An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

fear of swallowing pills?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 31, 2015.

1. dalzieleone

dalzieleone Member

Swallowing big pills is a huge nightmare for me. Small pills I can manage but the big ones seem to get stuck in my throat all the time. Also whenever I put them in my mouth I automatically feel like I want to throw up. Normally I crash them before I take them.
  2. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Here is a tip for anyone suffering from the same problem: take them with mineral water, not with the classic tap water. This way, the carbonated acid will transform in co2 and water in your mouth and in your throat, therefore you won't feel the size of the pills.

Try it at least once and thank me later.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Yeah, I used to have trouble with swallowing pills until I became dependent on codeine, and then the need to get the stuff inside me overcame any doubts about swallowing them. I quickly learned an efficient way of necking them - one of the few positives to come out of that sorry time.
  4. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Absolutely, I know all about what you're going through...and you should try a pill crusher and maybe this will help you out. I sometimes gag on big pills but I found this contraption to be so useful.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

I remember when I was young how I could avoid taking pills. Sometimes I could throw them away when mom was not near. One day she caught me throwing away pills which made her to beat me up. She later suggested that I mix those pills with porridge before I could take them, and luckily that I took them without complaining. That is the method I have been using from that time until now.
  6. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I truly understand how you feel. Oh I hate the antibiotics, they are super huge! I have to take prescription potassium pills, and they are just as big as the antibiotics medication. I do exactly what you do in that I bite them into 3 pieces. I have swallowed them hold and felt like I was choking. So never again! They have a liquid form of the potassium, but guess what? I would have to pay $50 every month just to have the liquid form! No thank you. I will save my money and just keep making them smaller.

7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's not weird at all. I know a lot of people who don't like swallowing pills. Even I sometimes have a hard time swallowing them, especially the big ones. Like you, I also cut them in half. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would pound the pills until it turns into powder. Then she would sprinkle it on a tablespoon of water so that I would be able to swallow it.
  8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

More people than you may imagine has this problem of being unable to swallow pills. In some cases, intravenous methods have had to be instituted to apply medication which would normally have been taken as a pill
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I guess by the number of posts on this string that swallowing or taking pills is a bit of a phobia for people. It just seems like it might be a terrible thing for some people to think of. O course a lot of medicines can be taken in different forms, so that might be the way to go if you are really afraid of taking pills. You could also chop them up and eat them in appleasuce or something.
  10. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Your doctor should be able to give you pretty much anything in another form if you ask. However, I often find that it can help to mix it with food such as soup that you would swallow with quite large bits in it anyway. It is a very common problem so you're certainly not on your own with it, but you do need to try and ensure that you resolve it, as medication is important to all of us at some point in our lives.
  11. Rosco14

Rosco14 Member

I used to hate taking pills because I always gagged! Now I just take a pill and pretend it's blended with the water and swallow it all in one gulp. But yes, still a little scared of bigger pills!
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I had this fear for years! Do not feel bad about it. I would take at least 5 minutes or more. Then I started getting bad panic attacks and was taking up to 20 vitamins a day trying to stop them. I would think "I am healing my body." and then the fear would go away and I was able to swallow 2 at a time.
  13. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Children are afflicted with the fear of swallowing pills. Some are not sugar coated and are very bitter especially malaria medicines. It does not help that they are prescribed after a visit to the doctor or pharmacist who administered painful injections. The hospital experience terrorizes kids. Adults fear pills as a consequence of their childhood experiences.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Crushing pills can be dangerous. Some pills are designed to be released into the body over a period of time and crushing them can speed up the distribution of the drug into your system.
  15. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

For mаny реoрlе, ovеrсoming thе fеаr of tаking рills likе thе асt itsеlf сomеs in stаgеs. First, thе рills stаrt out smаll. Реrhарs thеy’rе lodgеd in еаsily ingеstiblе food. Nехt, thеy’rе tаkеn with disрroрortionаtеly lаrgе gulрs of wаtеr, rеndеring thеm unnotiсеd аs thеy go down thе hаtсh. Finаlly, thеy’rе tаkеn on thеir own, with minimаl wаtеr, аnd bеforе thе рill swаllowеr hаs notiсеd it, both thе рill, аnd thе fеаr of tаking it, hаvе vаnishеd.
  16. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

My sister has the same problem. We have never been able to counter it. When she is given a pill. She puts it in her mouth and drinks a lot of water but for some reason is never able to get it down her throat.
    My mother is same. She hates pills. Myself I prefer injections yo pills too but not because I fear pills but I forget to take them most of the time.
  17. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Probably not the best fear to have, but then again, at least it's not aquaphobia or something. I had a sort of fear of swallowing things without chewing them when I was young, but it seemed to go away over time without me noticing. Just need to remember that these pills are potentially saving your life and at least helping you and improving your health.

At least you can say that you'll never get addicted to prescription drugs then!
  18. Min

Min Active Contributor

I know that I have a fear of swallowing really big pills. And even worse, sometimes when you split a big pill the edge is very ragged, making it even more difficult to swallow, even though it is smaller. I find that filling my mouth up with a great deal of water and then gulping the pill has helped, but it's still traumatic. If you're at the point where your throat literally closes up in fear, it's really worth discussing with your Doctor or Pharmacist to find an alternative - liquid or other methods.
  19. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

One tip when taking pills for those who find it difficult is to make a mini sandwich, with plenty of butter on both sides of the bread. This makes it slide over the throat really easily, and since butter has a fairly neutral taste, most people can use this. The trick is to cut the bread just slightly bigger than the pill/tablet and heap on the butter.
  20. Min

Min Active Contributor

@SCSullivan - that's actually a really good idea! You're definitely right, anything oily would definitely make the pill slide down better. And I bet it for split pills with ragged edges (like the ones I mentioned) it would coat those so it would be much easier. I think I will definitely try that trick next time I've got to take one of those pills. Thanks for the tip!