An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Electronic Cigs as a form of cessation

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Cryyo, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

It's way better than actually smoking for sure.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I agree with Joshposh as well. You are just picking the less of two evils. If you think the ecigs will help you wean off the real cigs then give it a try. Though I suggest you still do some research and ask plenty of questions. You want to be informed about side effects from ecigs, patches and anything else as much as possible.
  3. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

My husband had been a smoker since the age of nine. Two years ago he started using e-cigarettes and he hasn't touched a cigarette since. It works for some people, but not everyone. He just didn't like the taste of cigarettes after having vaper. And just FYI it is not toxic.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I wouldn't say e-cigs aren't effective because some people were able to overcome their addiction to smoking by temporarily replacing actual cigarettes with electronic ones until they could finally break the habit. Just proceed with caution, though. E-cigs have a dark side too. Read this study from WebMD for elucidation: http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/electronic-cigarettes.
  5. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Another example of various experiences. I have two friends who tried these cigarettes and one quit tobacco and the other quit the e-cig. When i spoke with them about that first one told me the exact thing that my friend who tried the orange thing. In the end it was his will to quit and not the product. The other guy the exact thing but the opposite direction. I guess it is all in our minds, we just need to be strong. My personal opinion on this products is this. Imagine that me as a vegetarian trying to find meat substitute in a sense of taste and flavour. That is just wrong and the point is not to want meat, and not to prove that you can not eat it. I do not need beef flavoured vegan burgers. I escaped all of it because i honestly did not want to eat a 'murder'. So if you want to quit you need to honest to your self and see if you want to.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think using e-cigs to ween yourself off of smoking may be the best thing to do. If you just keep smoking cigarettes of any kind it will eventually have an effect on your health. E-cigs are the lesser of two evils but it's not smart to just keep using them thinking your avoiding the long term effects of smoking. Weening is the only way to quit smoking if your going to quit smoking.
  7. Leanna_Jeanne

Leanna_Jeanne Member

I didn't have much luck with e-cigs to quit smoking but I have several friends who were very successful going this route- not only quit smoking cigarettes, but were also able to gradually lower their nicotine levels until, eventually, they no longer felt a need for any. Since we aren't sure what all the health risks are with e-cigs, I think going into it with the mindset of weaning off of nicotine rather than just replacing cigarettes is your best bet!
  8. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Oh darn! Well that kind of puts a damper on things. I was actually going to give the e-cigs a try because I thought it could help me deal with my oral fixation while attempting to quit smoking, but it's like you said, it's like picking a lesser evil. So I'm still in the mess anyways.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Well, I'm not really sure about this but I have heard that e-cigarettes are also addictive, they aren't as dangerous in comparison to a regular cigarette but it's also dangerous. I also have considered in buying e-cigarettes but now I prefer quitting smoking with the old school method, lol.
  10. Sid Vaenar

Sid Vaenar Member

Well I tried to replace "analog" cigarettes with e-cigs many times but always returned to regular smoking. Right now e-puffing for over 4 months, zero "real" cigarettes so far. Are e-cigs a form of cessation to me? They are, kinda. However after so many quit attempts I see them as alternative way of smoking . Much like chewing tobacco can replace smoking for some.

Like many others said here, yes they seem to be less dangerous. I noticed some major health improvements, almost no coughing anymore, better breathing, returning of the sense of smell etc. Just keep in mind they usually REPLACE smoking rather than help you quit nicotine intake.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

I've been using one lately, and I've got to say it has really helped me with the cravings. I know it will never take the place of a real cigarette, but it really does help to cut back. But it will never replicate successfully the taste of burning paper and tobacco.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, it's better than your usual cigarette but that doesn't really mean anything. You're still gonna be addicted to the substance, but I guess if you can't quit for good then you should go with these.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Have read that e-cigs are really not for cessation but other way of getting the nicotine. Better to really try quitting it totally or at least cutting little by little. That will be the real healthy option.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

It will be worse still if you are addicted to e cigarettes. Many people think that they are a choice to quit smoking but their long term effects are not yet known. I know that they are also addictive, which is the bad side of them. Try and quit smoking and never think about e cigs.
  15. Sid Vaenar

Sid Vaenar Member

Well I know certain people who quit using e-ciggies. Some are still vaping (smoking) 0mg no-nicotine liquids though.

Like I said it is very personal, some will quit smoking and continue vaping only. Others will quit completely. Some will return to smoking or mix it with e-cigs.
  16. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I think what makes the e-cigs a preferred choice is the absence of nicotine which is the addictive substance in cigarettes. So I would use the e-cig to help me stop smoking the cigarette then hopefully it will be easier to stop using it if I want to.
  17. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Former smoker here, managed to quit by going cold turkey... I must tell you that I've tried Ecigs the very first time before actually trying cold turkey, and must say they aren't very effective. We don't know that much about their effects on your health, but it's considered to have even worse chemical compounds within it that affect you even worse. Now I don't vouch for traditional smoking; all I'm saying is that you should try other healthier methods. Ecigs are just an excuse to continue smoking. Don't do that!!!
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, some new studies suggest that e-cigs are not that safe as people think, but depending on the ingredients used to make the juice they might not be so bad. The person needs to make sure to know what the e-juice he is using is made of. If you compare e-cigs to a cigarette then of course the e-cig will always be a better option.
  19. Sid Vaenar

Sid Vaenar Member

Care to cite the source of these new studies? As a 100% ecig smoker who quit "analog cigarettes" I'm very interested in this information.
  20. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I know a lot of people that switch fully to ecigs, the only issue is, they can then not quit the ecigs.