An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Experiences with Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Femiluv, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

So many people swear by it, but it doesn’t work for everyone. I know people who went from 2 packs a day to zero after reading the book. I know people who read the book numerous times but struggle to quit. Is there actually an easy way to stop smoking and is Allen Carr’s method the solution?

Any other Allen Carr equivalents out there?
    missbishi likes this.
  2. Jeff

Jeff Member

I believe I have written about this somewhere in the forum... But here it goes.

I know two people who quit by reading the book.
    I know of maybe six or seven other who quit by going to therapeutic sessions based on the book.
    I quit smoking tobacco by going to one of those sessions myself....

I used to smoke a lot.
    By the end of the session, I almost puked when I lit up my last cigarette.
    It was my birthday, so a lot of drinking was done after the session.
    Never craved a cigarette again...

It's really an amazing thing.
    I can give you more details if you want.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Allen Carr's Easyway worked for me temporarily many years ago but a death in the family started me off again. The book was suggested to me by a friend (who remains an ex-smoker to this day) and several other people I know have had success with this method. I would definitely recommend giving it a try - just be prepared to smoke a LOT at first!
  4. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

Jeff, were these therapeutic sessions organized by a therapist one-on-one or group therapy?
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I actually didn't realize that this product existed so am not familiar with it but wouldn't mind checking it out. I don't think there's an 'easy' way of quitting smoking as such, but there are methods and techniques that can help and can make it a lot easier. Another one who helps people by using such techniques is Paul McKenna. It's these types of techniques that I have used to improve various aspects of my life.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Personally, reading a whole book about smoking makes me need a smoke more. I stopped a few pages in because it was sabotaging my attempts to cut back. My dad however, who despises anything non-conventional like hypnotherapy, says it worked for him. Hasn't had a smoke in maybe four or five years now. I've heard good things about it from others too.

The book does definitely have some good points, the main one being that if you take a step back and say "what are the withdrawal effects of nicotine, really?" you realize it's not all that bad. It's a very psychological addiction and I can see why changing your thoughts on the matter can make a world of difference.
  7. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Although some people have found success by reading this book, I cannot see it working for most people. I believe the book teaches you about different ways to keep your mind occupied and help you through the harder times, but I believe finding your own method of stopping smoking works out much better than using a method that someone else may have used.

I found it easier to quit using an electric cigarette and went from smoking twenty a day to none in one day, just by switching over to the electric cigarette.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Personally, I like to read up on things like this anyway and take it all into consideration and take in my stride. I like learning about the psychological aspects of it all. I have learned many various techniques from reading self-help and self-improvement books and not only have I applied some of these techniques to giving up addictions but also for behaviour change and to improve my life significantly in other areas too. A lot of the time, the techniques are not only useful for the topic they've been introduced as a part of (such as giving up smoking) but can be used in other ways too.