An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Exposing children to good influences

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by wander_n_wonder, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is everybody's role to ensure that we live in a drug free society. As parents we must be the first ones to advice our kids. Teachers also have their roles. We must be strict so that our kids are not influenced to start taking drugs.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

The good influences start at home. If you're a parent, realize that your kids start watching what you do from the time they are babies. And as they get older, your behavior has a lot of influence on them. While it might sound drastic to some, I believe that parents should act the way they want their children to act later on in life. Don't want your teenager to smoke or drink? Then don't smoke or drink yourself. I get tired of hearing parents asking why their kids are drinking at a young age (or smoking cigarettes, or whatever), when those same parents are modeling that behavior for their kids at home. Don't just talk the talk...walk the walk. Just my $0.02.
  3. rrs4623

rrs4623 Member

You can raise a child the best way possible, and yet, that does not guarantee that the child will follow the right path. Peers become more influential at a certain age, and sometimes it is not possible to control who comes in and and out of your childs life. Being there for them, rewarding good behavior and punishing bad behavior is the best you can do. Once the child reaches adulthood, it truly is up to them. I hate seeing parents suffer because they believe their child is a certain way because they failed as a parent. That is never true. A person knows good from bad at an early age, and you cannot control choices people make.
    deanokat and Winterybella like this.
  4. MNyte

MNyte Member

Well, you monitor their behavior and who they associate with. Then, based on their daily attitude, you might feel entitled to expose them to the reality of any substance use - how it is bad to use. Tell them affirmatively, and make it clear that it is not acceptable, and you clearly do not accept them to use substances.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Parents need to be the people to expose their kids to good behavior. Lord I mean to tell you all these folks I see where I live. Party it up never see them without a beer in their hand. These same people like to think they are good folks, but guess what you may have a good job, nice home and new cars. You also have a habit that you are passing to your kids. You are basically telling them a good time can't be had without booze, and it's a shame.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

First off being strict might sometimes be at the root of why some children rebel and end up using drugs.Yet when we say that it is also true that sometimes being too permissive can expose our children to the wrong people causing them to succumb to peer pressure.

There was a time when some here believed that a being enrolled in a certain school reduced the chances of children being involved in drugs but sadly children are influenced no matter where they go. A lot of the times I think it has to do with your environment and in the end the mind of the child.

Sadly we can shield them completely from what is out there. All I think we can do is try to lead by example and pray that our children make wise decisions. There just is no easy answer to this whole question.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@rrs4623... You are so right about parents feeling guilty about how they parented their child(ren). Parents of kids who suffer from addiction have enough stress and pain in their lives without throwing guilt on the pile, too. I felt guilty early on in my son's addiction, but I was able to get over that with the help of my therapist. Thank God.