An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Fear

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many addicts have that inner voice nudging them to change but they can't because they are afraid — afraid that they can't live without drugs, afraid that they can't have fun without drugs, afraid that they can't face reality . . .

But how can they find out unless they take that risk? Take that first step, face your fears and you'll realize that you can have fun without drugs, problems can be solved and stress dealt with without drugs.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think fear is a natural reaction for anybody who is thinking about making changes in their lives. It is always that fear of the unknown that hold us back from moving forward and making changes. We have to change our whole mindset if we want to be successful with change. Life is all about taking risks. We can not grow if we don't take chances. Reminds me of a quote, "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep being what you've always been, nothing changes unless you make it change."
  3. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Indeed, overcoming drugs is a venture that involves taking risks. Taking drugs in the 1st place was a risk. Therefore one has the muster the courage now to forsake what one did risk entering into. It's weird, but there was a time when we were kids, and we were innocent, and we never use to take drugs; And life was fun and much easy.
  4. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

The proverb you just quoted is Super. I like it and its total true. Fear is one of the greatest enemies of humanity. Many of us could have come out to become great individuals in life, but instead we chose to Crouch in fear. That's even one of the biggest reasons that we commit suicide.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Fears can be conquered if you face them head on. You have to be strong enough to realize your fears and then you can take them on and get over them. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge without giving it much thought.
  6. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Sometimes facing fears is more complicated than actually end it right now. Harder task is to let the feared person think that this is actually wrong, fears have to be faced and solved.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think the fear of trying comes after failed attempts. Most people try to quit drugs and then relapse. The thing about relapsing is you have to build determination to not give up until the habit is broken. Staying away from people who feed your addiction goes hand and hand with this.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If only addicts know how beautiful and better life is without drugs and other substances in it. I believe it is possible to have fun and be happy without using these kinds of stuff. If you just try to find your passion in life and pursue your dreams/goals, I am pretty sure you would feel fulfilled. And you won't ever think about substance abuse again.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, but as you've said a lot of drug users are scared to face their reality, losing "friends" or not have the same amount of fun... But I think that if you want to stop using you need to know all the good and bad things about it... but at the end of the day you're going to face with those things, so I think that is better to quit while you can before it's too late.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People get stuck in a rut, and they like to feel secure. The unknown is a scary thing and while sometimes making a change is the only answer to the problem it's hard to take that first step.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

You usually lose that fear when you hit rock bottom, sometimes you hit it sooner, sometimes later, but if you are lucky enough to still make some sense up there, then you will react accordingly and try to get better. I did, back when I thought everything was lost and this was my destiny I had a moment of epiphany. I just knew I had to fight really hard to get better and I did :) I had to go thru hell and back though, but here I am!
  12. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

The longer that the addiction prevails the smaller that voices becomes, people really need to confront it before it takes over their lives and really starts to hamper their every day life.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Ahh, fear and self doubt held me back for a while there. I wondered if I could really live a sober life and how that would impact everything else in my life.

Telling fear to buzz off was one of the best things I could have done. Sometimes you've got to realize that there are always going to be tough things to overcome in life, but fear shouldn't hold you back from overcoming them.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Fear? Hmmmm so you think they don't quit because of fear. A perplexing way to look at it. Perhaps in some cases this is true. I've not got that feeling with anyone who has a drug addiction that its based on fear. I see what you are saying about afraid that they can't have fun or face reality without it. Is it fear that keeps them in addiction though? There clearly is impaired rationality present. Lowered intelligence and making bad choices. They are so irrational that they are somehow better off this way, in their mind. They are justifying what they do. A phobia of being sober almost. This is the way you are describing it.
    I had a female friend who would not walk into a social setting alone. She would get me to meet her first and walk in with her. Go to the bathroom with her and so forth. I never really understood it. Seemed silly to me. So what you are saying is that a drug addict has phobias really, cause that's what fear is of things. Face your fears head on I guess. Numbs their sensitivities for certain things. Socializing and having fun. I've had some of that happen to me, but I always faced it. I forced myself to socialize if I had any anxiety about it. I've done so much of it, sober too, that I'm over it. Its kind of over rated. Your not missing much if you are doing other constructive things. Partying and socializing is all well and good, but there is more to life than this.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Once you manage to conquer those fears, you begin to realize that fear itself is just an illusion. Breaking through those barriers can lead to an overwhelming sense of freedom and enlightenment. It's worth fighting them.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

They are just so used to this life that they can't imagine the other life. But they need to remember that at one point, before they were an addict, they were clean! So they can do it, they just need to take the leap and do it.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, people fear the unknown future because it would be different from what they are accustomed to now, so they get paralyzed to act and prefer to live in the same routine that they do which is using drugs. If only they would think more positively of a future without drugs then for sure they would embace the positive change of a drug-free future with open arms.
  18. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I agree, that first step is always the hardest. It's the step that makes you want to squirm and writhe with agony because if it didn't it wouldn't be worth it. But we all know it's worth it. The end justifies the means - believing in that sentence is what actually trumps fear.
  19. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

The first step might not come naturally for some of them. They need that extra push from some of their close ones and might not get that push internally. They need some kind of motivation and surety that things would be normal and there is life without drugs.
  20. Stuartrleach

Stuartrleach Member

I've suffered from addiction, fear is definitely present there. However, for me; fear itself had no relation to the substances and why I was using. For me the substance itself was the answer and the humour. It was the giggle at the end of the day, my affair with the inanimate object. I had fears and worries in my mind that were overlooked as soon as I had taken a hit, my fears turned into anxieties and paranoia. All the while I was telling myself that this was the solution to my fear. Of course I learnt quickly that my life would wither with the companionship of narcotics, and so I stood and watched - whilst high - as my whole life and opportunity crumbled before me. It was not fear that made my addiction worse, fear was the very reason I first turned to drugs. Not peer pressure, but the weight of the world before me pressing against my already anxious mind frame. I now know, that in my life fear has no presence at all, I only take in that which makes me stronger! I believe the solution is within the addict's mind, an addictive personality sees no wrong in deciding to do what they have already done so much before! And so, an appropriate change of priority and the right amount of love should solve the issue, that's how I did it!