An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Experience With SMART Recovery?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Joseph, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

The way I see it, just like with everything in life if we are looking for something to dislike we are going to find it. I 100% believe AA can work for anyone. But the person can’t go into looking for reasons why it won’t work for them. They have to be open minded willing and honest. I drank for almost 10 years and when I first quit I felt a great deal of shame and guilt over the things I’d done. But through meetings and sharing and hearing what others had to say it gave that aspect of my addiction less power. Does it that make sense? The more I shared (the less it felt like secrets and shame) the more freedom I felt. My story is part of who I am, I did a lot of shitty things, but being honest about them and working the steps I got to become the person I was always meant to be. The person a 10 year old version of myself would be proud of. I’d say give AA/NA a chance, what’s the worst that could happen? You don’t like it? The best advice I can give for someone new to 12 step programs is to focus on your similarities not just your differences and just be open. Go into the meeting with an open heart. Honesty, open mindedness and willingness are the 3 key ingredients :) You walk into a meeting and its like you’ve known everyone for years, because they’ve lived what you’ve lived just with a few minor details changed.
    True concern likes this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I will give it a go thank you
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

SMART Recovery is not just for atheists, @True concern. It's for anyone. It's just an alternative to 12-step programs. It's not as prevalent as AA, but it's helped a whole lot of people. Especially those who had issues with 12-step programs, for whatever reason(s).