An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ex boyfriend addicted to Oxy

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Concerned girlfriend, Sep 13, 2016.

1. I recently broke up...again with my exboyfriend....he's retired, with several joint replacements. He lives life in constant pain. I've told him in the past that his use of his pain killer causes horrible mood swings. Sometimes he can be very mean and snappy. This causes me to have outburst...and the breakup begins. I have no desire to get back together with him...but I feel guilty that Ive turned my back on a friend. He has alienated himself from his family. His only friends are also using...you guessed it..Oxy or other pain pills. I'm not sure but I think they trade them off to one another. He is almost 60 and I am very worried about his health.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Concerned girlfriend... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. I'm so sorry that you're going through this with your boyfriend. Addiction is a family disease and it definitely impacts everyone who loves and cares about the person who is struggling.

I'm wondering if your boyfriend has ever sought out any alternative treatments for pain. If he hasn't, maybe that's something he could consider. I know several people who have had a lot of success with acupuncture and shiatsu. Also, does he have a pain management doctor? They might be able to address his dependence on Oxy and help him work to decrease it.

One thing you need to realize is this: You are not at all responsible for your boyfriend's situation. If he chooses to abuse Oxy, that's his choice. And if his choices make the relationship unbearable for you, you should not feel guilty. You have to remember that YOU are the most important person in your life, and you deserve to live a happy, healthy life. If your boyfriend's addiction is preventing you from doing that, you have every right to do what's necessary to make you feel better.

If he's also alienated his family, that's a sure sign that the problem is with him, not you. I know it can be hard to walk away from someone who is struggling, but sometimes we have to do it in order to save ourselves.

I hope you are able to make the decision that is best for YOU. Please know that we are here to help and support you however we can, so don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need to. That's why we're here.

Sending you lots of positive energy and hugs full of hope and happiness.