An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Exercises that make you feel better?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 11, 2014.

1. proldani

proldani Member

The mere act of walking down the street seems to have a calming effect on me, as it helps erase stress and allows my mind to get away from my daily routine, which can be really exausting. No matter how you exercise, if you do it constantly you should feel the many positive effects it has on your body, as described here:

www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I have to agree. Yoga is the exercise that makes me feel the most relaxed, it makes me really focus on my breathing. At the end of a session I feel so rested and ready for anything!
  3. mark973

mark973 Member

I actually love to swim to relax. It's so calming and a great exercise for your whole body.
  4. mark973

mark973 Member

I like to do stretches and sometimes even go to swim. Usually, however, I like to jog around my neighborhood. It can really help you get some extra energy you didn't even know you had.
  5. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Walking the pups seems to be my exercise of choice when I need to clear my head or think. But as I mentioned somewhere in this thread before I think any type of exercise is a good choice. Just getting moving seems to help in some way. It has to be better than sitting and being bummed out all day. At least that's my opinion.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Exercise really helps with anything. Boosts your self-esteem and confidence. Lifting weights or whatever you can come up with. Stretching is good before exercise. Yoga and stretching before you go to sleep. If you can't sleep stretching will make you sleepy believe it or not.
  7. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

Any exercise is exercise that makes you feel good! Exercise releases endorphins which are the feel-good hormones that you want!
  8. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

This is a great thread even though it has not gotten too many replies, less than 30 so far. The reason I say so is that the response has been positive. With the new year coming more and more people will be starting to exercise so I hope all of those efforts go well for everyone. A nice walk is a great way to clear your mind and burn a few calories.
  9. Nichole W.

Nichole W. Member

I prefer hiking or yoga, something quite that takes me away from the hustle and bustle of the world for a little bit. I think it centers me and gives me a chance to reflect.
  10. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

I like to go hiking too, but in the city I would say my cross trainer. I don't get on it as much as I should, but that along with motion gaming on the PS3 can offer a great workout
  11. weepforsweep

weepforsweep Member

I feel better after doing jumping jacks for an hour. If your just starting to get into jumping jacks, don't do more than 200 or your legs will be sore for a week.
  12. kita

kita Member

I am not big on exercise, but when I do lift myself off the couch I find that gardening and cleaning brings me peace and helps me to relax. A bit boring I know. I use to gym and they offered free yoga classes, man is that hard! Really want to get back into yoga and maybe some jogging. I miss the good-feeling you feel after exercise.
  13. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I can't walk very far on land anymore but I love walking in the water and find it very helpful. My physical therapist has this current pool that you can walk (or swim if swimming is part of your therapy; for me, walking is hard enough) against the current. I also take a deep water aerobics class for seniors, the kind that uses flotation belts. I'm not a senior but medically, I'm more in line with them than someone my own age so that's the class i took. Very gentle but still effective at giving me those exercise endorphins. A natural high is wonderful.

Before I got quite this bad, I used to do other things for the endorphin rush when I was feeling bad physically. Piercings, tattoos, bungee jumping, rock climbing. Anything I was scared of or that hurt in a good way could do the job.
  14. globulon

globulon Member

Yoga is incredibly therapeutic. It's a great way to become more mindful and relaxed, as well as cultivating a positive mental attitude. To my surprise many yoga exercises can be quite strenuous, providing a great physical workout!
  15. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I feel better after doing more strenuous stuff. I have never done yoga though and may opt to try it one of these days, but right now I go on my elliptical when my mind and body feels the need to. I must say that I need to develop this feeling on a more regular basis though.
  16. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I totally have to agree with you. There is something so special with yoga that makes me so happy. Over the years, I have tried a bunch of different yoga styles, curerntly my favorite is bikram yoga. At first, I didn't think I would like it as much as I do now but it really changed my life. I always thought its repetition would drive me crazy and now the repetition is a comfort for me because I can remember where my body was at last everyday. I would recommend this to everyone.
  17. GG88

GG88 Member

I'm not very good at getting myself out of the house. I can happily stay at home and read a book, or get stuck into a new project. However, I do push myself to take a walk every day. I go first thing every morning, so I'm not thinking about having to do it later. There is something so exhilarating and uplifting about a good brisk walk; it rarely fails to make me feel better. Some days nothing can shift me, but I'm getting better at motivating myself.

"Walking is man's best medicine" - I believe this is a quote by Hippocrates.
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I like a good long walk, plugged into the iPod. I feel it blows the "cobwebs" away and invigorates me. I actually start to feel bad if I go more than two days without a decent walk. I will often choose to walk somewhere rather than drive.
  19. Nichole W.

Nichole W. Member

Walking is great! I work in a location with a lot of hills, it's quite a workout even if you just go for short periods of time. I've just found the app Librovox, where I can stream public domain audio books. I love it! I can walk forever listening to the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
  20. JennyHeart

JennyHeart Member

I feel any form of exercise may be beneficial to people with an addiction problem. They will be doing something active for that period of time while exercising. Constantly moving in any which way is good for the heart and soul. I discovered during my own times of stress when I exercised my stress was more cope- able.