An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Explicatives

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kana_marie, May 15, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

When people hear the word "addict" used to describe someone, all sorts of words will run through someone's mind. Rarely are those words nearly as kind as "sympathy" or "empathy" or "strong" and the one that is never in the first thoughts is "recovering".

It's what has been engrained since we could understand the English language.
    Crackhead, theif, desperate, homeless, junkie, useless, liar, guilty.
    What's the most insulted and offended you have ever been in regards to your addiction?
    For me, it never occurred to me that I should be offended. Well, until I cleaned up. Then I finally became aware of all the insults and judgements that people would spit out in front of me. i suddenly understood that that was not them being friendly and nice.
    My brother announced to everyone in my family, and all of our mutual friends that he wasn't "inviting his crackhead sister" to his daughter's birthday party.
  2. raidermari

raidermari Member

@kana_marie
    Only someone who goes through this terrible cycle of abuse and addiction can realize just how hard it can be and how strong you have to be to fight it. It is a terrible fight between inner will and craving. I guess because a lot of the struggle happens inside your head so people get insensitive about these disorders and problems so easily. They can't even see half of the struggle that goes on. They just assume that it's just as simple as waking up one day and deciding not to touch alcohol or that particular drug or substance ever again. If it were so easy everyone would be doing it.

I can't believe your brother said that in front of your whole family. He should not have done that. He has no idea what you have been through and even if he does, he should still be respectful enough towards you to not point that out so blatantly and in such bad language. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
  3. kana_marie

I don't let that stuff get me down, usually. It isn't any worse than what other people have been through, it is just different. And I talk about me and mine a lot more often, so it sounds like its worse than someone who NEVER talks about themselves. Lol
  4. Stella

Stella Member

Once, someone told me that I was an attention whore and I was a dirty crack head. The crazy part is that I never smoked crack in my life. The fact that they called me an attention seeker was what ultimately hurt my feelings. I have not once done drugs for the sake of attention. The person that called me these things was the person that pressured me into telling them that I used to be an addict. I don't get their logic, but even though I knew they were ignorant, I couldn't help but to feel horrible about what I have done in the past. Some people are just awful!
  5. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

That's horrible. I can get so angry with my husband sometimes, and I just want to upset him like he did me. Calling him an addict is so easy! It's like a big red button with an arrow pointed at it. It takes a lot of self control to keep myself from saying it. I bet a lot of other people probably see it as an easy stab at you. People can be so disrespectful sometimes.
  6. kana_marie

I agree. I think when someone gets mad, especially if they are in the "not so good person" category they're going to say whatever they can to hurt you. Those are the people you REALLY don't have to take seriously.