An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Family Education for Addicts

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by irishrose, Nov 4, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Sometimes family members of recovering addicts will also undergo education programs in order to have a better understanding of how addiction works and how to handle stress. This can be beneficial to the addict by surrounding them with people after rehab who will hopefully have a better understanding of what the addict is going through. These family members are encouraged to support sobriety and to alleviate stress for themselves and in the home.

Have you ever gone through or would yoi be willing to go through an educational program like this to support a recovering addict? Which program did you use? Was it beneficial?
  2. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

I've never been through a program like that, but I do think it would be really helpful to me, if there was a good in-person one in my area (I learn and focus and an open more to what's being said if it's in person). I would definitely love to have a resource like that available to my loved ones so they could understand better what things are like for me. It's hard to have the energy (or information) to explain stuff all by myself.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

My wife and I went through two family programs at two different treatment facilities our older son was in. Our younger son joined us for one of them as well. Addiction is a family disease, and when a loved one is struggling with addiction, the whole family is affected. That's why the entire family--not just the addict--needs to work on their recovery. Family programs are a great help. They educate and help you understand how important self-care is. They can keep you from becoming addicted to your loved one's addiction. If you love an addict and ever have the opportunity to participate in a program for family/loved ones, I highly recommend that you do so.
  4. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I haven't gone through it but I'm happy that they have programs like that available. It's important for the family to understand how to not enable and to help out the addict the best ways they can. It's a great tool. I've seen others do it and it helps a lot.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I haven't gone through this but I wanted to. I lived out of state when my family member was in rehab so I couldn't go to the family meetings, but I understand they were very helpful. I wish I had the chance to learn more about it, I think those programs are very helpful for the patient and the family.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

When the family wants to support the addicted one and get informed, it's a great program. A lot of families of addicts are simply not informed, and don't even know how to communicate about it or approach the situation, which creates tension and complications.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not gone through such education program and not sure if there is any of such program here.
    I do think that educating the family is helpful since addiction does not only affect the addicted person but also the family and people around him.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I believe that the best way to cope with someone's addiction at home is having the whole family engaged with the problem, so they can pull together until succeed.

In my personal case, I was the sole addicted at home, and while my family was aware of my addiction, they said to have preferred to avoid getting involved because of my own attitude; I tried to hide the fact of my addiction until I hit rock bottom.

Yet they were not supportive in my recovery, but pretended that everything was okay, leaving it out to myself.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never gone through something like that before, but for my loved one, of course, I would be more than willing to join these kinds of education programs. As long as I think I could be able to help one of my family members, I would be happy to put some effort for his/her well-being.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd not thinking twice if a loved one was dealing with an addiction, everyone in the family should do that. Everyone needs to get as much info as necessary, so they know how to react to the reactions of the addict and how to solve certain problems. This is super important! Definitely worth one's time.
    deanokat likes this.