An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Famous people who have died from heroin.

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by IrishHeather, May 16, 2015.

1. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Just wanted to post a list of some of the notable celebrities we have lost to this toxic poison that's seems to be infesting our nation.

• River Phoenix was an American actor who appeared in the film "Stand By Me." He died of a heroin overdose on October 31, 1993 at the age of 23.
    • John Belushi was an American comedic actor who appeared in the film "Animal House." March 5, 1982.
    • Chris Farley was a comedic actor who appeared in the film "Tommy Boy." On December 18, 1997.
    • Janis Joplin was an American musician who had a number one hit with the song "Me and Bobby McGee." Joplin struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for much of her life. On October 4, 1970, she died of a heroin overdose.
    • Philip Seymour Hoffman was an American actor who was in the film "Capote." He died of an overdose of heroin and other drugs on February 2, 2014 at the age of 46.
    • Jim Morrison was an American musician who was the singer of The Doors. On July 3, 1971, Morrison died when he suffered cardiac arrest due to heroin and cocaine use.
    • Sid Vicious was a British musician who played bass in the band The Sex Pistols. On February 2, 1979, he died of a heroin overdose.
    • Cory Monteith was an American actor who was on the television series "Glee." On July 13, 2013, Monteith died as the result of a toxic combination of alcohol and heroin.
    And the list goes on and on. I got much of this information from Ranker http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-who-died-of-heroin-overdose/reference?page=2.

We need to do everything we can to bring attention to the addictions that seem to haunt our nation without prejudice to race, sex, social class, and nationality. So sad.
  2. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

Wow this is very sad. The world has lost so many famous people to this drug. I did not realize that Philip Seymour Hoffman died from Heroin. It is all terrible to hear. What is even more terrible is that most heroin doses are on purpose and that just shows what the drug does to you.
  3. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

This is the power of drugs. If rich and influential celebrities can't rid of them, what chance does the average Joe stand against these "devil send"?
    Amy Winehouse died in 2011 and how could you forget about Michael Jackson? He died of prescription drugs in 2009.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

So many celebrities in that list that have been lost to heroin, and then there's a whole separate list that could go on about celebrities lost to other forms of drug use too apart from heroin. It's awfully sad. It doesn't make me long for a life of fame, that's for sure -- I feel like as a celebrity your access to drugs is a lot more open than ordinary life. I'm basing this on things I've read, of course, so I can't give you concrete statistics on that. But I do think as well the pressures of fame seem to be intense and it's not something I think I could handle.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It seems that the celebrity lifestyle and drug abuse go hand in hand these days and there's not a lot people can do to stop it.

People know about how many people have died this way and they still continue to take it.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Amy Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning, not a heroin overdose, as many people originally assumed.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  7. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Whitney Houston died due to abuse of cocaine and other drugs. Specifically, she died of "atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use" according to her biography on Wikipedia.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

While John Belushi was heroin addict, I still believe he wouldn't die if her girlfriend then would not injected the lethal dose that killed him.

Another risk of heroin, doing too much to lose conscientiousness and having others making a decision on redose in the belief this is going to "help" a loved one to keep flying high.

As for Jim Morrison, remember that besides heroin and cocaine, he was alcoholic and liked to mixing alcohol and drugs, whose heart was going to resist such mix?
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think with having a lot of money and these starts sometimes use drugs and don't think about the consequences and also they leave behind the friends and family and also fans who are shocked by their drug abuse history which is sad. Mixing things is not good, as the heart and lungs will not be able to take it and also will need to bring changes in the law and also how these are easy to get is shocking as well. It can be shocking when people, turn to this and also how many turn to this to solve their problems in their life.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  10. calicer1996

What these celebs are promoting unknowingly is the concept of Live Fast, Die Young. Our younger generation is greatly influenced by such happenings. They need to learn that life is a gift not to be squandered away.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I'm not sure if I think this is helpful but I do understand why you are posting it.
    Most of these are just entertainers and not really leaders of our communities. God has given us the gift of life not to waste but to build great lives and share with others. Perhaps we put the wrong people up on high, what we should be doing is talking about the local priest that helps the homeless or the local Church that has a free addiction treatment program. Yes it is unfortunate that these people passed away, and we are all here because of the pain in our past but also because of the glory we hold for our future.
    I suggest you ask your preacher/pastor/priest who he looks up too. That is where you will find true blessings.
  12. calicer1996

Nice thoughts. But posting it here has it's own meaning. This post shows what money/drugs/fame can do to powerful people. It says that drugs do not discriminate! And they are dangerous. Hope you understand it better now.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Such talented artists who let themselves lured in the drug world... so bad for them.
    If I were to discover my talent and become famous, I would certainly not ruin my life with drugs, regardless of how much money I'd have to obliviously and endlessly spend, as it isn't savvy whatsoever.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Ahh okay yes I do understand that thank you for taking time to clarify. Especally as the young people these days tend to look up to these people and yes drugs do not care who/what you are, the Devil does not care who he leads to sin as long as they sin. We also know God works through mysterious ways and he will work through celebrities and church leaders alike. Lucky we do have good celebrities making good role models just look at Steve Harvey God Bless.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it is so sad that there are famous people who died from heroin. They should been a role model instead of getting into addiction. Better if there will be lesser cases than seeing the list grow.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

From what I observed, most of them died not because they were having trouble coping up with the pressures of fame but because they simply wanted to take drugs for reasons known only to them. They were good people in their own way but I guess they couldn't handle themselves. Rather than condemn those who are no longer here and personally could not defend themselves, it's better to find the reasons why they did what they did and learn from their experiences.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Somebody from Glee? I didn't know that. What a shame. There is actually a big fat reason for that. Whatever circle behind that famous person makes money off of them. Their profit sky rockets if they die in a outlandish way. The famous need to stay away from this junk as it is all about money in the entertainment industry.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

What a sad list. I remember the day when I read about Philip Seymour Hoffman's death. It felt deeply personal to me, as if a friend of mine had died. I regarded him as one of the best actors of all times. It sounds strange, but I miss him, knowing that I will never see a new movie in which he dazzles me with his brilliant performance. I seriously admired him when he was still among us, and I will always admire him. What an incredible artist he was...
  19. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is one strong drug. It makes me wonder why people even try it. I guess some look at it as a casual way to have fun or cover up pain. I am sure that it is just as hard to get off of it too.
  20. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

Another tragic celebrity death was Peaches Geldof. I was very moved by her death because she was so young and had so much going for her. So sad to see her follow her mother to an early grave. Two young children now must grow up without their mother.

My son was told at one of his counselling session that heroin takes everything good and destroys it. I thought this was a very apt expression.