An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Endings Are Beginnings

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, Mar 17, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi everyone! :)

Well, as my son's graduation comes near I just pondered upon a thought that I think would be good to share here. Graduations are usually the end of one level of a person's education and the sign of the beginning of another level or chapter full of promising things. I can compare this with life in general and with the journey of recovery in addiction.

When we decide to end something in our lives, it will never mean that it s truly the end of it. It only means that we are also deciding to start anew with a more improved version of ourselves and a more promising future ahead. In addiction, if an addict decides to finally end the addiction and start the search for sobriety it only means that what was ended has resulted to a better beginning.

We shouldn't be afraid of endings and goodbyes. Instead, let us embrace them as opportunities to welcome a new day into our lives and live in a brighter horizon that has always been waiting for us long ago.

So with this, I encourage you to end what's unworthy of keeping and start your journey to a beautiful beginning.
    Winterybella, kassie1234 and deanokat like this.
  2. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Thank you for sharing this, I really needed to read it.

Another way I've thought about it is that destruction must lead to rebuilding. It is up to us whether the destruction was in vain or not.
    Winterybella and gracer like this.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, the only thing that's constant in our life is change, so we should not resist it when it happens and just embrace it. And depending on the circumstances, it could be a good change or a bad change.
    gracer likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think as long as we're ready for that new beginning in our lives and we're ready for change and the future, then we can make anything possible.

Constantly holding on to the past can never be a good thing, and at some point everyone needs change.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I love your post, it's truly inspirational and motivational. I do think that every ending means a new beginning. It can be applicable in relationships, career and as well as addictions, right? I think that if something is making your life miserable, torn apart and overall unproductive, why let it stay? Welcome the opportunity to embrace change and leave your past behind. After all, you can make that change happen.

I love it, endings are beginnings... I hope we all have the courage to recognise when to end things and start anew. Thankfully, being sober and clean helps with that. Good luck everyone and take care!
    gracer likes this.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

This is all true and very much the same as closing the door to your past before you can enter your future. You cannot move into the future without letting go of the past. You have to get loose from whatever is holding you back. There is no choice really when you leave hell and look forward to a Wonderful and Blessed life. It is never too late to begin again and there is always hope! The truth is you don't have a drink or drugs, it has you! You need take control because you can.
    gracer likes this.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Thank you so much for all your positive and wonderful responses. :) Although it's really hard to end things most of the time, sometimes we really have to face the pain and let go of things we've been used to for us to be able to move on to a more beautiful beginning. Oftentimes, beginnings could also be very hard but we must keep holding on for us to be able to reap the fruits of our sacrifices and live the life that we truly deserve.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that ending a bad habit is already the start of a better beginning. We should not be afraid of good start cause it will be better than to remain in a bad situation or decision. Nothing is going to change if you will not start doing something about it.
    gracer likes this.
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

You couldn't have said it better @gracer. Life is all about beginnings and endings; we need to pick ourselves up when we fall, no matter how many times it happens. Things happen for a reason and we learn from our mistakes.

Thanks for the post.
    gracer likes this.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's a beautiful thought when you think of it that way! I think back to when I originally decided to commit to sobriety - I thought my life was ending then. I wondered how I would have any fun, and how I would socialize...how would I make friends if I wasn't confident with alcohol running through my veins?

But - it was the best thing I ever did. The start of a new life, so to speak -- and such a better life! I feel like now I am truly myself instead of trying to be someone I'm not.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

@gracer , thank you for this post. It's quite timely. It's the kind of principle you can apply to life.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

When one door closes another one opens. It is kind of the only way to look at it. Sometimes you've got to get to the point of realizing that what may come is going to be light years better than what is ending. Roll with the punches.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Endings means a new beginning. In Hinduism, even the death is interpreted as a new beginning. According to Hindu philosophy, there is no absolute ending. There is no end to anything. Ending means just a temporary stoppage.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When you are reading a book there is always a happy and sad ending after reading it right? But you will always learned good words of wisdom from it. This is the same with our life we must realize that if something had reached its ending it is only a finishing chapter in our life. Whether we had made mistakes from that chapter in our life just think of the lessons and good moral values you had learned in the past. But instead always think that it is the new beginning of a new chapter and vision in your life.