An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Family

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Do you think that if you have family that smoke that you are more likely to smoke yourself?
    I find that addiction to tobacco does tend to run in families.
    This could be a genetic predisposition to addiction, or it could be as a result of enviorment. My whole family smoked growing up, and when I got older it seemed to be almost second nature to me. Smoking for me has always been very comforting in times of stress.
    However, I know many people who do not smoke because they hated it when their family members smoked.
    What is your opinion based on your personal experiences?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it's really peer pressure that can cause it. If your parents smoke but none of your friends do, your most likely not going to smoke at a young age. When I was younger all my friends smoked. I think it depends on the environment more than the parents.
  3. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Like drinking alcohol, addiction to smoking can be inherited however that doesn't you are going to become addicted. You get the natural pull toward the drug but if you are aware of your family history then you should know to stay away.
  4. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I
    I very much agree with you Carnold23. I think that although genetic predisposition to alcohol and drug abuse does exist, that growing up in a family full of smokers can make you either embrace it or make you absolutely hate and abhor it. In a way, I also think that growing up in a house full of smokers can get you started into smoking cigarettes and eventually lead you to other drugs.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I don't think it always works that way, that if your family smoke it automatically means that you will.

For a lot of people growing up around smoking will have the opposite effect and will mske them not want to smoke at all in their lives.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's a high likelihood that living amongst smokers will increase the risk of eventually being a tobacco addict yourself. Even exposure to secondary smoke over a long period of time itself can be the cause of the addiction. It happens. One can be addicted to tobacco and not know it because they don't smoke.

However since kids normally experiment [out of curiosity], once they smoke even once, they'll get hooked.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think having family members who smoke is one factor in a person's decision to smoke but it's still influenced by a lot of other factors. I know people who grew up in a family of smokers but they did not become smokers too. I myself did not grow up in a family of smokers but my group of friends were the ones who influenced me to smoke. Good thing I was able to quit and am now living healthily and happily without the influence of nicotine. :)
  8. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Not really. It's more likely that children will start smoking out of curiosity and because their parents don't have any authority to forbid their children to smoke as long as they are avid smokers as well.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it depends and it does not means that if someone smokes in the family, all will also be probably smoking. In our household, some are smokers and some are not. I personally hate the smell of it and have not tried it.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Children who grow up in smoking environments are more prone to becoming smokers when they grow up. Addiction does run in family, but, as you stated, there are also people who are so pissed on their siblings that they reject the idea of being addicted and do their best not to become like them. It depends on the person, mostly.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

My parents were never smokers, I lived in a smoke-free home. I did, however, try smoking when I was bout fourteen, then again when I was fifteen and by the time I was about sixteen or seventeen I was a regular smoker. Alternatively, I have known people who came from a family of heavy smokers but never smoked themselves. Some of them never even tried it, so it didn't seem to have an influence on them.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

Availability of cigarettes can make one to smoke. It is true that you grew up without knowing the dangers associated with smoking. Either you thought that it was beneficial since your family members used to smoke. I remember I started taking alcohol because it was available since my father used to take alcohol at home. But after learning through experience, I had to quit taking alcohol.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Definitely, it's easier to get into something if you see someone close to you doing it, same applies to smoking. In my husband's case it was different, he grew up breathing the cigarette smoke of his dumb parents, he tried to help them stop as a teen, but later on when he was 21 picked a cigarette pack smoked one and became addicted. Now I have no idea if he will ever be able to stop smoking.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, you could either inherit the addiction from your family, or you could get influenced easily by your relatives. It still depends on the person though. As for me, I have got a lot of cousins, and uncles who love to smoke, but I have never been tempted to try it.
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Absolutely! Smoking was never a thing in my family, and I never touched a cigarette. However, I've got cousins that smoke, and that's because my aunts and uncles were regular smokers. Fortunately, a few of them quit smoking realizing the dangers to their health.