An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

fear of swallowing pills?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have this weird fear of swallowing pills. They are so tiny and biting them is usually a bad idea because it taste bad. I have had the nurses mix pills with applesauce when I was younger. The worst was when I had pneumonia and had to take antibiotics. Those pills were huge! I would take a knife and cut them in half, then take each half separate. Unless I'm really sick I avoid taking pills at all cost.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I used to have trouble swallowing pills also. I had tonsillitis many times when I was little and the pain of swallowing pills eventually made me paranoid about them. I used to have dissolvable medications. They tasted disgusting but it got the job done. As I've grown up I don't have that issue anymore though. I think a lot of it was just built up in my mind and I was overreacting.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I know people who have that fear, but in reality, I can swallow pills without water. It does not bother me whatsoever to swallow pills.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't like swallowing large pills. Small pills I can handle. I think it is important to cut pills in half if they are too big to swallow. You do not want to choke on pills so halving them or crushing them is probably the best thing you can do. Make certain that you take your meds..Alternatively you could ask your doctor if you could take them in another form.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It isn't so strange I have a family member that has the same issue. He goes to great lengths to get around swallowing a pill or cope with it. I guess it is just an unnatural motion for them to swallow something like that with a beverage. I get that way with large pills but otherwise I'm fine.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You should try drinking them. If pills you take come in capsules you should break them apart and put them in juice or something. Smashing up a compressed pill and putting it in a drink could work too. Large pills could get stuck in your throat I don't know why they make those. Finding ways to drink your medicine might work best for you.
  7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have tried taking pills in halves when possible. Unless it's one of those pills with the gel inside. I have to try not to syke myself out and get it over with. I hate to look silly sitting in front of a doctor because I don't like swallowing those things as old as I am.
  8. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

One of my exes had a really small throat, and one time she took a large pill with milk. It wound up getting caught in her throat, and she spent the next half an hour choking on the thing. Her nose wasn't clogged and she had enough clearance to breathe a little bit through her throat, but it was still an extremely scary experience. So, yeah, in a sense, I have a fear of swallowing pills, though it's usually somebody else swallowing the pill, as I apparently have a throat the size of a whale, and can get pretty much anything down without issue.
  9. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It's a fear that many people have, but you shouldn't be crushing or slicing pills in half unless a medical professional tells you that's OK to do. The fact is that you can ruin the effectiveness of most medications by breaking them up before swallowing them. That's something to think about. Otherwise, you might consider asking a doctor for smaller pills (in smaller dosages) because that's sometimes an option.
    missbishi likes this.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I also have some trouble swallowing big pills :( To this day I avoid like the plague those pills that are too big to swallow, like for example the calcium supplements I got from my mom the other day. You end up needing a whole glass of water to push those down, and sometimes that is not even enough. The worst feeling is when one of those medications seems to get lodged in your esophagus. One of the worst feelings ever.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My fiance had the same problem. Then he ended up finding out he is a diabetic and has high pressure so he has to take pills twice a day so he is getting better at it now. He use to gag and spit them back up. It was difficult just watching him trying to take them. It doesn't bother me at all. I can take a pill on without water and it doesn't even bother me.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have to take my pills every day, so I got used to it. I used not to stand swallowing pills before, but I had to accept the fact that I will most probably take them for the rest of my life.

But there are also those pills which get slippery after making contact with water. Those I could bear. I am lucky my pills are one of these.
  13. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Some people wont just get used to it because they have a real phobia. They can mitigate it with alternative methods of ingesting the medication or get a psychologist involved but it can be a serious issue for some folks.
  14. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

My daughter is like this. No matter how hard she tries she cannot swallow a pill. When she was little I discovered a way to help her take one and she still does it at the age of 28. She sticks the pill in the middle of a small strawberry! She still takes it whole but the strawberry makes it easier to swallow. Now I'm doing it with my granddaughter too!
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This is so true, especially if you're on an extended release form of medication. Cutting or otherwise breaking them disturbs the coating, meaning that they won't be absorbed inthe way in which they are meant to.
  16. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

My best friend has issues swallowing pills of pretty much any size. I think it is more of a phobia than anything. She will gag and cough and almost vomit trying to take even a very small pill. Most of the time she will chop up her medication if at all possible and nix it in with her food or a drink. At least I have never worried about her becoming a drug addict as she will barely take an aspirin.
  17. larrisa78

larrisa78 Member

My daughter had a phobia about swallowing pills and has had one since she was about 5. She is 19 now. She said she feels like she is choking on them and they get stuck in her throat. When she was younger I tried giving them to her with food but for some reason she would swallow the food and still have the pill in her mouth so that never worked. When she got real sick at the age of 12 I took her to the doctor and they prescribed her antibiotics that were like horse pills. So when I went to pick up the prescription at the pharmacy they told me I could get most medicines in liquid form if I just asked. I never knew that I could and I was doing it the hard way most of her life. The only downfall is most insurance companies won't pay for liquid form if the child is at a certain age. So you'll have to pay the difference of about $5 which isn't bad if it'll get them healthy again.
  18. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My husband always had a fear of swallowing pills. He wouldn't take any at all but now that he is older and because of illness he is required to make pills daily he has gotten over it somewhat. He still doesn't like it and it makes him gag at times but he knows he has to take them.
  19. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I had this when I was a kid, could never swallow pills.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think when you are young, it is common to have a fear swallowing those huge pills.
    I also experienced that kind of fear and I am also the kind of person who would rather try natural ways in treating illnesses than immediately pop a pill.