An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Electronic Cigs as a form of cessation

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Cryyo, Jan 1, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well if it will help you get weaned off of it so do it, I think that's far better than smoking cigarettes. They are a safer alternative. If it will work for you then well and good, my bro tried e-cigs before but he still came back to smoking cigarettes.
  2. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I see it as a good thing when it helps people but I know some people that just get addicted to them as well.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you want to quit don't switch to any thing. Just give up straight away. If you try e-cigarette in order to quit cigarette, you may be able to give up cigarette but will be addicted to e-cigarette
  4. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

E-cigs in my opinion are a great way to quit smoking, but I wouldn't consider using it for a lifetime. The main reason is that e-cigs create a very hot vapour that goes into your lungs. Which, over time can create a sore/ dry throat because of the vapour.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When they first launched e-cigarettes they said that it would help people quit smoking. Till now I haven't seen or heard of anyone quitting because of them. I think there is truth in that statement.
  6. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

I personally wouldn't rely on electronic cigarettes to give them up. Because if you smoke these it doesn't mean you're no longer bound to the other. While there are some good ways to give up smoking out there (and some may even work!) I'd recommend you to go to the doctor first and ask for some good ways to abandon the habit. If there are no other ways or choices to do remember that we have a loving God who's able to do anything if you go to Him.
  7. Oguh

Oguh Member

I'm pretty well versed with the evidence on this and Ecig are as good, if not slighlty better than other methods, like patches and gums, to quit smoking wich means: it doesn't work that great. If like me you weren't strong enought to quit smoking then all the evidence avalaible today will tell you that smoking and ecig is better for you than smoking a cigarette by an incredibly wide margin.
    Still would be better not to smoke anything, of course :/.
  8. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Be careful if you still plan on using these electronic cigarettes because I heard some very disturbing horror stories. They have the potential to blow up and other side effects...and I'm not entirely sure they are safe and not causing something more serious. Please do your research on this product.
  9. Joethefirst

It still isn't clear whether it is a safer alternative or not, there haven't been that many studies done. Time will tell.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If that's the case, then I guess if possible then quitting cold turkey is the best way to go.
  11. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Соmbinеd rеsults frоm twо studiеs, invоlving оvеr 600 pеоplе, shоwеd thаt using аn ЕС соntаining niсоtinе inсrеаsеd thе сhаnсеs оf stоpping smоking lоng-tеrm соmpаrеd tо using аn ЕС withоut niсоtinе. Using аn ЕС with niсоtinе аlsо hеlpеd mоrе smоkеrs rеduсе thе аmоunt thеy smоkеd by аt lеаst hаlf соmpаrеd tо using аn ЕС withоut niсоtinе.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The problem with these e-cigs is they can explode. I was watching the news not long ago and heard about a e-cig exploding in someones face. I think they should ban these because they have become way too dangerous. This isn't even a safer alternative to anything anymore.
  13. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

E-gis are not what they adverise it as. I don't think its a better way for quitting smoking, its more of picking up a new addiction. Please before you make a decision make a quick research on the topic and see the bigger picture. Don't fall for that, its just a new cool way to make money off us and its hasn't been around for long enough to be sure its healthier, remember they thought cigarettes were good for you in the old days, only the time revealed how bad they really were. I only say this because the consequences of e-cigs are starting to show up, and they are not better than smoking cigarettes.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It definitely can help you get off cigarettes. The problem is you are just finding a different way of getting the nicotine. That said, it does appear that vaping and e-cigs are a safer in that they don't have as many chemicals as regular cigarettes.
  15. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I agree cigarettes can be very stifling and it is hard to really get off of them. I can not understand what can make someone never ever want to give them up with all that is being said about them. It is a hard pill to swallow when you try cigarettes for the first time and then you realize you gotta have them. The illusion of relaxation and all that they bring is just disheartening in the long run.
  16. Joethefirst

I see what you are saying if you can't quit then it's better that you vape. I think that your right, it's the better of two evils.
  17. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally think that they might not help you quit but they somehow help you to slowly stop doing it and getting used to another kind of cigarette, you just gotta go slowly, step by step on the way to quit smoking, it is going to be a rough way but it is gonna be worth it once you reach it, good luck and have faith in yourself.
  18. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

If you are a high-level addict, you can use the vaping devices as a tool to decrease the addiction level. If you are not an addict, you can simply get rid of cigars instead of using the vaping devices. Well, the vaping devices are as dangerous as the real cigars and don't think that it is going to benefit you. I would recommend you to leave the cigars. I have also left cigars few months ago by getting motivation from various success stories on the Internet.
  19. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

You can try whatever works. If patches work, great. If e-cigs work great. If drinking concentrated tea works, even better. As long as you are able to let go off the older habit, its a good thing! I know that these alternatives do work and personally know people who have used them to quit smoking regular cigarettes.