An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Encouraging Children To Make Friends With Adults

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Rainman, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Teens tend to trust their friends more than their parents. It is therefore in the best interests of parents to encourage their children to make friends with adults [who aren't addicts]. Should the kids have questions which they aren't comfortable asking their parents or struggling with peer pressure they'll have someone who can give the sort of advice which they'd find useful.

What do you think? Would this help?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am not sure how much this would help because it would still be an older person and unless they really looked up to them they wouldn't really talk about their problems with them. Teenagers only tell you what they know you want to hear. They never really open up to anybody besides their close circle of friends and even then they may not share everything.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think better for kids to be friends with their parents than other adults. Some of those other adults might take advantage of their being young. Their parents will guide them on choosing the right friends if they will have information of those friends their kids have.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

I always found my grandparents to be the best people to talk to, when I was a teenager. They have experienced life and that is why they managed to stay together for the rest of their lives. Grandparents do talk to the young ones through stories that are educative and through songs. If your parents are alive then I will recommend that you let your kids know that they can be asking for advice from them, if they shy away from talking to you as their parent.