An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Famous People Who Have Overcome Addictions

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by frogsandlegos, Nov 4, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

I think it would be nice to share well-known individuals who have overcome addictions, and I guess would be role models to someone who is now trying to fight an addict and is considering rehab.

My first thought would be Jodie Sweentin. That is probably because I just recently finished reading her book. She was not only an alcohol, but addicted to heroin. SHe did relapse after getting help but is now clean again, and has been for awhile. If you don't know who she is, she is famous for playing the role of the middle child on "Full House."
    Joseph likes this.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think that is a terrific idea. Having someone to look up to would really give impetus to anyone fighting addiction and to know that you are not in this fight alone would encourage one to kick out whatever one is addicted to.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Angelina Jolie is another drug addict who managed to overcome her addiction to drugs. She used virtually all types of drugs: heroine, cocaine, LSD, etc. But somehow she got hold of herself and said no to drugs.

And who would have guessed Robert Downey Jr. [Ironman] was an addict? He'd have made a name for himself in the 90s but because he was addicted to drugs then he was left out in the cold. Eventually though after struggling real hard, he overcome his addiction to drugs and has become the mega-star that he is today.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Rapper Eminem was addicted to a few different drugs. Actor Daniel Radcliffe was a heavy drinker for awhile during some of the Harry Potter films. Unfortunately, famous people are a lot like the rest of us. They get addicted to various substances and struggle to deal with their addictions. Not all celebrities recover from their additions, either.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I knew that Robert Downey Jr. was an addict, but I never heard about Angeline Jolie. I guess it's pretty easy to become an addict when you're famous and have a lot of money, leaving the addiction is not so easy though.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never heard that Angelina Jolie was an addict although I already have such thought before when I saw a photo of her than she was extremely thin. Good thing that she overcome it since she have children who need her love and attention.
  7. Gelsemium

I am glad for them because I imagine that they have really complicated and turbulent lives, despite all the fame and fortune. Either cases, some never come out like the home alone movies actor...
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

9. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Some celebrities that have overcome addiction are Drew Barrymore, Kelly Osborne, and Fergie. I am really glad that Drew Barrymore has been able to overcome her addictions because she is such a great actress. I am happy for all of them.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You can actually add Russell Brand to this list. He's been sober for more than a decade now. In the beginning, he dabbled with every drug imaginable not to mention he cavorted with high profile women such as Kate Moss and Geri Halliwell. He has now overcome substance abuse but is still a womanizer.
  11. Gelsemium

12. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think that there are so many child actors that have become addicts in alcohol or drugs because they never got the chance to experience life as a child. This is so important for the growth process into adulthood. They also lose themselves when they become famous as there are so many people telling them what to do and when, they are forced to work when they are tired and naturally it is a lonely life because you cannot trust outsiders to be your friend. This is why they do it but many of them have escaped the life of addiction and with the industry they work in, it must be extremely difficult to stay sober.
  13. Gelsemium

That's true tasha, they skip childhood, they access a lot of money too soon and the result is that they can try and become addicts, it's not easy to be famous.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I know Robert Downey Jr. was once battling drug abuse and alcoholism, and like xTinx has mentioned, Russell Brand as well, whom out of all the recovering addicts I like the most because he is able to speak about it from a more rational standpoint in my opinion. He doesn't try to demonize the substances and instead takes full responsibility for his actions.
  15. Gelsemium

That is important, even though we were drinking or taking drugs we are responsible for what we did, so nothing like accepting it and making an effort so that it doesn't happen again.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

This is about Diane Sawyer I saw her in a video on youtube. Back in her younger day, very pretty woman then. Almost looks like Princess Diana. Of course Diane is still very attractive at her age now. Anyway she is at the news desk just setting there rolling her tongue around in her mouth. Lips are closed as she does this looks at her self in a mirror fixes her hair. She is talking to someone in earpiece asking it they went to see a play.Just chit chat she is drinking red wine from a wine glass. My jaw hit the floor then she picks up her purse from floor digs out a pill bottle, and takes a pill washes it down with wine. I was dumbfounded I just had to share that it's off topic a bit.
  17. Gelsemium

Well, if we want to go extreme we can just recall Michael Jackson and his strange obsession to change his figure. He mutilated his face and destroyed his life...
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I love that you mentioned Angelina. Who's story could more inspiring? From a troubled kid to one of the world's biggest philanthropists and influencers. Her story should be a huge motivation for anyone overcoming drug and alcohol abuse.
    Rainman likes this.
  19. Gelsemium

That is true, Angelina has made it to become a world class actress and she helps in a lot of humanitarian causes, so that's what can happen to us when we are clean.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  20. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

It seems that most famous people are addicted to something. Not to say they all are, but for the most part they have all had a experience with a substance, or substances at one time or another. I just believe it comes with the territory.