An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Faith

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by pstrong1969, Sep 5, 2015.

1. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

" Whenever you do not understand whats happening in your life, just close your eyes, take a deep breath and say....."God,I know it is your plan, Just help me get through it. Amen"
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yup, but this is a double-edged sword. You can't always think about bad situations as the plan of God and expect things to work out in the end. You have to "take the bull by the horns" and actually strive to resolve whatever problems you have at the time, the future is not going to build itself.
    kassie1234 and AFKATafcar like this.
  3. pstrong1969

Havent you had a problem or situation that you have tried to correct or someone in your family was sick, really sick with cancer and theres nothing you can do. Wouldnt it make sense to turn to God, if you believe in God, and give your problem to him and know that whatever happens its Gods will.
    norms options likes this.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Not everyone believes in god and Christianity. It might work with some people and gives them hope in a idea of a higher power, but for me and many others, it is going to be the belief in myself and the love of my family that brings me up. I think too many people are willing to look at God to save them, when in actuality it is the person ability to find the right find the inspiration and motivation to get better.

People are too quickly to call to God for help, when it all starts with the people around us and our own self worth. Start looking at the life we have now and not the afterlife.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

As I've said before, God is a powerful thing for many people, but it means nothing to some others. Believing in a higher power can absolutely get you through tough times, but it won't get every single person through tough times, especially if they don't believe in a higher power anyways. So for those people, it doesn't make sense to turn to God, and they have to find another way to cope with the issues they're dealing with.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I could somehow agree with you, but the bad things that are happening to you could be the deeds of the evil forces. God would not let His disciples be harmed. But yeah, in times of trouble, never hesitate to seek God's guidance and mercy.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

True that having faith can make us hopeful and that is a good feeling. This helps if you are a believer and right that we have to do actions as well. In order to see and feel good changes.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm on the fence with religion with things like this. It can be a help in overcoming things, sure, and feeling like you're not alone - but I've also seen plenty of people use religion as an excuse for bad behavior of varying forms too. What works for one won't work for everyone and that's just a simple fact of life!
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The mistake most people make is associate faith with religion.

Fact though is without faith it's impossible to do anything. We never are 100% certain that everything we do will end in success but that doesn't stop us from making that attempt to do it.

Why?

We have faith in ourselves — in our abilities. In order to trust a God you do not see, you must learn to believe in yourself first. Believe that you can make it. It will give you the impetus to win.
  10. pstrong1969

I want to clarify the topic of Faith. The faith i speak about is a faith in God and not religion. Im not religious, Im Spiritual. There is a diffrence. You dont have to believe in a certain religion to have faith. I believe in God, thats enough for me. I know Im treading on a controversial topic and hope i dont offend anyone.
    norms options likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Recovering from an addiction is a lot easier if you have something to believe in and the faith to know that your not on your own and you can do it. Even people that aren't religious need something to believe in to help them overcome issues in their life, even if that just means the belief in yourself that you can beat it.
  12. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I find that the more I let God lead my life and the more I turn over to him, the better my life becomes. I have made it clear that my intention is to follow whatever plan he has for my life, and he continues to bless me in new and wonderful ways. This does not mean that I will not be tested or that everything goes exactly as I would want it to, but I accept all of it. As Jesus said before he was crucified "not my will, but yours be done".
    afriendinneed likes this.
  13. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

God's disciples do get harmed, but it is not God that causes it. Look at Job and how much he suffered. This is part of the deal because there is spiritual warfare going on every day, and sometimes we have to endure the worldly suffering that goes along with it.
  14. afriendinneed

afriendinneed Member

I love what you have to say and I couldn't agree more. My question for you is, how do you turn yourself over to God and trust in Him? I believe that God has a plan for me and that He can guide me in my decisions, but at times it is hard to trust in Him. He has helped me with my addictions and other problems in lives, yet at times it is hard to trust in what you don't see, in only a feeling. Sometimes it's hard to live life by faith and not by what we see. How do you see with eyes of faith instead of your own sight?
  15. pstrong1969

I didnt say Faith was easy. I ask God for the ability to trust him and his plan. Praying alot and having people to support me spiritually helps. We cant live this life alone.We require help. I say the serenity prayer often. God Grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen!!
  16. pstrong1969

Faith has to be developed. A strong faith requires some action. Prayer being the biggest. Seeking Gods will for you. Trust in his Plan. God Test our Faith but does not tempt us with Sin. The Devil does that. When bad things happen to us thats when Faith comes into play. Its easy to have faith when life is going good. Our test is when Bam life shows up and something bad Happens. "Faith without works is Dead"
  17. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

If faith is what pushes you on and makes you strive to be a better person, then use it. The world could use a little more faith in God.

"God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, or sun without rain, but he did promise you strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it.""
  18. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

People who are taking this bad just replace your idea of the christian god with just a higher power or the universe as a whole and a greater power, it just is nice to give your trust in something and be helped in our time of need you know?
  19. pstrong1969

Yes I do understand, I have been all alone in a Prison cell. Not a true friend in the immediate vacinity. Thats where i turned to GOD. He took away the lonliness and got me threw my time. God is there for you when you pray to him. He will not leave you nor forsake you.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

When you have done everything in your power to solve the problem and you still failed, then there really is nowhere to go and nothing to do but to turn to God. I have a problem where I fail in every attempt that I do, so with a frustrated and discouraged mind, I just leave it all up to Him.