An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Family Drug Abuse History

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by MissLisa, Dec 7, 2014.

1. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

My family have a long history of drug and alcohol abuse. As a child, I watched my father get into a lot of trouble and fights because of this addiction, and their were times that our lives were at risk. After my father died, my mom started hanging out with our neighbors. They were known as drug and alcohol addicts, and it was not long before my mom started to use. The children ages ranged from 4 to 12 years old and there were seven of us at that time. My brother and I had to work after school collecting aluminum items and selling them to recycling plants just to keep food in the house. I was nine, and and my brother was 8. Because of our effort to help feed the family, we became very close. One of my older sisters cooked the food after my brother and I bought it and brought it home each day. We worked every day and tried to keep the amount we had made hidden from our mother. We felt that she would try to take it and use it for drugs. We also had to suffer physical and mental abuse. I feel very blessed back reflecting on our experiences because I was told later that my sisters actually suffered sexual abuse on top of everything else. Today people say that I am too nice, and I spoil my children. I realize that I may be compensating for what I experienced as a child, but I believe in treating everyone with kindness. I will not let people take advantage of me, but I will try to help them until it is obvious that the help is not appreciated of useful. I work hard everyday in the efforts of trying a be a better mother and all-around person. these attributes is something that was missing in my life as a child.
    Charli likes this.
  2. Miles Hansen

Miles Hansen Member

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I think you're amazing. That you've managed to turn this horrible situation around, and into something good, being a good mother to your kids, helping other people. The world needs more people like you. Keep being awesome!
  3. kima

kima Member

People in your situation tend to give up, but you've endured and survived. You've had to suffer so much, but you refuse to continue the cycle of misery. Instead, you've broken away from it and created a great life for yourself. You are a good mother who learned from your own mother's mistakes. Thank you for being such a great person.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's remarkable how you carried on and strived to live a meaningful life despite your family's drug and alcohol abuse history. Your grit is impressive. Rest assured, your children will have a better life under the care of a mother like you. You are not your parents and there's so much good you can do. Thank you for sharing your story. It's worth learning from.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Greetings MissLisa,

Wow, what a story you've shared with us! It is very good you endured through your families problem with poverty and your father's drug addiction. Also, hope your sister has dealt with her sexual abuse, because I know a friend who never has tried to and it has led him to do very emotionally self-defeating things in his life. Take care and stay safe.
  6. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

You are a blessed and beautiful woman. Even though exposed at such tender age, you held your head high and now you can truly say you have passed the worst. Just keep focused, pray at all times and continue being the wonderful person you are. Whenever you help anyone God will always reward you even if your effort is not appreciated. Welcome aboard and I do hope to hear a lot more from you.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I share the sentiments of those before me. Your story is one that should inspire persons. You did not allow your environment to lead you down the path of drugs and alcohol. In spite of it all you were able to shape your own destiny and that is remarkable.

I trust your siblings are doing well and regret the horrible experiences you all had to endure. As for you, continue to be the best that you can be for your children. They should be very proud of you.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm sorry you had to go through all of that hardship at such a young age. Unfortunately that type of story is very common here, not necessarily out of substance abuse but just the general inconsideration of most parents who keep making kids they can't take care of, and on top of that a lot of them do also abuse alcohol anyway and they don't even work.
  9. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

This is a great story. Congratulations on staying strong and taking on the responsibility of being a provider and fighter. Some people fall into the same habits that they see others struggle with and it takes very strong willed individuals to resist and go the opposite direction. We need more like you so continue to stay encouraging others because most the time addiction starts in home. Good luck!
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That's a really inspiring story and am happy that despite all odds being against you,you managed to overcome all those hardships and emerge victorious.You went through a lot and it's just a miracle that you pulled through.I believe it was through God's grace that you're here today,a mother, and striving to give the best to your kids.
  11. rga1999

rga1999 Member

MissLisa you are strong lady by the sounds of it. I know from first hand experience that seeing that as a young child, vs dealing with it as an adult can be one in the same. Very hard to shake those images, and memories especially when you have children of your own. Ensuring the kids are not in the same situation shows tremendous growth especially when history tends to repeat it self in most drug infected families. Keep up the good work. God Bless.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

You have overcome a lot and it is obvious that you have the determination to stay on the path to a successful journey. A family history can be a crippling factor and you have done a tremendous job in keeping this in mind and striving for the best for yourself and your children.
  13. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Well done for all you did for your family. Such a lot on young shoulders. I had a normal upbringing, so I cannot blame my childhood for my drug problems. When my eldest 2 children now 21 and 20 were young, they coped really well with me being on drugs. I know it wasnt fair on them but they do not hold it against me, thank goodness. They walked miles with me to score, when I was on a driving ban, they were such little troopers. But I always made sure they had everything they needed, they were never neglected at all. Seeing what I went through then put both of them off class A's but they do both smoke cannabis. I had a few years clean, then relapsed and had 2 more children. Although I have a habit, I take very good care of my kids and they always come first. You can be an addict and still love your children, no matter what some might say.
  14. funpost

funpost Member

This is such a inspiring story. Some people fall for drugs and weeds for various reasons and circumstances. Unlike you, my brother-in-law was a brilliant man, a very smart guy, went to a top rank college and had a good job, but after years of drug abuse and up until now, he looks like a walking dead. He's lost his marriage, job, and sanity and even been jailed for weeks before. Our whole family has to cope with him day after day in extreme stress and hardly see little light in the tunnel...