An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Family member recovered!!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by tasha, Feb 21, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

My cousin recently came out of rehab and he is now in recovery which means he has started weekly group sessions and is sober. He was on tik which is a drug very widely used here and it was so hard to get him to go to rehab after he stole money from his parents, abused his wife and verbally abused his kids.
    It was not easy to see him like that and there is a lot of damage to repair but the good news is that he ahs made it through rehab and recovery has been 40 days now with group sessions going well. Unfortunately I cannot be his therapist but I do see progress and this can happen to anyone. It is not easy to stay sober but it can be done and with a forgiving family you will get through it
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Awesome! Glad to hear, having a supportive family helps so much.
    I hope that the family has forgiven his past transgressions, meth can make good people do terrible things.
    I pray that he can find the strength to stay clean and I also pray that the family will give him the support he needs.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

That is indeed good news. I'm glad that your cousin is in recovery and that he's gaining progress. Staying sober is hard. But just like what you said, one can get through it with the support of family and loved ones.

I really do hope that he fully recovers. I wish the best of luck to your cousin, and to you as well.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am so glad that he got the help he needed and that he has been clean for 40 days. That is a wonderful start for a whole new life for him. I hope in time he is able to repair all the damage that has been done in her personal life because of this addiction. I will say a prayer for him and he continues on his journey.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

God is good all the time! I am always happy to hear these recovery stories, even though my dad is still not taking heed. I am praying for your relative to just keep on that positive pathway. The first step is acknowledgement and he is way ahead!
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@tasha... I'm really happy to hear that your cousin is doing well. That's terrific. And it's wonderful that you are supportive of him. I wish him nothing but continued success going forward.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It is nice to hear that after all the struggles your cousin had gone through he decided to undergo recovery and this is such a wonderful thing that he had done for his life. I just pray that with the continuous support and love of his family and relative like you he will totally fully recover. May God be always with him and as well with you who had a kind heart for your cousin. All the best of luck to both of you!
  8. tasha

Thank you so far it has taken a toll on his marriage but I think that they will get through it and they will be a family once again. Time is all it needs and with his group sessions he is doing well as well as having a family member support him there too.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  9. tasha

Thank you it has been a long ride for our family and staying sober is definitely not easy but it can be done
    deanokat and Mara like this.
  10. tasha

Thank you so much! he is looking a lot older than he should but in time he will be back to a healthier version and hopefully a healed one, prayer works so thank you !
    L_B likes this.
  11. tasha

Thank you we are all there to support him and support from people here too can make us all stronger in the darkest moments when we don't think it counts for anything but it does!
  12. tasha

Thank you and we praying for your dad too! Time heals all wounds but it also helps to give a family member a little push into the right direction with positive thoughts and encouragement. If they know that they have done some small thing right at some stage of their lives then that might be a push in the right direction. Keep strong!
  13. tasha

Thank you faith is so important and it works!!!
    ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know about that and his story can really be an inspiration for those who might also have addiction problems. True that it can be done and it is possible especially for those who are helping themselves together with those who are willing to help and care.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am always happy to hear or read stories like these. It is testimony to change being possible. I suspect it will not be an easy road ahead but with love and support so much good is possible. I pray for continued progress for your cousin.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So glad to read your relative is doing so well, tasha :) He is lucky he has a loving and forgiving family, not everyone is so lucky. i hope he doesn't relapses again and blows this opportunity away, let's hope not! I truly hope he can make it!
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Congratulations to him! And I really hope he keeps it up especially for not only himself, but his wife and kids. That's terrific.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, that's such a great news! Kudos to your cousin for a job well done. I hope this would continue in the long run. Just keep supporting and encouraging him. :)
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Yes it is true that faith is so important and it is a necessity to all the things that we are doing in our everyday life. Without faith we cannot find peace to talk with God for all our hopes and wishes in our life. God bless you more and continue to have that faith in Him.
  20. tasha

It can be done as long as you have a good family backup to support and encourage