An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

False suicide attempts

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 6, 2015.

1. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I would say that if it had not gone on for that long and they were not really wholehearted attempts then it was more a cry for attention than for help with feelings of suicide. Many people will try to cry for help if they are not really sure that they want to commit suicide so it is hard to say what is going on in someone else's mind. We can try to work it out but we will never know for sure. It is a good thing that you are no longer in that situation as it was probably a very stressful one and not good for you emotionally and psychologically. It is a shame that people will manipulate other people's feelings especially when that person cares about them.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There's probably different reasons people do this. It's not always about attention. Depression most of the time is the cause of this. The thing is you can never really tell what causes this unless the person seeks help.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

My point to this long post is to ask if you feel suicide attempts are a real effort to die?

I cannot say that all suicide attempts can be categorised into one type. Of course, some people attempt to commit suicide because they really do have some mental conditions like depression or PTSD. Some people try to commit suicide to gain the attention that they're not getting.

Is it for attention?

Like I said, it can be, though not all the time.

Is it a cry for help, and they want to live?

For me, all suicide attempts are cries for help. Although some want to live, we cannot discount the fact that some people do die because of it. And for these people, death is the only solution they can see. So in that case, no, they don't want to live.

In all of this, is there an addiction?

I cannot say for sure, different situations varies.

Is it an attention addiction?

I really do not want to label all suicide attempts to be like that. Some people do want attention. But some people really do need help. Most of the time, those who want attention also needs some form of help or therapy.

A wanting to be miserable addiction?

I don't think anyone wants to be miserable. They really are just under too much stress, problems or maybe there's a condition that we don't know of that makes them want to commit suicide.

Is it something else?

I know that some people have been so depressed that they cannot feel anything anymore. And that's why they resort to hurting themselves, just so they can feel again.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't really have a negative or positive opinion about people who contemplate or even commit suicide. Sometimes the pain a person feels outweighs everything else, and they choose to finish it all. And so be it. Their families will grieve, it will take many years to understand and live with it and, no doubt (in my mind), it has many direct and indirect karmic consequences that everyone involved has to deal with.
    But it's a different story when you are manipulated by another, who "blackmails" you emotionally, by telling you that they are about to end their life. You are in a state of constant worry about that person. You might know deep within yourself that the person will probably never really go the whole hog, but things can go wrong, and accidents do happen. And then what? Will you blame yourself until the end of your days for not having been there when you were "most needed"?
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There are various reasons for suicide or suicide attempts
    Non-life threatening suicide especially occurred after announcing it is to get attention
    Suicide is also a cry for help
    Suicide is also a case of severe depression and other mental disease
    Suicide is also a result of losing all hopes in life