An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Explain to me why pot is the gateway drug when kids try cigs and alcohol first?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by courtjesraspen, Jun 28, 2015.

1. The majority of kids try Alcohol or Cigs before they try pot I think we can agree. Their all illegal when your under 18 so could someone explain the justification behind labeling marijuana a gateway drug.

I just don't understand and I'm not one of those people who believes everything my government tells me because their ulterior motives are to make as much money as possible.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

people who believe pot is a gateway drug have been brained washed by tv. they blindly believe anything they hear on tv. and they have probably never smoked weed, or else they would know that alcohol is much stronger and more dangerous than weed. just because weed is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong. the law has no sense of right and wrong. woman voting used to be illegal. killing an unborn baby is not illegal. do you really trust "the law" to tell you what is right and wrong??
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Weed is a gateway drug because of the negative and false government information about it. When and if people try it, they find out that the government has lied, and weed is no worse (and probably better for you) than alcohol and cigarettes.

Because of this government deception, the government is discredited as a honest source of information. People will then question the truthfulness of gov. information on other drugs, and are more likely to try them
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

although this is probably true, they do try this first, well it was true for me and many of my friends, id say one, because cigarettes and alcohol are eventually illegal and 2, cigarettes and alcohol arent exactly drugs, but you do have a point.
  5. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

I've said the same thing myself. I think the ONLY reason weed is considered the "gateway drug" is because right now it's the one still somewhat illegal.

You're right though, the REAL starting point is cigarettes and/or alochol. The people that try pot almost certainly did one of the other 2 first. So one of THOSE should be called the gateway drug.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Because alcohol and cigarettes can be sold openly while weed is illegal, so of course the fact that you are consuming an illegal substance, then for curiosity's sake, then it's likely that you would try to seek and buy the more worse and notorious drugs. So no wonder it's called a "gateway drug".
  7. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

pot is no more a gateway drug than energy drinks the kids these days love so much.

Cigs and Alcohol are the most commonly used drugs by minors, because they have more access to them.... thanks to their parents who put cartons of cigs and bottles of vodka in the freezer.
  8. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Just because you enjoy something illegal, it can't be made legal. A government is not a money-making, for-profit trust that can walk away with all the cash in the country. We elect it to govern us, take collective decisions for the good of entire society.

Weed is more harmful than tobacco and alcohol and has been experimentally proved out to be a gateway drug. If this thinking is naivety, it must be done away. You should not mobilize public opinion to ratify what you feel is correct. I'm sorry, but I can't bear to accept so many people supporting illicit drugs. We must work toward a strong society, not for a weak one in the name of misplaced notion of freedom.
  9. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

Most of the people consume alcohol or smoke, so they obviously do not want to say that alcohol or cigarettes are the gateway drugs. They want to blame someone else and maybe even not take responsibility for theiractions.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Alcohol and cigarettes are not illegal which most probably the reason why they are not considered as gateway drug. But right that most those underage tried first the alcohol and cigarette. Which is illegal and more appropriate to be the gateway drugs.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The media like to promote that marijuana is a so called gateway drug simply because its easily available but illegal.

Tobacco and alcohol users, and also the multi million dollar companies that make them, wouldn't take too kindly for them to be called gateway drugs as it paints a negative picture on the industry, and might affect their profits.

We all know they are gateway drugs, we're just not allowed to say it.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

"A Gateway drug." Yes that is true this is a subliminal and conscious brainwashing phrase. It is being used this way because it is a gateway drug. There is nothing wrong or right about it. The law we know is situational and right or wrong has nothing to do with it.. Legal in a few states, but federal law says it's illegal no matter what. Right.
    What is important is how it is used and what is added to it. Intention.
    What do you think of when you hear gateway? You think of hell; gateway to hell. Certainly not gates of heaven, the pearly gates. There is symbolism in the phrase to create hate.
    Paranoia and psychosis are pretty close to feeling like hell if it is bad enough. This is the objective and this is what goes along with marijuana. Maybe it doesn't effect everyone the same way. Now in a dispensary you can pick from many different varieties and effects. Flavors, strength, and so forth. Ones that you must please stay home and not to drive: big fat warning. Brownies, muffins, and goodies loaded with marijuana. Lol. A friend of mine puts them out for her customers to try.
    There is more to the phrase "gateway drug" than meets the eye.
  13. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

I think maybe because some people that smoke pot might be less inhibited to try another drug because they already tried one. And maybe pot starts to get boring. But I definitely think alcohol is worse. I hate people that drink and get wasted all the time and then are judgmental on people that smoke.
  14. Kessen

Kessen Member

Weed is a gateway drug because it introduces you to an illicit market. People buy pot from who tells them it is fun, and then it is fun. So if the dealer then offers them cocaine and says "try this, it is fun just like pot." why wouldn't they believe the dealer?
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol and cigarettes are the true gateway drugs. They open the doors to so much illegal drugs out there. They are also legal once you are of age. So if anything I think law makers are enabling the problems for more harmful usage.
  16. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

"Gateway" drug is such a loaded term and doesn't have a concrete definition in my opinion. To me, a gateway drug depends on the person. Perhaps for some people, pot does lead to harder drugs. But for a lot of other people, they never do anything else except pot.

Anyone who says that Pot will 100% lead to harder drugs is just trying to push an agenda. There is plenty of research out there that shows pot is not nearly as addictive as most other "gateway" drugs.