An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Facing humiliation!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

You made many good points there, people, some people like to see someone struggle and they enjoy their humiliation. But these are not good people and they do not deserve your time spent even thinking about them. People that do not understand addiction or the individual circumstances that go with it can be incredibly judgmental. Taking your own life is the last thing you want to do, especially over people like them.
  2. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

Humiliation comes in many forms. Nothing is quite as excruciating to our inner beings, either; but when it's humiliation we bring on ourselves it can be a good thing if we recognize it and can do something about it.

If it's humiliation that someone else heaps upon us, however, it just might be that it's their problem and not ours.

There are some people who love to pick at others about their weaknesses. Particularly if by doing so it makes them feel superior in some way. Sometimes, also, people will use your weaknesses against you to get their own way in matters.

There are also those who, while telling you they are trying to help you, will pick you apart full well knowing that you will be hurt (and or angry) enough to turn to your weaknesses even when you are trying desperately not to. They tell you they want you to get past your problems; but somehow at the same time they don't really want you to because if you do they will have lost some perceived control over you.

So you have to watch and take care to know where your feelings of humiliation come from.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Humiliation is part of our human existence, so everyone has experienced it at some point. As for me, I rarely feel embarrassed anymore and I have developed a thick skin over the years when it comes to insults and mean comments. Come to think of it, I remember as a kid I never really got embarrassed when a teacher reprimands me. I don't even get offended nowadays even if I hear mean comments. :D But for the more sensitive people, I guess they should not take it personally and they should just not mind the detractors. I know it's hard to do, but there really is no way to deal with them than to ignore them and not make it affect them.