An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Family Member Lost to Drugs/Psychiatric Illness

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by ellelady, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ellelady

ellelady Member

Within the last two years, my family member (I won't specify their exact relation) has completely changed. They always overused pain killers, but this was something completely different. I still, to this day don't know what drugs they are using to cause them to act this way, it is likely a meth amphetamine of some sort that they mix with large amounts of pain killers. They lost their job, and have completely lost their mind.

They have become so psychotic that it has caused quite a bit of angst on our family's relationship. They won't admit that they are doing drugs which is causing them to have this psychotic after effect, and refuse to believe that they are wrong. It's hard to cope with and decide how to proceed and help them when this is the circumstance. Does anyone else have any past experiences like this?
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

They must, first, admit that they have a problem with substance abuse. Then, they must be made aware and hear the truth. They must seek professional/support group help.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

If it is really effecting your entire family, you can always arrange for an intervention. Then the person is forced to face the reality. However, your family really has to be prepared to do the intervention becausethe results of it could go either way and you hsve to stick to it.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I haven't experienced anything like that but just like what the others said, your relatives first have to recognize that a problem really exists. You cannot do anything much to help them if they themselves don't recognize the fact that they are addicted and it's ruining their lives. It is only when they acknowledge their problem and submit to the desire to change that they can be helped by other people.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In my family it was alcohol that destroyed everything. Whatever type of addiction a family has to deal with, it's always very difficult. Finding the right kind of help depends on how closely knit your family is, and whether there are other family members that could have a strong influence on the addicts, helping them see clearer. It also depends on where you live and what kind of help is available in your area. I would suggest that you research all possible options to see how you could bring about a positive change. Every case is different, and it definitely takes time to find proper long term solutions.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The first step is for them to admit they have a problem in the first place, as it is with any addiction. People can only be helped if they are open to being helped.
  7. bavinnie

bavinnie Member

Yes, I have had similar situations within my family, and like most others have said here, it is impossible to help someone who truly believes that nothing is wrong. Some sort of intervention could force them to face the reality but anyone involved would have to be ready for the steps following the intervention and understanding that it could many different ways, and a lot of the time it won't go the way you would have hoped but not matter what road you take to help them, know that it will not be easy. You, and everyone else who is going to be involved has to be ready for the long hard journey ahead.
  8. pwarbi

And that's one of the main things to remember. The problem doesn't just belong to the addict, it's something that will affect everybody around them aswell.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So sorry to hear your relative has completely lost himself/herself in this. I completely understand to because I lived it myself in the past, I'm a former addict, but I'm also the living proof one can change one's life if one really wants to. I'm not a big fan of interventions, but it sounds like your relative needs one.

I know I have said so many times that a drug addict won't quit until they actually want to, but sometimes you just have to step in. I think this is one of those cases... I hope your relative realizes he or she has a problem and needs help, then maybe he or she will want to get help to quit.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Somewhat but in a different way. Psychotic, when people get in this kind of a state many things take over. Rationality is not in abundance. Pain and pain killers are kind of a fuel for this. If they stick booze on top of it. I'm dealing with someone like this currently. Sad really when they are in complete denial and have other addictions that fuel it even more.
    Its no way to live nor is it fun to have to be around them. You begin to understand the rhythms of their behavior. No pain pills irritation and easily flies into anger. Drinking the night before, easily agitated and flies into rage. Eats a bunch of junk food. Rambling on and talking $^(t. Not enough sleep from eating junk food; psychotic episode. You are the mental nurse for dealing with this crap.
    Lots of people loose their jobs. Lots of people have pain. Neither one is fun. You can either attempt to make that person's life more pleasant or enjoyable. Or instigate and make it worse. Its like walking on eggshells. They are in denial and everyone owes them something. They will fly into rages and then want a hug the next day. Some people are addicted to rage or causing it. Myself I do my best to keep the peace. You begin to realize who is worth keeping around. Its been said that life is short. Sorry but its long and drawn out. Lol People that act like this are just miserable and only happy when they bring you into it. Unless you are wiping their butt they are miserable. Lol I think I probably have a degree in the school of hard knocks.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is really sad. I have never seen someone become psychotic before,but have witness drugs ruin lives. I believe that when someone is addicted to something it has an effect on their brain. An addicts priorities will not be important when the need to get their next fix is always on their mind. The only solution is to quit and give your mind time to recover.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know about that and right that it is hard to offer help to those who think they do not have any problem or do not need any help. There should be realization first and they should also help themselves. Sadly that drugs can really change a person and destroy relationships.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Some people are just plain stubborn. I guess "denying" the problem equals " there is no problem" to some people. Realizing that you are wrong and have a problem means owning up to it. It also means taking responsibility for your actions. Is the family member still denying it? Call them out on it because the last thing you want to do is enable them.
  14. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Some people just refuse to get help and unfortunately see their own way out.
  15. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I have lost a brother to suicide due to medications that were prescribed for bipolar and schizophrenia. I am not sure what was worse, him off the medicine, or him doped up on the pharmaceutical drugs that the industry used him as a guinea pig for. The side effects of the pills made him severely suicidal. He would talk about it all the time. About how he felt like on the pills, that he was not himself or even in his own body. It's a tragic event when he felt he needed to just end his pain. It has left me with questions as to do these prescription pills even work?
  16. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

My father abused drugs for years before I was born. Even after he quit, the damage was done, I lost him to kidney failure when I was 18.
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

A lot of people don't seem to understand mental diseases, and to be completely honest, not even the medics can't understand them. However, no medic has the intention of experimenting on their own patients, especially on patients with diseases that can't be treated too well. Sadly, a lot of mental diseases don't have a treatment. There are treatments to improve certain aspects, but they can't eliminate the cause.
  18. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have had a prolonged experience with my brother. He is a cannabis addict and has reached a dysfunctional stage. The best intervention to assist such people is multidimensional. One has to address the problem from the physical, psychological and spiritual angles. Another thing to note is that in the event of total failure, these people have to be saved from themselves by notifying the authorities or taking them for electrotherapy. However, it depends on how close you are to them.
  19. pwarbi

It is hard when a friend or family member needs help, because with some addictions the only help that will work is from the authorities. That will get that person in to trouble though, so even though you know they will get the help they need, you'll feel guilty also about getting then into trouble at the same time.
  20. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

First of all, you must get them the help that they need. Second of all, make sure that during rehab you are doing your part in supporting them.