An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Family member needs help

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by lacross19, Jan 29, 2018.

1. lacross19

lacross19 Member

Hello,
    Growing up, my father was in the Army and an alcoholic. I don't have to tell anyone of the issues that has created in my adult life.

The issue is not me, but my sister. She is a former Marine and retired on a 100% disability. She is not battle injured, but has psychological and emotional issues. Since leaving the Corps, she has fallen twice and broke an arm and injured her knee. She has to have a walker to get around. She also sees a psychiatrist that prescribes meds for her bipolar condition. She lives a few states away and tells me stories that I can not believe. In the last few months, it is getting difficult to even understand her on the phone. I think she is mixing alcohol with her meds, though she is telling me she is not. I'm not stupid and have struggled with my own demons, but also know she need serious help.

I believe her husband is an enabler and can't believe anything any of them say.

My question is, is there anything I might say or do to help. My other sister and I have dealt with her for many years, but she has really taken a turn for the worse lately.

Any discussion would be helpful.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@lacross19 hello and welcome. thanks for reaching out. it can be challenging to deal with an addict...as we don't always know when they are telling the truth... we want to believe them...

i'm going to give you a couple of links that discuss how loved ones can best support addicts... having a real heart to heart without judgment comes to mind. letting her know you're really concerned... it's tough, i know. you want her to be ok..you want to help. Al-Anon teaches us that we didn't cause it, can't control it, and can't cure it. she has to come to the realization that she is an addict/alcoholic and then start the path to recovery.

here are the links. let me know if they help.

https://candaceplattor.com/free-articles/top-10-survival-tips/

https://www.recovery.org/topics/how-to-help-a-loved-one-with-addiction/
  3. lacross19

lacross19 Member

4. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

You're welcome!
  5. robynx125

robynx125 Member

@lacross19 Since your sister is a veteran, there are many programs and rehab facilities that she can go to to get help. I suffer from bipolar disorder as well and mixing alcohol with bipolar medications is very dangerous. I hope that her husband makes some self-realizations that her well-being and her life are too important to risk. Good luck to you!
    Dominica likes this.