An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ever went to work 'sick as a dog'?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by nm1180, Apr 8, 2015.

1. nm1180

nm1180 Member

I have. It really sucked. Everyone asked if I was ok and why I was sweating so bad. I just told them I think I was got food poisoning and had already thrown up a couple times. I have a feeling they knew what the deal was though.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh yes. Thankfully, I wasn't in a customer facing role at the time but my shaking and sweating did not go unnoticed by the others in the office. I claimed I had the 'flu but I'm sure they saw right through me.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

At two separate jobs, I've seen friends or at least work-only friends go through withdrawal symptoms while doing their jobs. They both were really nervous that everyone else could tell, but the rest of us were mostly supportive. Our support seemed to put each one at ease (different people, different times of course), and I saw each one in those separate situations seem to calm ever so slightly after they felt like they weren't being judged by the rest of us.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

My ex husband used to go to work more often than not with a hangover. If he wasn't hung over, he was still drunk from the night before. Be very careful with letting your personal fun get in the way of you making money. I've seen him get fired from 4 jobs for the same reason.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think everybody every now and again as gone to work hungover, especially after a special occasion or a celebration. It's when it gets to become the normal thing to do is when the problems start.

Obviously some jobs you can probably get away with it more than others but that still doesn't make it right.
  6. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I haven't, but I did go to school sick as a dog. Needless to say, it's not fun.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Yes, during my drinking days I often went to work feeling dizzy, disorientated and in pain, which where all symptoms of a hangover. I just went through those days, drinking plenty of orange juice and coffee which tended to make me feel better after a few hours. I also made every effort to eat something that wouldn't come back up again.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Yes, there were a few times where the managers just took one look at me and were like "go home and get some rest, you look awful" but there were other times I had to suck it up and work a shift. There were even times where I was doing cocaine on the job, to help pull me through after partying really hard the night before. I'm sure there was more than one occasion where I had cocaine residue coming out of my nose and didn't catch it in time.

And yes, your coworkers will notice if you keep needing to "go to the bathroom" like every 20 minutes (in the case of being hooked on cocaine) or if you are regularly sweating profusely and have blotchy skin, in the case of alcoholics.

This reminded me of an episode of Kitchen Nightmares, where Gordon was making fun of one of the employees in particular who was sweating like crazy throughout the whole show. I kind of felt bad for him because it was obvious he was a big drinker, but the show stopped short of calling him out on that.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I work from home but I've had to work while in this state before and it was awful. I'm just glad people weren't around me to notice but my family definitely did see a bit of it though and I still remember it today and I still wish that it went a lot better.
  10. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Oh yes...many times. I worked on a ranch so I could pretty much hide behind a building or a bail of straw during really bad "ralphing" sessions. I was lucky to have been working with animals, they don't care or not if you are writhing in agony and puking your guts out as long as they got fed! LOL, it funny though, sometimes I thought I heard the cows saying "bless her little heart" while shaking their heads. :)
    Diane Cervantes likes this.
  11. artkat96

artkat96 Member

Yeah, a few times. Luckily I was working on the slow days (I didn't work weekends).
  12. andrewjames

andrewjames Member

I always used to go into work hungover, especially when I worked the Saturday morning shift. Luckily I was working in a call-centre at the time, so I wasn't in direct contact with the public, but I did have to interact with them over the phone.

Nowadays I shudder to think how I managed to get through a day feeling the way I did. I am so glad that is all in my past now. Fingers crossed.
    Cellador likes this.
  13. Cellador

Cellador Member

I did that a few times. Possibly the worst experiences of my life. Not only was I hangover with all the usual symptoms pushed up to eleven, but there was also the shame factor. Everyone knew I was in a bad shape, and I knew they knew...

The feeling of shame is actually one of the main factors that made me quit drinking.
  14. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

I have a good few times. It's calmed down a lot since I've quit. Withdrawals are absolutely horrible, but I've tried to keep myself busy by going to work and keeping my mind occupied. I've had to go home a few times, just down to feeling too terrible to even function. Not good in a lab scenario :/
  15. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I never did (it wasn’t an issue for me at the time) but my friends used to do it on occasion. And in retrospect, I think I witnessed it when I was younger. I was in a production with an acquaintance who was going through a pretty rough breakup at the time, and he came to one of the later rehearsals sick as a dog. He claimed food poisoning, but I later realized he was probably hung over.
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

To work, no. But I felt like this multiple times, to be honest. Wasn't pleasant at all, and felt that I was giving out my soul. Fortunately, it hasn't happened in a while, so... I think I'm good.
  17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. But I rarely (close to never) absent so even if I was feeling really sick, I still tried to get up from the bed and went to work. I have also gone to school before feeling really awful.
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I use to go to work sick as a dog all the time. That is the worst no doubt. I hated working as a waitress, and being hung over. In the small cafe I work at the same people saw me every day. So when I tied one the night before they would know. I would actually lie, and go home early just so I could go lay down, and sleep it off.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I fortunately don't get sick very often, but I have gone to work sick because I had no sick leave and thus would have not been paid had i not. I don't think it is a good practice in general because not only do you feel lousy and unproductive you could also be making others sick.
  20. juno

juno Community Champion

I have never done that, but I think if you go to work drunk or high and are trying to work it off it becomes obvious to others because you smell of it and look different. So, even if you say it is food poisoning it is sadly embarrassing and it means that it is time to get help.

However, I did go to work with an actual flu once and it was awful, so I can imagine what it feels like to have to work when you are not feeling well.