An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Experience With SMART Recovery?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Joseph, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

2. sarahm

sarahm Member

I am a big fan of SMART Recovery. I appreciate the self-improvement aspect and the focus on making behavioral changes rather than taking an approach of powerlessness. SMART helped me in my recovery by giving me place to recognize I was not alone, but also gave me some practical tools for making better decisions in my life. SMART Recovery gets my vote.
    Katethenurse likes this.
  3. LaLaLaLaLola

LaLaLaLaLola Member

So it doesn't have the steps?
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

LaLaLaLaLola likes this.
  5. LaLaLaLaLola

LaLaLaLaLola Member

Thanks Jen. I like how this program "Evolves as scientific knowledge of addiction recovery evolves." I'm going to check it out!
    sarahm likes this.
  6. SurfLifeinFla

SurfLifeinFla Member

Bill W. and friends program is not for everyone. It is more like a church activity in many locations which does not suit everyone. An atheist addict will be very put off by and not encouraged to follow a group that says the Lord's prayers at every meeting and it is good to know there are other options.
  7. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

I'd never heard of SMART Recovery, but when I clicked the link you posted, it sounded good. Unfortunately there aren't any meetings near us. Other than 12-Step and SMART Recovery, what else is available?
  8. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Never heard of SMART before, just looked into it and it looks really interesting. There are a lot of different therapies out there and I think different therapies suit different people.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

I believe SMART Revcovery has online support groups, so you can still go through the program even if there is not a physical one in your area. This link has all the online meeting schedules: http://www.smartrecovery.org/community/calendar.php#.VUrVK-lFBO8

They also have some options to start a program in your area if there isn't one already.
    Katethenurse likes this.
  10. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I love SMART. One of the main reasons why I just didn't click with The 12-steppers was because I don't believe that I am powerless and unmanageable. Another thing, at the meetings at NA/AA, everyone goes around and says "Danielle, I'm an addict". With SMART, they don't like labeling each other and ourselves as addicts because telling yourself over and over again that your just an addict makes us feel even more hopeless and we start to believe that we are JUST an addict, or I'm JUST a junkie.
    Katethenurse likes this.
  11. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It seems like it might be a good program that want to prevent addiction issues from ever occurring as well. There seem to be a lot of meetings in my state. I am truly surprised that I had not heard of this before now. I wonder what kind of success rate they have as opposed to 12 step programs.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have never attended one of their meetings, but I am quite familiar with the way they work and I think they are a great options for those people who don't like the 12 steps approach. Actually if I was an atheist I'd prefer then over any other group, specially over 12- step based groups :)
    sarahm and deanokat like this.
  13. Katethenurse

Katethenurse Member

I really like Smart recovery because of the practical approach the program takes to helping anyone with an addiction change their behavior and learn a new way to live. I am at Smart recovery facilitator – a decision I made after attending Smart recovery for a while. For me that helps keep me grounded in my own recovery. Smart recovery is a non-12 step mutual aid peer support group with a big online presence as well. If 12 step groups don't seem to be for you or you are looking for a science-based approach to changing your addictive behavior then Smart recovery may be a place you feel at home The main website for Smart recovery is www.smartrecovery.org. That site will tell you much more about the program than I ever could and has lots of helpful information for recovering addicts or those considering stopping an addictive behavior
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

SMART Recovery also has a great program for Friends & Family, too. That's such a great thing. :)
    Katethenurse likes this.
  15. Katethenurse

Katethenurse Member

You are so right friends and family group is something that Smart recovery offers to loved ones and family members of someone who is trying to recover from an addiction and I forgot to mention that so I really appreciate that you did
  16. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I like what I've read in your post here,i do not want to constantly say "I'm an addict" i get it i already know that also i don't think i am "powerless"either but is this strictly for atheist?i ask because i am not one however I still don't believe i am powerless as im not a puppet on string's.I think you get what im saying.If you could please respond i would greatly appreciate it,Thank you and have a beautiful day
  17. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern I believe they allow any faith or atheist to attend.... but not sure. i just don't think they "promote" concept of higher power... when i find out , i will let you know!
    True concern likes this.
  18. True concern

Thank you,if im one thing that will never change it is faithful.I don't need help believeing in a high power or god that is something I truly accept and will never deviate from,i just agree with saying at every meeting."Hi im so and so and im an addict"i just cant deal with that part,i feel that statement shouldn't need to be made well because i doubt people show up for the coffee and cookies so to speak
    Dominica likes this.
  19. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Smart recovery is a great resource but after reading the posts about 12 step programs I’d like to share my experience with them. Let’s address the “powerlessness” aspect. When we admit we are powerless we aren’t saying we are powerless in general or anything like that. I’m only saying “once I start drinking or if I were to start drinking again I have very little power over my own life” think about it. When I was using my life was ****, I couldn’t predict how any night would end, I couldn’t predict how I would be have, whether I would end up in jail. Once I took that first drink I was powerless to stop the inevitable madness that would ensue. Next, the religion aspect of the 12 steps. How many addicts and alcoholics do you think come into AA/NA believing in a higher power? I’d say less than 20%. I sure didn’t, I didn’t believe in a God/Higher Power and if there was one I was pissed at him for giving me the short end of the stick in life. AA only asks you to believe in something beyond yourself, for years I used the AA fellowship sad my HP. That group of sober people who had figured out a way to live without alcohol and drugs was CERTAINLY a power than was bigger than myself alone. Next the “I’m an alcoholic” now this is just my take on it. I am an alcoholic that is simply a fact. Nothing I can do to change that. Now that I’m sober 4 years I’m proud to be an alcoholic in recovery. I say it with pride, I’ve done what so few can do. Something like 95% of alcoholics die drunk. It’s not something I’m ashamed of and honestly in my experience society doesn’t shame us either. Every single time I’d tell someone who is “normal” that I’m a recovering alcoholic who has 4 years sober. Every time they say something like “wow that awesome, good for you!” So in closing I am powerless over my actions once I take that first drink BUT I’m not powerless over taking that first drink. I choose not to, I have strong evidence it will lead to jails institutions or death.
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  20. True concern

Thanks for an explanation i was able to wrap my head around,i imagine the reason that part bothers me is well like my personal story i guess i could start it with "20+ year's of addiction to basically every substance you can name.I won't lie i do carry a bit of shame still as i would literally hit a dope pipe while sticking a needle in my arm chug a fifth to wash down the xanax and Oxycontin and though it sounds exaggerated it's not and yes its hard for me to do this and honestly i still cry sharing and reading on this site,which im ok with that i don't care who sees it or what they think of that but again im going to be honest.I've never been to NA or AA and change is difficult.here there is no face to face though i posted mine shame free.Its conflicting emotions i guess