An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Fear and Stigma of Addiction

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Mar 10, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Having seen some relatives go through addiction helped me become more understanding of their situation, and me having been a heavy alcoholic drinker and smoker before also helped me know how it really felt to be in their shoes. I have seen how my addicted relatives and their family struggled and I have also experience struggling myself.

There are just some cases where addiction and circumstances could turn very ugly, leading to violence and crimes. These are the things I see on the news frequently. Seemingly perfect people and relationships are destroyed by addiction, crimes which resulted from the influence of drugs, sons or daughters murdering their parents and vice versa. It's sad to think that addiction bring out the worst in people and make them do things that are just so unthinkable.

Some people become stigmatized because of these occurrences and would make them fear people who are under the influence of addiction. I too admit to sometimes fearing the things I hear on the news. It sometimes help to be wary at times especially if you know that the person in front of you is under the influence of something.
  2. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Drugs can definitely affect a person! When my daughter uses, she cannot be trusted. She lies and steals; even from her young siblings! When she is sober she adores them. She also brings other drug users around who have guns and violent histories. I cannot let her be around us unless I am certain she is clean.
    gracer likes this.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Life can be cruel a times; addiction has turned the nicest people into criminals and convicts. It is one thing to raise a child, it is another to raise an addict because they are like sick people. I hope @Momma9 you will have the strength to keep up hope your daughter recovers completely.
    Momma9 and gracer like this.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I do fear people under the influence of drugs and I'm sure lots of people are like this. It's not fearing the person per se but fearing what he or she could do under the influence of drugs. Oftentimes, drugs alter our ways of thinking that we might commit doing things that we don't even know of.

For instance, there was news the other day about a girl who was supposedly killed by her boyfriend and friends because they were using ecstasy. Up to now, the details of the incident is still unclear and the suspects haven't been investigated yet.

Then there was news of a young man who ate his grandmother's heart while under the influence of drugs. He said that it was just a "trip" he wanted to do. He felt no remorse with what he did. And he tested negative for any mental health issue.

Anyway, these examples just goes to show that lots of fearful things can happen while someone is one drugs. So I think that the fear we have is justified.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

@Coolkidhere It's really sad to think that people could do unimaginable things because of the influence of drugs and substances. Addiction is an evil that destroys a person and his surroundings. You are so right in saying that the fear that most people feel is not really on the person him/herself but on the possibilities of violence and crime he/she could commit because of the influence of drugs.
  6. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

Addiction takes away the "human" from "human being" leaving the victim an emotionless "being" struggling to find his or her place among other "humane" beings. This is probably why addicts are usually the most friendly, caring, and helpful individuals during those rare moments of sobriety, until another craving for a fix hits. Addiction is a terrible thing I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.
    kelseyg, gracer and Momma9 like this.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's so hard, because I think despite addiction sometimes making people act in horrible ways, there are others that don't behave really any differently and their addiction is just kept behind closed doors - and some of the people that most need love and support in this world are addicts. So it can be a juggling act to balance the desire to help someone, but not jeopardizing your own safety if the person affected could turn violent or behaves very unpredictably.
    gracer likes this.
  8. gracer

I can only think of a dear relative as an example. Despite having been an addict for so many years, we have never seen him act violently towards others and he still remained the sweetest person that he is. He and my mom are distant cousins but they have basically grown up together because my mom lived with their family during her younger years. So she has always known him to be a kind-hearted person. It was just too bad that addiction ruined his life and his supposedly bright future. He's been sober for years now but still, we couldn't help but think about what he could have become if addiction hasn't taken the beautiful opportunities he could have had when he was younger.
    kelseyg likes this.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Drugs will always have a negative impact on one's life, so if you know someone who is using, then you better do everything that you can to influence them to change, not only for themselves, but for the sake of the people around them.
    gracer likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When a person is under the influence of drugs, that drug takes away the person you know, and they become just a shell, for want if a better expression.

They might look and sometimes act as they would, but the drug will create a dark side to them that not even they know they had, and that's the part that no one know what it will do.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most of the time if someone has had experience with addicts, they will be cautious around them. Drugs do have negative effects on people, and can cause some people to become dangerous. I don't blame someone for being on edge around a addict. I'm not saying you should judge someone unfairly for being addicted to drugs but it does help to be cautious.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It also depends on the drug a person uses. People who drink alcohol can be quite aggressive and violent and one should always expect the worst when you are around them.

However someone who smokes isn't dangerous. So while it is wise to be cautious when you are by an addict's side, the fear shouldn't paralyze you. It should instead motivate you to do more to help the addict so you no longer have to always be on your guard when you are around them.
    gracer likes this.