An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ex Addict/Alcoholic - IOP Counselor

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by BeeKeeper, May 2, 2018.

1. BeeKeeper

BeeKeeper Member

I started an IOP program 3 weeks ago. My group counselor is an ex-drug addict and alcoholic. Last Saturday, I saw him walking out of a liquor store with a large bag. He did not see me. I do not judge him at all. On the contrary, I feel for him. My usual counselor told me today that I should tell him that I saw him. Which I did. I told him the conversation would go no further and when I told him, he told me he was getting it for his roommate. I can't say it's true or not, but he definitely preached not to put yourself in that situation. It was awful talking to him because he was stuttering and I could tell he was freaking out. Now I am questioning myself as to whether or not I should have told him. My thought process was I could have been his boss or any other person that literally could ruin his life. Thoughts?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@BeeKeeper hello! thanks for reaching out. it's fine that you spoke with him about it. nothing wrong with honest and open conversation without judgment. maybe it was for his roommate or maybe not. you did what you felt was necessary for you, and now you can let it go. :)
  3. BeeKeeper

BeeKeeper Member

Thank you!!!
    Dominica likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@BeeKeeper... I agree with @Dominica. Let it go. Also, since you don't know otherwise, maybe give him the benefit of the doubt? Innocent until proven guilty, right?
    True concern likes this.
  5. BeeKeeper

BeeKeeper Member

Thanks for the feedback.
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@BeeKeeper i agree with both @Dominica and @deanokat and i understand letting it go is the correct thing to do and im going to paint a possible scenario just in case you still have doubts,im a recovering addict of over 20 year's and i have a dear friend i use to drink with and as I've stated I'm sober and no longer drink or do drug's however my friend is an alcoholic on a level that exceeds anything i have ever seen.At time's he calls me to pick him up at all hours of the night and day,he gets so drunk he sometimes wonders off 2-3 a.m. and gets lost and has no idea where he is or how he got there,it is so bad i have to track him down at times using a g.p.s.app linked from my device to his and many times this is how i find him.He drinks 4-5 day's straight no sleep or food just alcohol.He doesn't contact me until his body starts to swell up and his skin tone turns a yellowish color (liver failure) i bring him back and nurse him down slowly as the detox has almost killed him a few time's.I fell guilt in a way but the only way to do it safely is to go buy a gallon of vodka i pick it up and distribute it to him over a 3 day span and i hold onto the bottle.I feed him I've had to bath him and it crushes me every time but over that 3 day slow alcohol level drop the color comes back and the swelling goes away.After day 3 he eats and sleeps for another 2 day's and off he goes and i dont hear back from him until the next time.It's something that hurts me deeply as i feel like an enabler but i stomach that guilt as i know he would absolutely die if i didn't do the thing's i do to help,literally everyone else has given up on him and i just don't have the heart to do that.So what im getting at is who knows your counselor may have a friend he is desperately trying to reach and may be stuck between a rock and a hard place.I obviously don't know that answer but dont look at him any different until he gives you an absolute reason to.Stay Strong and God Bless you
  7. BeeKeeper

BeeKeeper Member

I wish you and your friend the best.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. True concern

I thank you and definitely wish for you the same.Stay Strong
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Hello there,
    Wow! I just wanted to thank you for sharing that post. That’s heart breaking but something I needed to hear. You know how sometimes I’m a meeting or whatever you hear exactly what you need to hear exactly when you need to hear it. I empathize with you. And pray for your friend.
    True concern likes this.
  10. True concern

I thank you so much for your response and your prayers.Both have me in tears because I worry for him so much and just hearing that i reached someone through my post means more to me than i can describe as i myself have been through hell with addiction i posted here on this site of my own fight with addiction with the goal of if nothing else showing how bad thing's can get and how truly fast you may be looking a loved one in the face telling them you just found out that you had at best a month to live,and indeed i was in that exact situation and by the grace of God i am still alive going on 5 year's since i had to say that.Im glad this helped you and with that knowledge i encourage you to read my personal story as it to may shed some further light to help you on your journey and since you are currently receptive and it is something you needed to hear i pray my other post supply further strength as it would mean the world to me to know if only one person made a change and beat their addiction i have done something good for not just the person themselves but for everyone in their life that longs to have you back.Stay Strong and God Bless you.If you ever need anything to vent,complain,cry,inspiration,advice,encouragement it would indeed be my honor to be there for you in anyway i can.Thanks again and im so happy this unfortunate situation made some difference