An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Express yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by LaurenChaste, Dec 4, 2014.

1. LaurenChaste

LaurenChaste Member

What makes you YOU?
    muthoni likes this.
  2. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

The fact that I am me and I am no one else.
    What makes YOU you? :)
  3. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

Sometimes I don't know what makes me myself. I am often so focused on pleasing others in my life and what others think of me that I'm not sure how much of me is ME and how much is a reflection of what they want me to be. Before I went on disability, for example, I worked in a job that I didn't like very much because it was what I was "supposed" to do, go to college and get a full time job. I was pretty unhappy except for the moments I was too numb from drinking or the moments someone was specifically praising what they viewed as my success.
  4. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Huh? I thought this would be easy to answer but I have to think through this thoroughly. I think my past is what makes me, me today. The pain, hurt and trials has contributed to the person I am. My child has however influenced a positive change in me,
  5. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

What makes me, me is the determination I have in myself and the things I want. It is the trials and struggles that I have overcame and it is the encouragement and love that I have from my family and friends surrounding me constantly!
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Honestly, I'm not a you, I am me - technically and literally, you is plural. What physically made me was my parents actions and nature's infinite processes took place afterwards that shaped me to what I am physically today. What I am mentally, is something of my own belief drawn from my experiences, memories, and all the external impressions in the now effecting me in its entirety. However, I am a changed man every moment I exist, for I do not care to be the man I was a moment ago for it is long gone and I am only left with the me of now.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Philosophically, and probably literally as well, the only answer to this would be that it's because it's me and nothing else. We are not made up of our likes and dislikes, nor our names or where we come from, we simply are who we are and that's what makes all people unique and important because we all bring different perspectives to the table, and it's only unfortunate that most voices in this world are often stifled for one reason or another.
  8. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

I believe that my past experiences, my family, the way I was raised and my way of dealing with situations is what makes me me.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

What has happened to me in the past is set in stone. I had no choice in growing up in the house I lived in. That was set by someone else. When I left, that is where I began. Everything I did afterwards is what I am, and I continue to grow. Life is a journey. We stumble and fall. But we always get up and walk again. That is who I am. My decisions and the people I affect is who I am.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think what makes me me is that fact that I been through so much and yet I keep going. Learning that I was always an emotionally strong person, and always believing in myself when others wouldn't. I spend a lot of time alone, and I feel like I really got to know myself more than I ever have before (especially in the last years). I think the list of what makes me me will only grow as I learn more and more about myself everyday.
  11. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

It's quite refreshing to talk to other people who are addicts and not feeling guilty about talking about it or feeling judged. I feel a weight off my chest knowing that I am not the only one who struggles :)
  12. FionaMuva

FionaMuva Member

My unapologetic demeanor. I have never been sorry for being myself. Unless there are some flaws that seriously need to be eradicated. That is when I zoom out and I have to be apologetic.
    RoseK likes this.
  13. kita

kita Member

My unshakable determined ability to hope even when things are at it's worst, and the hour, it's darkest. The knowledge that I possibly do not know myself as well as I thought and enjoying the adventure of self discovery. The stubborn strong willness that helps me stand up even after the world gave me brutal lashing.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Good question. :) I don't know exactly, I don't spend much time thinking about it. I just do what I have to do, and what I like doing. I like to formulate an idea in my head and follow it through until it becomes reality. I enjoy organizing things. I like travelling... and floating, and being one with nature and the cosmos. :)
  15. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

What tactics/plan do you use on difficult days to stay on track? I've been battling depression for most of my life as well as using alcohol to calm that anxiety. I would like to create a "kit" that can be used on those days when I feel most down. Any ideas? I'm currently on medication for my mental illness and I faithfully write every day. Open to all ideas :)
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am a very strong willed woman and I will succeed in what I put my mind to do. That is really what makes me who I am. I am also kind and generous. I have made mistakes in the past and have learned from them and I have accepted those mistakes.
    RoseK likes this.
  17. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

What makes me, me? Well, I can be mean and nice all at one time. I find myself ,at times, wanting to socialize with people who enjoy my same interests. My children are my world and for some reason, I expect them to be better than me and my own endeavors. I love, cry, eat, and think sometimes in that exact order. I love to attend local food drives not because of the food, but because I love being social with all types of people from all walks of life. I find myself engaged in international affairs on the news and wanting to make donations and pledges to different charities. What makes me, me, is I guess, not being everyone else.
  18. emily0531

emily0531 Member

I have read several of your posts, and although I am not an addict, I live with an addict who does not want to try to recover. You have found the strength to turn your life around and make a better future for yourself and the people that care about you. What is the one piece of advice that you would give to someone who needs help but doesn't want to try?
  19. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

This is a very interesting question what make me me? I guess I am a unique being that is kind and trying to live my life right. I matter to some people and I contribute to the good of the world that I live in. I have a purpose that only I can fulfill. No one else can live my life for me. I will be missed when I am no longer in this world.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'll just quote my friends speaking of me. "she's as honest as the day is long." "she is a treasure." "you're a good woman." "you are the happiest person I know." "you are amazing."
    There is plenty more, but these are the ones that stick out in my mind. Each person's level of perception is different. I think that each one of these comments is also true of who said it as well. We see what we want to see in other people and what we allow others to see. We are who we are. What makes me, me? I just am.