An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Everything is temporary

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Mackmax, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

I just wanted to remind you all that the pain you may be suffering is very much temporary. I've had days where I felt like my whole world was crashing down, yet a year later, everything turned out to be just fine. I even laugh at the things that used to stress me out so much, since they seem so minuscule now.
    Everything is temporary, and things often look worse before they begin to look better. A flower can't bloom without receiving rain. ;)
    JonMark likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Thank you for the reminder Mackmax. When we feel bad it is hard to look beyond our current problems and into the future. Things always change though and if you are currently at rock bottom, you can only move upwards.
  3. 003

003 Community Champion

Everything is temporary, but I think it's not really helpful to just rely on taht being temporary. I mean, would you just stay where you are, do nothing other than to wait and to just let it past? I don't think that it would be really effective. You have to work it out and face the challenge. It's hard, but it's really sure that it's going to be really worthy. Don't think of its non-permanence. It wouldn't take you that far, but what will is hard work, that is to face the challenge with all you best, be it getting out of addiction, or be it a broken heart.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I agree. Just knowing that everything will pass itself won't make whatever it is you are facing "pass." It won't. Action is what must be taken. It's this action you take that will get you "past" some relationship problem, financial difficulty etc. Doing nothing [and hoping for better days] will only see you [remain] stuck in that rut for a really long time.
  5. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

For myself, the phrase "everything is temporary" refers to the high and low emotions that I come across as a result of my anxiety/depression disorder or an emotion that I must learn to face that, in the past, I relied upon alcohol to numb down. I don't think that calling something "temporary" has to mean passivity.
  6. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

This is the best advice I have come across today. Everything is indeed temporary. There is no need to use drugs or alcohol if you feel at peace.
    RoseK likes this.
  7. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

For all things there is a season. So there will a time for pain and sadness. There will also be a time for joy and celebration. As much as the celebrations in life seem short we must focus on them and enjoy them for as long as we can. It feels as if there is no balance and sadness and pain outweighs joy. I think if we can find a little happiness in the smallest things it helps the pain ease faster. For me I like to bake so sometimes I will call my sisters and say I tried this recipe today and it turned out great. To them I'm making a big deal by spreading the word over a new cookie recipe. To me I wanted to feel happy about setting my mind on doing something and accomplishing the goal.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Yes, everything is temporary, because thing is think and temp is time, which both are not always in par with one another. Our thinking can be up in the wishful clouds while the time we have to exist will pass away. However, when our thinking is focused with time and one acts upon it, change is the only outcome that shall happen. More over, inaction too, does help to change things because if one does not act to acquire drugs, then that will keep one sober.
  9. keeshamarie

keeshamarie Member

Best thing I heard all day! So true nothing last forever, the pain is what makes us stronger. Of course going through the storm is the hard part, sometimes it seems like its never going to let up but that's not true. I try to stay focused on the fact that my life can change in one day for the better and staying optimistic that, that day will be here more sooner than later really gives me the push I need.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Whenever I get anxious for one reason or another, often about the future, I just remind myself to breathe and I try to remember that nothing has changed except that my mind is going to places where it shouldn't be again, since worrying about the future is unnecessary and unproductive anyway.
    Mackmax likes this.
  11. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

A very good quote for all those that want to remember this.
    ~This Too Shall Pass~
    So stop worrying and enjoy the little gift called life!
    juliaintheclouds and Mackmax like this.
  12. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

"A flower can't bloom without receiving rain. ;)"

I love this quote @Mackmax. Another one like it is "Every glowstick has to break before it shines."

Suffering in the world is very temporary. Everything in life is temporary. It's just up to you to determine your result and future. Keep the faith and always have a friend to talk to when you're in need. You can't survive alone. You need love and support by the people closest to you.
  13. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Indeed, that's why we must make most of everything we have. We must accept the fact that none of our possessions are indeed worth attaching to because they are all temporary. I think you get much more happy after you start investing in yourself and not into your possessions.
  14. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I figure...what choice do I have really? I can continue to immerse myself in all that poison or I can make steps to reclaim MY life. It's taken me a long time to figure out that I am living my life, no one else's. That realization has opened up so many beautiful ways to look at what I have in front of me.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a nice remember cause it could make us think that tomorrow might be better than today.
    Right too that better to also do ways on how to make oneself feel and be better and not just rely on thinking that it is just temporary.
  16. Mackmax

I can see how you would get this message, but this is not at all what I meant. I didn't mean it as in "Everything is temporary, so why bother." Oh god, I would never give that as advice. :confused:
    I meant it as in "Everything is temporary, so you can and will get through this eventually, just as how you've beaten other struggles."
    Like @calicer1996 said, This too shall pass.
  17. Mackmax

I'm the same way. I'm not even 21 yet I still freak out and worry that I'll ever get married and that I'll be a strange cat lady for the rest of my life, lol. Then I bring myself back to earth and everything is fine again. None of us know what the future holds, we've just got to live our lives day by day. The best thing about our future is that it is completely up to us, so if we take care of ourselves now, we're in for a great future. :)
    Exactly! I love your quote too, it is very cute and makes me smile. ;)
    RoseK likes this.
  18. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

The uncertainty of the future is what scares most of us. But no worry, everyone has rough patches and sometimes you just need a new perspective.
    RoseK likes this.
  19. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

This is very good advice, sometimes it's hard to really wrap your head around the idea that things could get better or that you'll look back on your hard times from a different perspective. Sometimes I think I should tattoo this advice on my arm, as some one mentioned above *THIS TOO SHALL PASS* so I can see it every day. It's very easy to remember this when you are in a good place, but unfortunately harder when your in a bad place.
  20. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I believe in this. I think lots of people get depressed thinking their problems just ended their lives but the truth is even troubles are temporary and it will also pass. This is a good reminder for everyone.