An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Exercise

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Auril, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

Exercise can be a key component in your recovery plan. Not only is it a great way to take care of your body, but it also causes your brain to release chemicals which will decrease anxiety and improve your mood. If you aren't sure how to get started - a few sessions with a personal trainer can be well worth the money. You also don't have to commit to a gym contract either. Most community recreation centers have low priced rates for those that live in the community. This will give you access to cardio equipment and weights, without having to go to a crowded gym or pay for expensive home equipment. Exercise is a great way to invest in your body on your recovery journey.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Exercising was a huge part of my recovery journey. It also kept me occupied - which was a big thing in terms of initially overcoming the urge to drink (if I was alone or bored they were trigger times for me).

Also, like you said the mood-improvements from exercise are huge. I always, always felt like I was on a natural high after working out, but this way I was actually looking after my body instead of harming it.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Exercise is vital for me, even after 2 years of being completely sober. Going out to the gym for about an hour daily releases a lot of stress and also makes my brain think better in difficult circumstances.
    It also improves my mood a lot. Whenever I exercise I forget about all the problems I have and just focus on training.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree. Actually, you don't even have to go to the gym to be able to get some exercise, you can simply just run and jog anywhere to lift your mood and improve your health.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Absolutely true. Exercising could be one of the effective ways to recovery. It just doesn't keep you busy, but it also makes you healthy and fit, thus, helping you build your own confidence.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do believe in that. :)
    Proper or right exercises could help us feel better and healthier especially if done in a regular basis. It could be a good habit and/or useful thing to do during free time.
  7. Issac Asimov

Issac Asimov Member

I think also, with the additional dopamine firing away during strenuous exercise, you're more likely to not trigger a relapse as the brain still feels like it did when you were getting high. A runner's high is much better than an unnatural high, and you'll feel it if you exercise during recovery.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

You can join friends if you can not manage to go for exercise alone. Exercise improves your blood circulation besides improving your muscle strength. You can also control your weight through exercise.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

This is very true! Exercise does not only promote physical health but psychological and emotional well-being as well. It can be a great way to detoxify yourself of all the chemicals and toxins that you have taken into your body. It's also a good way of keeping yourself busy when you have nothing much to do. This helps you get your mind off from craving drugs or substances especially if you are still in the recovery period.
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I enjoy walking with my little dog in the evening hours. It's so nice and peaceful just to get out of the house, and into nature. I live in the country on a dirt road. I have two deer that come in my yard, and I love to see their hoof tracks. It's good for the body, and mind no doubt.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Right on brother.
    You gotta get moving to stay clean.
    I always tell people to find what is fun for YOU.
    If you hate running, don't run! If you hate lifting weights then don't do that.
    If you like to walk, or play volleyball or ride a bike then do those!
    Don't let anyone tell you one form of exercise is "better" then another, if you enjoy it you will stick with it.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Yes exercise does keep you in shape, gets the toxins out of your body, and keeps your mind sharp. Of course they are going to be a valued activity in sobriety. I also like the fact that it keeps you busy and keeps your mind off of drugs and alcohol.
  13. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Exercising is of course a great way to cope with stress, you can do it at home after reading a few guides on the Internet due to exercises, you can also run and jog, you won't pay anything for that, but your body will pay you out in good health and you will have a better mood.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. I think if more parents would encourage their teens and kids to exercise. There wouldn't be problems with drugs and youth. It does't go together. You can't perform athletically the same if you have drugs in your body. Forget it if you're hung over.
  15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

One more thing about exercising; it does not only contribute with the release of chemicals at a brain level, but improves your pulmonary system, restoring your breathing process.

Breathing correctly is fundamental for a healthy living, and it's not mandatory to be a smoker to have the pulmonary system debilitated while being addicted to any substance including alcohol.

There are techniques that improve lung capacity, good for anyone, not just people suffering from a pulmonary-related condition, or having their breathing capacity diminished after addictions.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Exercise can be crucial to people who are recovering from an addiction because not only does it keep your body healthy, it also helps to keep your mind active and healthy aswell.

Boredom seems to be one of the common causes for people to relapse, so obviously having exercise will also combat that aswell.