An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Exercises that make you feel better?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 11, 2014.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

Running really makes me feel good, and not only good but also elated. Another exercise that makes me feel good is swimming and some resistance training. No matter how tired I feel in a day or no matter how bad my day turned out to be, I still make it a point to do exercise which I never regret.
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I also feel better after doing some yoga, especially if I've spent a long time on my computer -- I don't have the most ergonomic posture and stretching out is a delightful pain.

I used to not like sports but at my lowest, when I go jogging, it helps getting rid of my bad energies and the pain in my legs is a nice buzz after.
  3. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I usually do some sit ups and push-ups in the morning to warm my body up. After that, I might meditate for a half-hour or so. This really helps invigorate my body and mind. I always feel great after.
  4. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I love to walk on open grounds; I work from home. I am seated most of the day in front of my computer. In the evenings I take long walks to enjoy the fresh air. When I come home I feel so energized that I can work some more if I choose to. I have a special pair of walking shoes. If I skip having a walk, I feel more tired at the end of the day.
  5. emily0531

emily0531 Member

I also enjoy being outdoors walking my dogs. We do not have a yard, so I am forced to get out and get some exercise each day. They are excited for each walk, as if they had never been outside before. Walking with them always raises my spirits.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I completely agree. Dancing is very therapeutic and even cathartic at some points. I myself like to dance as well no matter where I am and it just brightens up my day especially when I can make someone laugh because of my silliness.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am right there with you Sadimarie. I like to dance away the pain. When I was not getting out to play my padde/beach tennis I decided to find something that involved dancing on YouTube and came upon Zumba for Dummies. I got hooked for a while before I lost my "rhythm".

Right now I am trying to pull myself back up and get "busy" again. I need the exercise. Walking my dogs is a good way to get started back on the right track .
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yoga yeah that is kinda for people who aren't into exercise. I have used yoga to fall asleep. It works well for that. Stretching is relaxing and it calms the mind. Swimming is also another one that helps you sleep. Walking is great it hits all areas of the body. The fresh air will help with sleep too. The scenery helps the mind to be in a better state.
    Dogs are great too to exercise with. They are like therapy.
  9. Lizzy19ph

Lizzy19ph Member

Meditations such yoga or tai-chi are kinds of mind and body exercises which can help someone feel relaxed and de-stress. Even simple walking is good since we all know it's the best form of exercise- take a 15-minute walk to the nearest park alone or with a companion, even with a pet dog. There is also what we call "eco-therapy" which is a form of psychotherapy which does not only help one physically but as well as mentally and psychologically.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I do basic exercises such as walking, jogging, and running once in a while. Sometimes, I do sit-ups as well. But my most favorite kind of exercise is probably dancing. I am not really a good dancer, but I love moving around and shaking my body when there's music on. Really motivating. :)
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it's yoga and also any sort of outdoorsy exercise activities. I find hiking one of the best to make me feel better - just being out among nature is a huge help for me. It re-energizes me and just puts things into perspective. Plus, nothing beats fresh air and lovely scenery! I also love swimming and cycling too.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

A long, long walk is the only type of exercise that makes me feel better. I am not exactly the healthy type so I can't expend so much physical energy. Walking is simple,, helps you sweat moderately and takes your mind off things. If not, you can ponder about anything under the sun while walking. It's a stress-relieving endeavor.
  13. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

True, I loved to take walks with my camera and take pictures of interesting things around. Always brought a notebook too; the mix of moving and of changing scenery always brought my creativity forth and I always came home happier, more rested. I really should get back to that!
  14. goldenmonkey

goldenmonkey Member

Yoga is a great exercise for calming and improving mood. I like to listen to ambient music or rain sounds while I'm doing it. I always feel much better in terms of mood after going to the gym, but I have to get there first, and easier said than done. My usual form of exercise is biking everywhere, but obviously that's not an option for everyone.
  15. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Really, any form of exercise takes me out of my own head for a while. But I find the most effective ones are those that make me work up a good sweat and really connect with my body. So jogging, dancing, Zumba, those sorts of things. I might feel gross afterward, but it’s a good, happy gross.