An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Emerging Free-Apps

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by CarpeDiem252, Aug 10, 2015.

1. CarpeDiem252

CarpeDiem252 Member

Hello Everyone,

Given the modern era is now enamored by apps, it is not surprising that new apps are being created everyday to assist those who are trying to recover. While I haven't tried them all I have found there are two distinct ways which apps try to help steer people away from their addictive actions. The first method I found was the fear method. These apps usually require people to log in the moments when they gave into their addiction. For example, say a person is try to quit smoking. When the moment came that the person gave into their addiction and smoked a cigarette, they would log that into their app. In return the app would provide them with details about the negative health consequences that came about just from that one cigarette. Personally, I do not like this method for I believe people will stop using the app because of all the depressive information. The second method in contrary I am quite fond of for it focuses on reward. These apps constantly update the user about all the beneficial health consequences that occur the greater the length of time the user goes without smoking. I personally love these apps because they bring a sense of accomplishment and pride to the user. In essence you feel good about not smoking rather than feel depressed about smoking. If you could all give your input on the topic, I would love to hear from you all.

CD252
    kgord likes this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Wow, there truly is an app for everything isn't there? I like the reward apps. I think they would be more effective. However, the negative apps might have a place as well. I think that you should try whatever works for you. I think different things work for different people. Apps may well be the items that will give you the extra push to stay straight and on your path to good health!
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Great post! I've been wanting to do something like this myself. I learned how to develop Android apps a few years ago and would really love to put some kind of recovery app together, not just for smoking or for a specific substance but an app which encompasses as many fields as possible - substance misuse, addiction, recovery from abuse, self-improvement, etc. I agree that the reward theme is the best way to go. It's always best to stay positive. What I would like to do is have the app provide the user not only with a sense of accomplishment but to encourage them to use that accomplishment to do something productive thereby also giving them a sense of achievement leaving them feeling rewarded. I also have ideas for other apps but actually sitting down and creating them is very time consuming and I don't exactly have that much time on my hands. In fact, there are so many things I'd love to do, I doubt I'll ever find the time to do them. At least not in this lifetime anyway!
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Well... if the fear method worked, wouldn't people have stopped buying cigarettes a long time ago? Especially with the informative and visual scary announcements on every package.

I like the positive reinforcement. Especially because it gets people on a small scale, cig to cig -- like, hey, okay, I could smoke this one --- but if I don't, I'm this much better off. I might smoke later but right now, I think I can pass -- kind of feeling!
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

I agree with the free apps being very helpful and motivational. However, I would not use it as your sole support system. I think it could be used in conjunction with therapy. Many therapist could find them useful to refer clients to.
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Thanks Carpe , that was some helpful information...I can see how those apps could be beneficial, especially nowadays that everyone on their phones all the time...some reward messages popping up could be helpful for someone who's trying to quit.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I had no idea there was apps like those out there! I agree with you, the first method is bound to be the preferred one by most people. Because well, telling a smoker all the bad effects smoking has on their body has never helped them want to quit... it always backfires, and most of them know how bad smoking really is, yet they don't stop. It's obvious another method is needed and yes, that first app you mentioned is bound to fail.
  8. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I've heard of those apps, they tend to tell you how long you have been clean, give you words and encouragement, and manage tracking very well. I haven't tried one, because I feel like I won't have the patience to use it that much.
  9. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Hey great topic and good reminder to check on these apps! I used one when I quit smoking and it was so helpful! It tracked things like % of oxygen in blood normalized, how well my lungs were healing, how much money I was saving and all kinds of interesting data. I checked the app religiously for the first couple weeks in the quitting process, and even months later I would check it from time to time to feel happy about how much money I had saved!
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not encounter an app for recovery yet but right that it is not surprising that there are those kind of apps. A lot have been created to help various conditions or for various uses. Good thing that there could be free apps that can really be useful.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Apps are good anyday. Whether to instill fear or for positive reinforcement provided the goal is to the benefit of the addict. They should be used in conjunction with other methods not in isolation. For instance, I find the graphic images on cigarettes quite effective. But at the end of the day, it boils down to ones conscience and willpower.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

There's a really good app out there called Sober Grid. It helps you find sober people close to your location. You can communicate with them, ask for a ride to a meeting, reach out when you're feeling tempted to drink/use, etc. Check it out if you get a chance.