An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Featured Article: Effects of Drug and Alcohol Use on Your Weight

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Joseph, Feb 26, 2015.

1. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

Cigarette smoking actually leads to weight loss. Has nothing to do with smoking itself it's believed that cigarette smoking actually kills the taste in your mouth and most of us eat not because we're hungry per se but because of the flavour. Without that we eat less and lose weight.
  2. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Yeah, that really makes sense. I remember a friend of mine, who would get really high and then he would devour food like anything. Slowly, his body started to change and he put on a lot of weight.
  3. They both have significant effects on your body. You shuld be very careful with the type of product you ingest, becauseit can make you unhealthy and make you lose a lot of weight.
  4. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok Member

Many drug addicts are severely under nourished and look 'stick thin' and sickly due to their drug use. This is often associated with the 'harder' drugs like meth, heroin etc. Part of how the drug works is that it suppresses the appetite making you not even feel hungry. Another part of the addiction, is that you will spend your money on the drug rather than buy food, causing you to not eat out of sheer addiction and need to have the drug alone. When you combine both of these, the effects on the body a devastating.

The effects of meth particularly don't just stop at weight and nutrition issues. You often grind your teeth down to almost nothing, if you smoke it, the chemicals melt away your front teeth and the well known feeling of bugs under the skin makes you scratch and pick everywhere causing sores which look unsightly.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I know many people who are alcoholic or do marijuana.I have seen noticed how much weight that have lost over the years. Alcohol and drugs can kills your appetite and you don't feel like eating. Once your body is deprived of nutrition, you being to lose weight.
  6. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Yes this is very true for an alcoholic. I have witnessed the effects of this silent killer and what it can do to a family. When someone becomes addicted they have to have this poison morning noon and night. They indulge to the point where they satisfy their appetite with the alcohol....this is poor nutrition at it's best. The addict only craves their addiction...nothing else matters...not even food.
  7. Kolyenno

Kolyenno Member

I've met many people who are trying to lose weight, and cut off everything except alcohol. They even track calories, but no one bothers to check how caloric alcohol actually is.

A buddy of mine was wondering why he wasn't losing weight after dropping the unhealthy lifestyle he lived. And he really did drop it. Completely cut off sweets, fast food and juices, started hitting the gym three times a week and did cardio twice a week.

He was losing weight, but at an extremely slow pace. I was confused until I realized he was drinking heavily 2-3 a week! And the guy can drink.

I gave him some advice and now he's doing much better.

So that's my example of the effects on alcohol when it comes to weight.
  8. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

Wow, I knew alcohol had a lot of calories, but I didn't realize how much it impacts your body. Personally, I don't think its worth it. Plus the headache the morning after doesn't help. I have started my own weight loss journey 11 months ago, and I am not willing to throw that all away for a drink.
  9. Kolyenno

Kolyenno Member

Yes, it is very uncommon knowledge, but alcohol does have a HUGE effect on weight-loss.

You wouldn't say that a couple of beers can stop your progress for a whole week, right? Well, they can.

As you mentioned, that isn't the only downside, but it is still one of the major ones. I'm glad that more and more people understand this.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I have seen where the abuse of drugs like cocaine had seriously deteriorated the well-being of some persons transforming them from healthy looking individuals to mere skin and bones. However, I have observed that with alcohol addiction a few persons may become really skinny because they drink a lot and eat very little, but otherwise, I have seen a lot of hard alcohol users gaining quite a bit of weight because of their drinking habit, beer, for instance, is a substance which tend to increase belly mass when it is been constantly consumed in large quantities.
  11. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

I've always believed that food itself is just as harmful an addictive substance as anything that would be considered 'hard core'. Having to deal with an alcohol or drug addiction is terrible in it's own right, but when you have a food addiction in addition to one of those, then life can be very difficult indeed. I'm one of those people on a prescription medication which alters appetite (amitriptylene) coupled with opioid patches, which decrease energy levels and other medical conditions which make exercise almost impossible, so gaining weight was a certainty. I know people who have turned to using speed as way to lose weight, but that would seem to be adding just another problem to the list of things that I already have to cope with.
  12. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

My husband is a recovering addict. He is also generally a big guy and always has been. When he was actively using he lost a tremendous amount of weight and would not eat. It was heartbreaking on top of the other things I witnessed. Him looking frail and ragged just really made me feel like I was not even looking at or with the same person I married. I am so glad he is in recovery and doing well. Hugs to all struggling.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Yeah, I remember one time how so terribly small Whitney Houston was at an event where she sung. She looked so frail and skinny. She almost looked like a skeleton. This goes to show again why we should not take drugs or to drink excessively.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  14. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Definitely, not only as a direct result of using the drug(s), but if you think of it, while you are taking those drugs, you are eating less. For example meth addicts would most likely be spending their time sleeping and taking the drug, whatever time they have left they are looking for money, not eating. Serious drug addictions can also result in a lack of money to buy food, as all of it is being spent on buying drugs. You can lose your appetite too.

When it comes to beer, as South Africans call it, men can sometimes develop a "beer boep" ( fat stomach as a result of excessive drinking ) so I guess it may be different when it comes to alcohol, but smoking/injecting/sniffing, e.t.c, those kinds of drugs do the above and its a serious health risk.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  15. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I know that drinking to much sweet wine can cause pre-term diabetes. I have a friend who went to the doctor and found out they had to go on a sugarless diet immediately or because they were on the verge of becoming diabetec for sure. I t was a scary thing. This person use to drink a bottle a night.
  16. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Another effect of substance abuse is deprivation. Most drugs including alcohol and cigarettes deprive the body of B Vitamins resulting in artificial starvation. Most drug abusers also do not take regular meals preferring to satisfy their drug cravings instead resulting in drastic loss of weight.
  17. roger1003

roger1003 Member

Health is very important to me. I'm a nurse and I know that health should be our priority. Alcohol should be in moderation, and smoking and drug addiction should not be done.
  18. dblanch

dblanch Member

I've heard the theory of beer bellies being directly correlated to drinking and binge eating. I suppose this confirms it.
  19. sclupto

sclupto Member

Beyond even dieting, drug and alcohol use effect sleep cycles in most people. staying up three days straight or sleeping for greater than twenty-four hours can have an even mor dramatic effet on weight loss or gain than the ability to eat during those periods.
  20. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

I agree with this, I abused Marijuana. Although my substance didn't make my skin or anything look different it did have an effect on my appearance. Especially my weight. Any user knows about munchies, they make you crave snacks. And if you were a frequent user like me you snacked all day everyday. This definitely had a negative effect on my weight.