An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Featured Article: Drug and Alcohol Use and Diabetes

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Joseph, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ryanwil

ryanwil Member

Alcoholism and diabetes are both chronic illnesses. When not managed, either one can be fatal. When both develop in the same person, risks of complications and early death increase.

In a person with diabetes, the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin or the body doesn't use the insulin that is produced. Insulin is a hormone that regulates levels of glucose in the blood. Glucose, a form of sugar, supplies the body with energy.

Alcoholism--the compulsive use of alcohol despite negative consequences--creates obstacles to diabetes management.
  2. TravisT

TravisT Member

I am a Type 1 Diabetic that is now 44 years of age and living with Diabetes since the age of 8, so +/- 37 years. Since the age of 18 I have been an alcoholic and at the age of 19, possibly 20, turned to cocaine. I lived this way until the age of 41 and when I stopped breathing again on August 11th, 2018 - enough was enough.

As a Diabetic the amount of stress that alcohol puts on your body is tremendous, but I am the true case that you can make it through, YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH!

If you have someone, like myself that wouldn't/won't stop drinking or doing drugs, they have very affordable machines (Libres or machines like that) that you can stick in your arm and register your cell phone, computer and other loved one's phones too. It is a tremendous safeguard if you or your loved one can't stop just yet.

Heavy Beers (Lagers, Malts, Hoppy beers) are what they call "Sneakers" - they catch up with you later in the morning, afternoon or evening (these beers wait hours to break down into sugar). Your blood sugar can be maintained perfectly, but the minute you think you have it under control, bam there is a 300 blood sugar (Very high) staring at you in the face.

Hard alcohol - this is the trickiest of them all. If you are going to drink hard alcohol and not quit just yet, never use mixers, specifically sugar mixes (daiquiri, bloody Mary, margarita, etc.). All of these will increase your blood sugar, giving you the wrong impression of where you blood sugar actually will be 30 minutes from them. I have spent my life in and out of coma's, ER visits, Medics called, for this particular failure. Remember, you will already have a buzz on, be extremely trashed and in the bag and trying to make decisions that control your destiny and in a lot of cases, whether you wake up or not.

Wine - oh my gosh, moderation only. Wine for a diabetic is scary. If you have one wine and don't change wines, you can be safe because you know how your blood sugar will react. Wine in moderation is fine, I suppose, but I am talking to my fellow "I don't have one, I have the whole lot." folks.

Pot - never really used it, but it has no effect on your sugar as long as you don't eat a box full of cookies.

Cocaine - the only side effects here are the same as with anyone else - poor choices. The problem with a diabetic is with cocaine the tendency to not eat for days at a time and when you do, it is a quick sugar fix and then you literally are bag to snorting lines and forgetting your diabetes while your blood sugar jumps all over the place.

Just one step at a time. If you take some motivation to just start to get your diabetes under control, then the way you feel can initiate other awesome changes in your life too. This all or nothing thing doesn't work for everyone, so just get little pieces of yourself back, day by day!

I am a guy that was doing a minimum of an 8Ball a day along with just an insane amount of drinking (well over 1/5th a day, mixed in with Beer and Wine).

Diabetes is scary in itself and YES, we (Diabetics) do consider it a death sentence. It creates an overwhelming sense of doubt, fear and as you all know you can read so many frightening things online you can feel like you are doomed. I found it very helpful to me, to read the inspirations, struggles, heartache on here and see how we can better ourselves and others, just by taking time to share our stories.

I am open and willing to share with anyone that wants to know the more in-depth struggle of being an addict and now recovering addict with Type 1 Diabetes. You can do this.

Small steps and no one way is right...take one less sip a day, one less snort, one less shot, check your blood sugar twice more a day, write your blood sugars down in a little book or even on your phone...just one little thing!

Bless you,
    Travis
  3. TravisT

TravisT Member

I am a Type 1 Diabetic that is now 44 years of age and living with Diabetes since the age of 8, so +/- 37 years. Since the age of 18 I have been an alcoholic and at the age of 19, possibly 20, turned to cocaine. I lived this way until the age of 41 and when I stopped breathing again on August 11th, 2018 - enough was enough.

As a Diabetic the amount of stress that alcohol puts on your body is tremendous, but I am the true case that you can make it through, YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH!

If you have someone, like myself that wouldn't/won't stop drinking or doing drugs, they have very affordable machines (Libres or machines like that) that you can stick in your arm and register your cell phone, computer and other loved one's phones too. It is a tremendous safeguard if you or your loved one can't stop just yet.

Heavy Beers (Lagers, Malts, Hoppy beers) are what they call "Sneakers" - they catch up with you later in the morning, afternoon or evening (these beers wait hours to break down into sugar). Your blood sugar can be maintained perfectly, but the minute you think you have it under control, bam there is a 300 blood sugar (Very high) staring at you in the face.

Hard alcohol - this is the trickiest of them all. If you are going to drink hard alcohol and not quit just yet, never use mixers, specifically sugar mixes (daiquiri, bloody Mary, margarita, etc.). All of these will increase your blood sugar, giving you the wrong impression of where you blood sugar actually will be 30 minutes from them. I have spent my life in and out of coma's, ER visits, Medics called, for this particular failure. Remember, you will already have a buzz on, be extremely trashed and in the bag and trying to make decisions that control your destiny and in a lot of cases, whether you wake up or not.

Wine - oh my gosh, moderation only. Wine for a diabetic is scary. If you have one wine and don't change wines, you can be safe because you know how your blood sugar will react. Wine in moderation is fine, I suppose, but I am talking to my fellow "I don't have one, I have the whole lot." folks.

Pot - never really used it, but it has no effect on your sugar as long as you don't eat a box full of cookies.

Cocaine - the only side effects here are the same as with anyone else - poor choices. The problem with a diabetic is with cocaine the tendency to not eat for days at a time and when you do, it is a quick sugar fix and then you literally are bag to snorting lines and forgetting your diabetes while your blood sugar jumps all over the place.

Just one step at a time. If you take some motivation to just start to get your diabetes under control, then the way you feel can initiate other awesome changes in your life too. This all or nothing thing doesn't work for everyone, so just get little pieces of yourself back, day by day!

I am a guy that was doing a minimum of an 8Ball a day along with just an insane amount of drinking (well over 1/5th a day, mixed in with Beer and Wine).

Diabetes is scary in itself and YES, we (Diabetics) do consider it a death sentence. It creates an overwhelming sense of doubt, fear and as you all know you can read so many frightening things online you can feel like you are doomed. I found it very helpful to me, to read the inspirations, struggles, heartache on here and see how we can better ourselves and others, just by taking time to share our stories.

I am open and willing to share with anyone that wants to know the more in-depth struggle of being an addict and now recovering addict with Type 1 Diabetes. You can do this.

Small steps and no one way is right...take one less sip a day, one less snort, one less shot, check your blood sugar twice more a day, write your blood sugars down in a little book or even on your phone...just one little thing!

Bless you,
    Travis
  4. TravisT

TravisT Member

Bless you,
    Travis