An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Entertainment Ideas to Prevent Temptation

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by irishrose, Oct 23, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

In my family, we have a recovering alcoholic as well as an individual with a drinking problem. For this reason, when we get together we usually avoid bars and other venues that offer alcohol. It seems to help a little bit by easing some tension in our family at least, if nothing else.

When we get together, we typically stay in and play board or card games, watch movies, and cook and eat dinner together. What are some other entertainment ideas for families to do who are trying to avoid being around alcohol? Are there any other families that do this? Any ideas for some good, clean, family fun?
    Damien Lee and kassie1234 like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

We love board games here too, and we cook a lot as well! Usually what we do each weekend is pick a random recipe that interests us online, and give it a try. It could be a brand new cuisine we've never tried, it could be an amazing looking baked dessert - just something to challenge us! We also just like being outdoors, we're in a great area for nature so going for walks or bike rides, or things like that. I know that it's kind of going outside the realm of staying in, but we find that keeping fit and active is huge for our mental and physical health.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some alcohol-free fun activities:

- Play some lawn tennis.
    - Go hiking.
    - Do some volunteer work.
    - Got tourist spots in town? Take a look around.
    - Solve crossword puzzles together.
    - Play video games together.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's really great that you're proactive about the problem. I think you're doing the right thing and the activities that you mention are absolutely perfect. Perhaps, you can go on a picnic or go hiking together as a family, whenever the weather is agreeable. It's always good to get out and be in a natural environment. Helps lift up one's spirits.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I personally have several ideas that don't involve alcohol or drugs. One of them is simply having a family meal together, but in the garden! I love hate idea of grilling in the backyard or go camping somewhere and grill there :) You can have an amazing family picnic somewhere nice or in your own backyard and have so much fun without alcohol. There are more ideas, like for example organizing visits to museums or similar places.
  6. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I really do like the affection and commitment within your family. Addicts in recovery usually need a lot of support and to see especially family helping out, it could give them a boost of inspiration to quit the addiction totally. It is my honest opinion however that it is not possible to prevent a temptation by using means of entertainment. That will only delay the inevitable. One needs to work on what's on the inside. Surrounding oneself with good educational and spiritual stuff is the key.
  7. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello everyone, hope all of you are doing well! I think that among the best things you can do to avoid temptation is playing sports. Playing sports makes you exercise and this releases many chemicals in our brains that fight off depression and other craving. This has been scientifically proven.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Your family sound so considerate @irishrose. All too often, people are simply expected to trail along to the pub and to just sit there trying to be happy with an orange juice whilst everyone else is having a "real" drink.

How about a family quiz? There are plenty of question sheets which you can print from the internet and you could even stretch to a "booby prize" for the person who did the worst.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

My father has already abstained from alcohol due to health issues. On the other hand, my mother never really became a heavy drinker. I don't think my brother likes drinking as well, so yeah, in my family, no one is currently recovering or having drinking problems. Anyway, I believe watching movies, playing board games, and having a picnic together would be a good idea.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

What about going on a trip, and doing exciting activities such as hiking or biking? They help a lot with releasing the tension. If you prefer to do static stuff, go on a picnic or in a park instead. Anything that is relaxing and makes people feel good works. I love board games as well, but have no one to play them with.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think some of the things you mentioned may be pretty good. Anything that can be fun and entertaining would help. Being around people who don't drink is a plus if you want to quit also. Being creative is something that could go a long way when looking for distractions from an addiction. I think that some sports could help a great deal also. Just constantly looking for fun activities could help greatly.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Going to a theme park or a museum is ideal, aside from the other activites mentioned already. Playing badminton or billiards too is a good way to get yourselves entertained.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

There are some really cool coffee shops in my area that do things like open mike and live music.
    They only serve non-alcoholic drinks, so it's a great alternative to the traditional bar scene.
    Especially if one is comfortable in that setting but can no longer go to bars to listen to live bands.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me, any outdoor activities seemed to work, as when I was an alcoholic I associated staying in with having a drink, that's of course different for others though maybe.

As long as I was out and doing sonthing, my mind didn't turn to alcohol, so I filled my days with cycling, going to the gym and visiting friends and family, just to stop me from sitting in and opening a bottle.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Irishrose, you seem to be on the right track and your post brought into focus a lot of what we should be doing as families. Good clean entertainment can sometimes be a challenge but sometimes we forget a lot of the simple pleasures that are mentioned here. I am thankful for this and I am sure Irish can benefit from these suggestions.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is a good way on helping people who are in the recovery phase. :)
    In here, it is common to have videoke or sing along when there are get together. This is a great idea if most of you enjoy singing.
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

:D I'll go against the wind: why entertainment and not some sort of side income activity? Rather than wasting time, I think that it's a much better idea to work something rewarding together. It really helps the former addicts to see that they can bring value, trust me on this one.