An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ever went to work 'sick as a dog'?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by nm1180, Apr 8, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Yes, I have. I try not to miss work. No matter what I am going through. Its very important to me. I would prefer people not to use drugs at all. But if they are I'd suggest they live life as normally as possible. This includes going to work even when going through withdrawal sickness.
  2. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I haven't, but when I was in college one of my closer friends was trying to kick a nasty habit, and she came to school several weeks in a row looking like that. She was moody and grumpy and sickly and just generally not in a good way. Bad thing, too, 'cause we needed to interview people, and her mood and disposition were not conducive to, y'know, talking. Or writing. Or functioning properly in general.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, but I went to school this day. During high school years I was a heavy drinker and I would often go drunk or hungover at school. I used to sleep with my head on my desk, and nobody really cared about it, as I was more of a background character because I didn't really talk.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yes, and let me tell you it was awful. It was after my first attempt, before my life went down the toilet, so, yes, I no longer work in that place :p I think everyone knew what was going on, but I really did't care so much at that time. I was feeling so out of this world, I thought I was doing the right thing by showing up to work and that no one would noticed. I was so wrong, everyone noticed and ended up getting fired, and that is how my life started spiraling down. Bad memories indeed.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It depends upon what it is that is wrong. Many times I have worked when I am not feeling well. You do what you need to do. I think as long as something is not contagious and you can. This can be a problem though when you need the money sometimes you can't afford not to work.
  6. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Yes I have gone to work very sick from the abuse I put my body through and no I don't recommend it. Depending on how sick you are and what kind of work it is, sometimes you are better off just not going in. There have been a few times when my condition has been really bad and I've gone in, it wasn't good. I was sweating so badly that I was literally sweating in the sandwiches I was making. I told everyone at work I had the flu and you'd think that would have got me permission to go home, but no. I was working with some pretty young staff. Maybe they didn't realize just how important it was that customers not see me in my condition because it would alarm them. I had three different customers refuse their sandwich because of the shape I was in and I don't blame them. After the third person I just said, that's it, and I told the supervisor I was going home. Even if my co-workers didn't have the good sense to see I would only hurt business if I were to stay on like that, I did. In the end it cost me my job even though they said they were supportive of my getting help. If I had just called in sick, I would probably have still lost my job, but I wouldn't have had the scorn of my co-workers to deal with because they saw me in that condition.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have, but it didn't have anything to do with withdrawal. I have gone to work when I was sick because I was in a job with no leave and wouldn]t have been paid if I didn't go. It would be horrible to go to work if you were going through withdrawal, but people have to go to work with morning sickness..so I guess it might be similar. It is one of the things that people have been doing for years. Going to work when in withdrawal, I imagine many people have done too.
  8. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Heck, I've suffered at work just from caffeine withdrawal. Lethargic, unimaginative, blurry-minded. I was a teacher so I kept coming in, but I lost whole weeks in which I just kind of taught out of the book and had to exert myself not to get crabby with students. I can only imagine what it's like for harder detoxes.
  9. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

I had to several times, usually with an ailment such as the flu. Ugh, it was painful with those headaches and runny nostrils. Really made my experience and work effectiveness drop like a rock.
  10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Yeah I had went to my former job sick since I had a sore throat and the flu. It bit but the good part was that it was only for 4 hours so I did not have to stay long. It is a nightmare when you have a job that you hate and have to work there while you are ill.
  11. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I have never gone to work under the influence of a drug or been to work with let alone been in a position to even experience withdrawal symptoms. I have however been in a position in which I was actually ill because I had caught something and been accused of being hungover. it was very frustrating to say the least.
  12. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

It's the worst feeling ever. Watching everyone go about their day all gay and happy, while you just wonder if you will make it through the day. You just want to curl up in a ball and never wake up again. I've been through it a couple of times.
  13. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Yes, unfortunately I have. That was when I was younger though. Nowadays, if I feel sick, I don’t go to work. I’d rather rest and not abuse my body. I am not as strong as I used to be. I remember back in the day I can come to the office with a very high fever, or without sleep, but still can function properly.
  14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

One thing I would to to try and hide it would make sure I was always clean shaven, with freshly cleaned clothing, just showered, and such, before stepping foot into work. One of the telltale signs of an addict is they start to let their personal hygiene go, stop doing household stuff such as laundry and ironing, etc... I could at least play off bloodshot eyes as an allergic reaction (especially during ragweed season, which I am very allergic too). Another common alibi of mine when I was in my 20's and still in school was that I was up late all night doing homework (which I never was, I winged it through college).

In my 30's I would just make it a point to lay low at my cubicle, with some coffee on hand, and my headphones on, and bury myself in some busy work. That way I could avoid conversations with any coworkers and giving them any inclination that I'm hungover or strung out. If they would be passing by my desk, and saw I had headphones on, they would be less inclined to try and fire up a conversation with me.
  15. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

Absolutely. This is when I knew I really had a problem. Many of my relationships had already been negatively affected, and now my job was at stake. I was fortunate to be able to duck into conference rooms alone as needed, but over time my boss wasn't cool with me being off the floor, and it caught up to me. Anyone in this situation needs to take serious steps to quit, as he or she is in danger of losing everything.
  16. Lola2485

Lola2485 Member

I work as a server and the 'sick as a dog' goes very much noticed.
    Shaking at the terminal while putting orders in, sweating profusely, and saying mildly incoherent things (that always become entertainment to guests but creep out your coworkers).
    Most are hung over every day; it's the other things that make you stick out.
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Just thinking about it now makes me want to take a nap.
    They make us go to work when we're really sick. I managed to squeeze out of it for this season's flu. The reason I got it in the first place is because a coworker came to work three days in a row suffering from the flu.
    It's typical in the restaurant business for workers to show up sick. The scary part is the youngest and the oldest of customers that will undoubtedly get the worst of an issue like that.
  17. zuulspaceman

zuulspaceman Member

Yeah and I couldn't do it so I just said I was sick and went home. Working and juggling an addiction can start to become impossible. Eventually you're going to be found out, and it's going to make you look extra bad when you try to apply to other places and use that as a reference. You really won't be able to if they find out you were on drugs, unless they're cool and try to get you help.