An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Exercises that make you feel better?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 11, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I am not a big exercise person. I would rather sit in front of my tv or computer screen or even a book. But I have to admit after I finish a yoga routine, I feel so much better and relaxed. There's something about muscle stretches mixed with the music that lifts my mood up.

What about you?
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I also feel better when I do a yoga routine. I have been using the same video for a few months, but it is the one that I think fits me the best. Also, using my exercise bike makes me feel better. Gardening is a great exercise for me as well. Two means are being met with this; exercise and sustenance. I also feel a lot better after doing the Leslie Sansone 3 mile walk.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

A good bicycle ride is one of the activities that makes me feel better. Walking around in outdoors nature is another thing I like to do to life my spirit and energy up. Also, practicing my sword skills with a wooden Boken, gets my heart pumping and helps to strengthen my arms and loosens my shoulders.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I like swimming as an exercise the most. Not only does it exercise a lot more of your body for the same amount of time it would take for you to work on just a few specific ones in other exercises but also being in the water is refreshing in a way that not many other exercises can provide.
  5. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I haven't ridden a bicycle since I was a kid. The last bike I had, my brother popped the tire. And that was it. Hmmh... I'm thinking a ride in the park would be very uplifting. Thanks for the reminder.
  6. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I think walking is one of the best exercise. Our bodies were made to move. I good walk will let you distress, meditate and enjoy the scenery. I have found walking to be very beneficial for many ailments, addictions or problems.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Whenever I feel stressed, I go out and walk. :)
    I feel better when walking outside whether it was in a park or just in a street. I also enjoy biking especially near a lake in here cause I can enjoy the scenery and the weather.
  8. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

I regularly exercise and I have found that there's no better exercise than jogging that helps clear my mind and make me feel better overall. I actually used to hate cardio. I still don't like it, to be honest, but I will myself to do it especially when so many things disturb my mind.
  9. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

For me I would have to say dancing always makes me feel better. Whenever I am feeling down or stressed or experiencing any kind of negative emotions dancing always helps me out a great deal. For me it doesn't even feel like working out.
  10. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Ballet always puts me in a good mood. I think it's important to find an exercise activity that you like. I tried running for a while, and yes, endorphins kick in, but I still hated running and ultimately gave it up because it wasn't worth it. If you enjoy the activity, you will feel much much better and be more likely to stick to it and enjoy the benefits.
  11. Acube

Acube Member

Exercise can be very fun if you do it with others . Especially if you find an outdoor activity or sport that more than one person can get involved in can be really good. You get interaction with others and it is easier for it to become a routine when others are involved. For me playing football on the weekends is my exercise 1 hour or 2 hours with the boys is fun.
  12. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I love yoga! It helps relax me so much! Every time I am stressed out I call up my bestie and we head out together. It is great relaxation time for me and bonding time for our friendship as we both love it! Another thing that we have both tried together and would love to try again is hot yoga! I definitely recommend it! You come out of there feeling like a while new person.
  13. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Mine is going out for a walk. It doesn't even have to be a jog or a brisk walk. Even just a slow walk and enjoying the silence and keeping my feet moving relaxes me. I have to make sure I do it very early though. It's the best time for me.
  14. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

Swimming helps me release any pent up emotion and energy I have at the end of long days. I have been swimming since I was little and I hope to continue until I am old.
  15. shandrum

shandrum Member

I do exercise and I strongly recommend it to everyone. First, exercise is a good way to boost how you feel and it can actually release those "feel good hormones", which actually help regulate your mood. My favorite exercise is running. I like the fact that you can just go when you run and your problems just seem to fade. So, if you are looking to possibly take up exercising, I would say that would be a very positive and effective thing to do in your life.
  16. Mallard

Mallard Member

I love to go out with my 2 dogs and play in the yard for hours! They get exercise, I get exercise, and watching their happy faces will always uplift me!
  17. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

Swimming in soothing bodies of water, taking walks to clear your mind, doing cardiovascular exercises followed by yoga, and dancing!
  18. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I think any type of exercise is helpful. For one, it's exercise... so that's good. But a good walk, run, workout, etc can do amazing things for mental health in my opinion. I've heard that exercise also releases certain chemicals in the brain that makes you feel good. I'm not saying start power lifting right off but a small exercise program is good for everybody.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Probably some walking and running to get the blood flowing does help. A good sweat is always good for your overall health. Keeps you busy and occupied.
  20. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Yoga also makes me feel better. It helps to calm me and put me in a good place. Bike riding also makes me feel better as well as nature walks. I really like nature walks because they don't feel like exercise. They feel more like exploration. I get to see nature in all its beauty and it helps bring me into a new perspective, as well as clear my mind.