An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Faith

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by pstrong1969, Sep 5, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

We always need to have faith, but many times we need to put in our effort too, we cannot expect good things to happen just by asking, we need to try hard too.
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Pstrong1969, I commend you for your strong faith. As for me, I am constantly praying for more.
  3. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Wow man, that was mind blowing speech. you should create a thread about this. I have been thinking about this whole faith and god and religion but since I don't believe in God I was wondering where do I place my faith...
    Rainman likes this.
  4. sunflogun

That might be true, we need to have faith in ourselves, but at the same time we should not be arrogant and think we are on top of the world.
  5. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Yes, a person must have faith that things will turn out the way they are supposed to if they are going to stay in recovery. Too many things can throw us off track, bring us down and put us in a negative head space. Faith in something allows us to look past what is going on and look toward the future when things will have ironed themselves out either with no effort on our part or lots effort on our part. Having faith does not mean you have no responsiblity to create a better life for yourself by working at it, it just means that you feel sure that whatever is going on," it too shall pass", But I think that you need more than just faith to be OK. I think that hope is what keeps me going when I am at my lowest. Even when I am my most depressed as long as I have hope that tomorrow might bring a better day, it is bearable. I believe that the absence of hope is truly the beginning of the spirit's demise. I have faith that everything in the universe works together for the greater good when we align ourselves with the rhythms of earth and nature but unless I have something to strive for, something to hope for, I will stagnate. Hope that I will meet the right man, hope that I will achieve my career goal, hope that I will be a grandmother, these things keep me alive and growing. Yes, have faith, but don't discount the importance of hope.
    pstrong1969 likes this.
  6. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I believe Hope and Faith keep each other alive. They feed off of each other. I have faith in God and I hope he continues to give me what i need everyday to survive. Thank You for sharing JayLyn.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

For those that believe in a higher power, praying can certainly help. There are many that don't believe in God and have no religious affiliation or spiritual leanings. That's okay, all human beings are free to follow the path that they think is best for them. These folks prefer to rely on their own abilities to deal with their issues and take full responsibility for the outcome.
  8. MzHansan

MzHansan Member

I honestly truly wish I was religious. It just seems so great to be able to believe that there is a higher power watching over you, aswell as the idea of the afterlife. Everything about religion, christianity especially, just draws me. On the other hand, I was raised in an atheist household, and I find it impossible. Belive me, I've tried. I've tried going to church every sunday, praying, the whole thing. But everytime I tried, I remembered all the things my parents taught me about religion being made up, and I just... Can't. If there really is a god out there, I hope that he can help me find faith.
  9. sunflogun

I think it's more or less the opposite Hansan, it's not god who will help you find faith, you'll need to find your way to him through you actions and efforts.