An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Face Your Fears

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most people fear change.

What will happen after they quit? Will they be treated differently? How will they cope with whatever it is they wanted to escape in the first place?

It's all in the mind. Being afraid that you can't get by without drugs is a debilitating mindset that will make it impossible for you to beat an addiction. Embrace positivity and face your fears. Attempt not to flee from problems. When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade . . .
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As hard as it is to face your fears, I think it is an important step to be able to tackle things head on. Otherwise, if you're always running from your problems then you'll basically be running all your life.

The very nature of our existence is that things challenge us and we have to overcome them - and facing them is the first step in that!
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I learned to face my fears very quickly and that alcohol was not the solution. The biggest fear I have ever had was being alone. I realized that my friends and family are there for me and that is all that matters. Some people do not need a lot of people in their lives, but I at least need someone in my life.
  4. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I have a friend who smokes marijuana and she said to me that whenever her boyfriend is coming over she smokes a joint and this makes her wild sexually and pleases him to the max. In an instant such as this one she is reluctant to quit for fear of being seen as being boring in the bedroom and that he might just end the little thing they have going.

Just the fact that she have to be someone else to please this guy is just wrong in so many ways for me. She is a friend and I want to pull her away from this relationship so much but she is really caught up with him and wont see past the sexual thrill of it all right now.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Any relationship that is all about sex lacks real love. You could try advising your friend before it's too late. There's no point in her attempting to please her boyfriend by smoking something which will negatively affect her health eventually. Some sacrifices aren't worth making. Let her test her boyfriend. If he can't have her when she is "boring" then he doesn't deserve to have her at all.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Confronting your fears is probably the only way that you will even contemplate quitting as what your going to do is very scary.

A lot of people will have been an addict for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to be clean so a life without drink or drugs will be entirely new for them.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is difficult to fave your fears but the sense of accomplishment you feel afterward is wonderful and something to be celebrated. Life without drugs and alcohol is so clear and full of potential. You can conquer any mountain and accomplish many goals.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am one of those people who fears a lot of things in life, specially changes. I have always loved routines, and whenever there would be a change in my routine, I would feel anxious and unfocused. But yeah, I have to find ways to overcome it because changes are vital in life. Nothing is permanent except change, and we should always let our faith be bigger than our fears.
  9. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

It is only after you face your fears that you will unleash your true potential. Like Marianne Williamson said, our biggest fear is not that we are inadequate but we are powerful beyond measure. Conquer your fears and live, love life.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah I guess some people do fear change. I like it. I've had more than my share of change in my life. I'm sure people who have had drug problems know what it's like to be sober. Perhaps it is more of a fear of reality, because it can suck. Right? Reality is like this thing that we live in but we don't always like or want. Drugs definitely take you out of touch with reality. Changing reality will be the real feat, sober.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, people are afraid of the unknown, so they stick to what's familiar even if it's bad for them. They should strive to wean themselves from their bad habits because if they don't, then they won't get further with their lives and they will still be dependent on drugs or alcohol.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  12. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Fear is our worst enemy, we need to overcome our fears if we want to be free and successful, nothing like fear can hold you back from achieving your goals and this fear might as well lead you to drugs because you want to escape from whatever you fear from happening.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I am also such a scaredy cat. I do not jump into unknown situations without weighing it first. I guess it can be a good and bad thing. It is good because you will not get into risky situations. But it is bad because you tend to be afraid of every new adventure that is in your way. I guess there has to be a balance. Try to jump in the unknown once in a while. This is also one of the advices I should be following.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Before I quit smoking, I was afraid of my friends avoiding me because of it. More precisely, I thought this was the main thing tying us together. Of course, we met while smoking, lots of people socialize through it. But it seems like they enjoy my company even if I don't smoke with them anymore, and some of them were really happy to hear about it too. They respect the fact that I quit and don't smoke around me anymore.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think a lot of drug addicts suffer from depression and anxiety as well, so it might not be quite as easy to face your fears. It's really frightening to get out there when your mind works at a thousand thoughts per second, trying to work out every outcome of your actions. I think we sometimes need to just shut down our brains and go with our gut instinct.
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, and there's actually people go don't quit because of this, they are scared to some out of their comfort zone and basically they are stopping themselves to be a better version of them. And most of the times facing our fears just made us strongest and wisest.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I totally agree, it is all in the mind. But the mind is very powerful. People can really overanalyze and convince themselves of something that's not true. That's why it's important to have support around you who can tell you the truth.
  18. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

You are right. It is wrong in so many aspects about your friend's giving up her rights to her own body to demand respect and genuine love from her boyfriend. Do keep pulling her out of this mess and bad situation and save her. With you as her friend, she has hope for a sound mind for a better life ahead.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Fortunately, I've been put in positions during the course of my life where I had to embrace change. Perhaps this happened because I chose the path of the entrepreneur. This is a scary path as one must live with constant uncertainty and constant change. Eventually I got used it. There are days when I still get fearful about certain things, but I've learned to overcome that fear very quickly.
  20. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think that facing your fears is a huge part of being and staying sober. If you have been an addict for a long time you may be afraid of what life will be like without drugs. Or you may be afraid of the emotions you will feel when you are off drugs. Facing your fears is also one of the hardest things in life. Thank you for this post extremely inspiring!