An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Elite addiction recovery

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by remnant, Feb 26, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have come across some individuals who have made a one time decision to stop smoking or drinking or both. Whether they go through the throes of withdrawal symptoms is neither here nor there. One interesting fact I have noted is that they don't disengage from their peer group. They even patronise pubs but never seem to relapse.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's certainly not something any recovering addict should try because the first thing someone has to do to permanently beat their addiction is to stay away from people who they've been using drugs with, stay away from places where they used drugs, etc. One never should attempt to test themselves. Anyone can slip no matter how strong their willpower might be.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Well, I guess it depends on the person and the substance that one is addicted to. I have quit smoking and I have friends that still do. And we still hang out. I can go to bars and pubs and not touch any alcoholic beverage. But I guess it would be different perhaps if I was a recovering meth addict or trying to quit marijuana. Those substances are more addictive and I would probably have a hard time controlling my cravings for them.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Some people have a very strong sense of will power and they may be able to be around these people or go to those places and be able to resist the urge, but most people can not and should avoid those places, at least in the beginning stages. I was not able to be around smokers for a couple months after I quit because the urge was too much for me.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's quite an odd observation, they must have strong willpower to be able to resist not drinking if they still hang around the same people. But that is still quite risky to begin with, so recovering addicts should never try to test themselves or be in such tempting situations, or they might relapse.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm sure maybe some people could do it, but I imagine it would be the extreme minority. When I was an alcoholic, it wasn't anywhere near as simple as that notion of just flicking a switch and having the cravings go away. I also don't think that I could have frequented places that I associated with drinking. If anyone is that lucky with their recovery though then that's wonderful for them!
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I actually know quite a few people who have done it this way and they seem to be the most successful at sticking at it. It's like they literally have s switch in their brain and can just make the decision and that's it, it's done. I've never known a heroin user to do it though. Just under two years ago, a friend of mine decided to just quit everything all together (tobacco, weed, alcohol) all on the same day. He hasn't touched any of them since.
  8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that is a good place to start if you want to control yourself, after recovery you're going to face with multiple triggers, especially because alcohol and tobacco are a big part of a lot of people's social life, so that way, they are going to me sort of prepared for it, but it also depends on the person.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I would say that they're the exception to the rule and not the rule. They might have good focus and willpower to be able to do that so quickly. For a lot of us, even just a simple trigger can lead to a relapse especially during those first few days. And it's especially hard to deal with the withdrawal symptoms. And knowing that other addicts were able to quit cold turkey even without the withdrawal symptoms, I am amazed by their capabilities.

Again, all people are different and we cannot say that one treatment or strategy works for all. The good thing is, we can always use a strategy and another and another, if the previous ones don't work. With regards to these elite addiction recoverers, I congratulate them and applaud them. But for those who struggled a lot before being able to quit successfully, I congratulate and applaud them as well since they were able to quit despite the challenges.
  10. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

When becoming an addict you make friends wherever you had an addiction, for example a bar. It's like making friends in high school. You usually try to keep in touch with them.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

When I was young I drank alcohol, loved it and did not know when to stop. Life was one big party and I always got drunk. I drank so much that people used to challenge me to drinking competitions. It was through my faith in Jesus Christ that I suddenly stopped drinking and smoking. I never touched either for about 25 yrs. Then one day I had a sip of wine at a work celebration and realized that it no longer had a hold on me. I don't buy alcohol, but I do enjoy a glass of red wine if I go out for dinner or a family celebration. I am not addicted, but in control, where previously the alcohol controlled me. Drinking does not scare me as I just don't let it get out of hand. A glass or two are enjoyable with good food and friends. This does not happen very often and I never crave for alcohol, but am able to enjoy a glass now and again, for many years now. I do believe that drinking relaxed me and made me feel better about myself. I recall going into night clubs and when I danced before having a drink, I would actually shake. This is a type of social anxiety, but I am all better now and no longer need alcohol as medication.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I think that's what you call "innate resiliency." There are people like that but not everyone has the same level of alcohol tolerance or resistance. Perhaps its in their genetic makeup or they simply have a stronger resolve and control over themselves than most people. Also, when people know what their priorities are, they can no longer go back to what they once were.
  13. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It is true that the friends we keep can either make us or break us. When we notice a friend of ours is trying to avoid what we commonly share, we need to be reasonable enough to assist by meeting elsewhere rather than clubs or pubs just to show support. Rather, we make so much fun that the purpose of quitting is abandoned because of peer pressure.

Many of us are guilty of this.