An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ever got addicted to meth?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by rightct, May 2, 2015.

1. rightct

rightct Community Champion

In the past, I used to take meth. Not 3 times a day, but about once each 3 weeks. I just liked the sensation that would last for about 3 hours, and didn't really care about the long-time consequences. I was ashamed, of course, but I got to the point of not even caring about it. As I took it very rarely, I couldn't see too many side effects, but found my motivation and quit after all.
    What about you? Were you addicted and/or took it? If yes, tell us your story!
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

If it affects your daily life, then it can be considered an addiction. Once every three weeks could still technically be an addiction, depending upon the circumstances. I've never been addicted to meth, but I know others that have, and even some individuals on this board. It's one of the more popular addictive drugs after all.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've known only a handful of people that have taken it and didn't get hooked. So consider yourself lucky. I most people that do try it for the first time get instantly hooked and always go back for more. You are a rarity my friend. Your first couple of hits must of been odd. As I was told by others that tried it and quit, that it had a weird sensation that they weren't liking and stopped using it.
  4. ktdid

ktdid Member

In my travels, i have found most people who WANT to try meth usually end up addicts. There is no drug out there, that I've found anyways, that so effectively and immediately "fixes" one's problems. If the desire to use stems from a need to either stop feelings (most prevalent are guilt, pain, and shame), or to feel something (ie you crave new and/or exciting experiences).... meth will grab you by the balls and make you its bitch. The people who have used meth and walked away, have all been people who were living healthy lives, who were either regularly stimulated with new and exciting experiences in other ways, people who had acquired healthy coping strategies, or people who had activities or convictions that would not allow for drug use.
    In other words....unless you have had no trauma of any sort, are actively involved in various sports ventures and hobbies, travel regularly, attend cultural events, are pursuing further education on something, and have very deeply ingrained morals and values, don't try to be a "recreational user". It is highly unlikely that you will walk away unscathed.
  5. rightct

Sorry for the late reply.

I did consider myself lucky. Well, to be honest, this is a certain degree of "talent" since I can quit a drug without too much hassle if I impose myself I don't necessarily need it. An exception to this is when I used to smoke cigarettes and couldn't quit but after 2 weeks... that's another kettle of fish of course, but generally I can get back on my feet quite easily.
  6. rightct

Well, to be honest, I did think in the past that being a recreational user was to a certain degree "productive". I didn't reckon that occassional consumption was in any way bad nor counterproductive, but life told me otherwise when I had my first job and no longer was a kid anymore... I'm very glad that phase struck me all of a sudden because I would've ended pretty bad if it hadn't been for it.
  7. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I never got any close to meth knowing how dangerous it can be. The fact that you tried meth several times and managed to not get addicted is quite impressive.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Thankfully, I have never been around meth and I never will. I have colleagues who have been near it, and that is enough for me to go nowhere near it.
  9. missp

missp Member

I used to believe I was not addicted because I could stop when I truly needed to for legal matters -pregnancy - It has been my escape from reality when in need. Altho that 'need' may not be all the time , its 'needed' to replace that moment and human emotion, meaning this IS an addiction!
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never been addicted to meth, and I wouldn't even try it. It's such a horrible drug, and I don't need it in my life. I have to stay healthy no matter what.
  11. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I would never say I was addicted, but there was a time when i used meth regularly. I probably did it on weekends for 8-9 months. Whenever I did too much, though, it made my body feel ill. I stopped when my connect got arrested, never went chasing it.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, I have been addicted to meth and it's the only substance which ever really got a grip on like that. Even worse than crack cocaine and crack is pretty bad. I was taking the stuff every day. Not only did my body end up experiencing a horrendously painful physical crash as I collapsed in the street and started writhing around on the floor in agony but everything else in my life was coming crashing down too. Meth is horrible, it really affects your conscious attention in a profound way and you can lose track of time, you become disorganized and the worst part is that you don't even realize it's happening until it's too late.
  13. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

I've never personally been addicted the meth but I've known people who have. Its a strange drug and what it does is very noticeable. Unlike with heroin which murders the soul before it ever does the man, the effects of meth are displayed on the outside while the person still exists on the inside. You can look at someone on meth and see that underneath the hyperactivity, the facial twitches and the slurring speech, there is actually a person in there trying to get out. This is a scary drug.