nicotine. I'm at the lowest amount right now and feel pretty ready to give it up soon. I personally think the FDA is full of BS, they would prefer you to but Nicorette or patches that have a low success rate so you will continue to smoke and pay sin taxes!
  7. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I wanted to hear good things from the ecigs! I have been thinking just like Cryyo that I'd do the ecig and hopefully that would get me on my way. I am not sure what are my steps now. Go straight to patches and gum? What is the road I should be on?
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Cold turkey is bound to fail with most people because there will still be stress in your life and it will be hard to do. Go with gum and patches. You put the patches on in the morning and then just chew the gum as you feel the need. Good luck to you.
  9. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I guess you need to make lifestyle changes or be ready to make life style changes before you can quit or as soon as you quit. I am situational smoker and i know that if I can avoid those situations, I can control my smoking. For example, I smoke over the week but I do not over the weekend as I am with my family and make it a point never to smoke in front of my wife or kid. I do not even feel the urge to smoke. On the other hand, over the weekdays, I smoke whenever I have finished lunch or whenever I have coffee. (Since you cannot smoke in office, you have to go out for coffee and then smoke). Whenever I stop drinking coffee, I smoke one cigarette less. If I am on a vacation for a week and spending my time with my family, I do not smoke the entire week. Unfortunately, it is easier said than done as I am not able to do it myself :)
  10. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Mmm I think this could be a distraction if you want to quit, especially if the ecig has nicotine, but if someone isn't really really determined to quit smoking tobacco, he/she will eventually return to the normal cigarrettes, at least that was my experience.
  11. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I started vaping as a replacement for cigarettes and I can honestly say that it does work. The only difference with me was that I was already over cigarrettes by the time I started vaping. I think that it's half you wanting to quit, and the other half is fining something to do with the time you would normally spend smoking.
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Assuming you have the money to spend on it, I can't see any downsides to giving it a try. They never did work for me. Something about nicotine without the added chemicals found in traditional cigarettes leaves me fairly anxious. Anyone who's experimented with more that one nicotine delivery system can tell you that there's more than just nicotine that keeps you addicted to cigarettes.

I can, however, see how it would be beneficial to take on one of those chemical dependencies at a time.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

FDA says they won't help you. Gee, I wonder why they say that. Lol oh God that is funny. They don't profit from it. The FDA board makes money off of the drug companies of course they will say that. The people that vote on that have a vested interest in pharmaceuticals.
  14. Lola2485

Lola2485 Member

I was able to quit for 6 months on the e-cigarette, that's the longest I've gone since I'm 15 years old (I'm 30 now). I did start smoking again thanks to a Vegas trip and a desire to smoke again.
    I noticed a huuuge difference in my lung capacity, ability to walk longer distances and uphill without huffing and puffing. My voice went up an octave. No kidding!
    I have not seen much of the current studies surrounding the idea that e-smoking is better for you than smoking-smoking, but my personal experience was positive. My car, clothes, and hair ceased smelling like a butt. I want to get back to that, but as I'm tallying the time, that was two years ago since I restarted tobacco.
    Smoking is terrible, I wish it was as easy to put down as it was to pick up. My biggest success was with the ecig, and it makes me feel more confident about tackling it again in the near future.
    Hope some of this helps.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Have you ever thought of reading or looking at the video by Allen Carr. The book and video is easyway to stop smoking and it might be the boost you are looking for. If you look for it on YouTube you will find not only the video but the audio book. The best part is that you don't have to quit while you are seeing or hearing it. Give it a try.
  16. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Cryyo: that's right, e-cigs are way safer than traditional cigarettes and your better off vaping rather than smoking. just choose your brand with care so that the nicotine levels and other specifications of the device satisfies you....
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I know someone who quit using an electronic cigarette. It's about what works for you and what doesn't. If you feel that vaping would make you feel better and eventually get rid of your addiction, go for it. You got nothing to lose. It can actually be really effective. Give it a try and see how things progress. Good luck!
  18. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I think e-cigs will definitely help you quit cigarettes, but it might not help you quit the nicotine. I successfully stopped smoking cigarettes when I made the switch to the vape. I felt so much better. I eventually lowered my nicotine doses little by little until it got to 0mg. Now I have stopped completely and no longer smoke anything. :)
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

As for e-cigs being a good way to stop smoking, you'll hear different opinions. There are some people who say they do help and others who say they don't help. An article I read on the Guardian seemed to suggest that if E-cigs were to help someone quit smoking then they'd have to use them more frequently. Whether that works or not though is not confirmed. Results apparently, vary from person to person.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/21/ecigarettes-giving-up-smoking-research-nicotine

Two new research papers suggest e-cigarettes may help smokers trying to kick the habit, but only if they are used every day, instead of infrequently. It may also be more beneficial to use the versions with refillable “tanks”, which could deliver a higher dose of nicotine.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The big issues people also have with e-cigs, is are you just replacing one habit with another? While an e-cig might not be as bad for you, your still inhaling something into your lungs, and then a few seconds later exhaling it, so in that respect still smoking?