New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

faith based rehab fail

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by nebula, Jul 7, 2015.

1. nebula

nebula Member

I've been to two faith based rehabs (a rehab program with religion mixed in) because they were free. I was kicked out of both of them for non compliance. I actually think these rehab centers are why I am religion free today. The first rehab I went to was the worst because you weren't allowed to sing "wordly" songs (non Christian songs), women had to wear VERY baggy shirts (rape culture at its finest. Don't teach the boys to respect you. Teach the girls to hide their bodies.) And it was a lot like boot camp with the activities and eating schedules. I think that approach probably works great for some people but I think I needed something a little more warm and organic.

Have you experienced faith based rehab? Did it work for you?
  2. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I guess it all depends in the person, but sometimes there’s no other choice. It could be for money reasons or because the person has tried everything before and nothing seems to work.

My uncle is an alcoholic and was in two different rehab facilities that costed a lot of money. One was ridiculously expensive and all the family helped him pay for it. He came out as a “new person” and stopped drinking for a year and then he relapsed again. Years later he decided to get clean again, but of course this time no one in the family helped him pay for an expensive place. He had no choice but to go to one of this faith based institutions. When he came out he told us it was awful, but I guess he hit rock bottom in there because he’s been clean ever since.

I believe that maybe you have to focus in your rehabilitation process, in your inner journey and your wish of getting better has to be stronger than what is happening around you.
    Slt likes this.
  3. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I don't think religion helps one out of addiction. I don't think a person prays and just becomes sober. It doesn't work out like that.
  4. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Of course not, that’s stupid. You only get better if you want to get better. No matter if it’s in a faith based or a thirty dollar a month institution. God has nothing to do with your addiction, the only one who has something to do with it is YOU.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I think it is probably a great option if you have the same religious beliefs. If not I can see where it would be a problem. Discounting a program simply because it is faith based might be a bit hasty, but if you know going in that you don't have the same beliefs it could be a waste of time for you.
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I detest these faith based rehab programs. First of all, many of these people running these things are not medical professionals at all. They have no formal training or credentials in psychology or general health practitioner services. AA won't even publish its "success" rates, because they are no better than people who don't participate in their programs.

My biggest gripe with these types of services from faith based groups, is they are taking advantage of people when they are down and trying to use the opportunity to get you to join (and donate $$$) to their dwindling parishoner base.

There is no reason to demand people subject to a given faith, in order to provide them rehabilitation services. That's like saying I have to convert to Islam to get my tooth fixed at the dentist. It's baloney.

I had to meet with a court appointed attorney recently to deal with a domestic violence case that my drama queen brother brought against me for yelling at him (one of many fights *he* initiated). The attorney heard of my situation, and my previous drinking issues, and abruptly told me that I need to come to her church. I had to put the breaks on that crap immediately and explain to her that I am atheist, and she needs to stick to providing me legal services and not use her job as a means of proselytizing.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

@OhioTom76 You clearly are not objective in your judgement of these programs. They can and do work for some people. Of course they aren't right for everybody but to generalize them all as being bad simply because they are faith based is silly.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I have never experienced such a thing before. Well, I don't think religion would fully help you, but having a personal relationship with God definitely would. It's not about following the customs, practices, and traditions of a certain religion, it's about following God's word.
  9. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Here's the thing.

Faith based rehabilitation programs are made for (you guessed it) people of faith. I would certainly admit anyone who had the desire to join, but I would also force them to adhere to the program so that the majority of people (the religious folks) can get the best results possible. I don't believe that having a dress code aimed at modesty is a bad thing. If anything I'd say that the opposite (revealing clothing) is objectifying women and introducing a sexual appeal in an inappropriate place.

As for the singing of worldy songs, I think this is mostly because there are many types of music that enable drug abuse. This is namely rap and rock and roll. Singing or listening to Wiz Khalifa at rehab is just in poor taste.