An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Fed up. Ready to get sober!

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by TJB1463, Jun 17, 2016.

1. TJB1463

TJB1463 Member

Reading through many posts and seeing myself in so many.. Even just reading the posts from family members of addicts has hit home. When my family try's addressing the 'elephant in the room'(My drinking) I immediately shut down. It feels like they are nagging... Almost like back in the day when parents would nag you about cleaning your room blah blah blah. ✋ Reading posts from others has allowed me to empathize with the family of addicts, my family specifically, and think about how this truly effects them.

I am done with alcohol starting today. I am fed up with feeling like **** every morning, chasing a hangover with another coors light. Not remembering the end of each night. I am done looking like ****, I have gained 60 lbs from the daily consumption. From 127 lbs when I refrained from alcohol for 2 years, to almost 200lbs today. I actually threw my scale in the garbage because it makes me sick. I won't even leave the house because I have gotten so fat and am embarrassed at how far I've let myself go. Alcohol addiction has turned me into a slob. I live in yoga pants and an oversized T shirt. I can't find clothes that I feel comfortable wearing at this body type. I can't tell you the last time I put on makeup or cared to. My skin looks like hell, My face is always bloated looking from the booze. I don't even like to look in the mirror anymore because I don't see myself anymore, I see a drunk. I cringe thinking about what my liver must look like.

I am done with this! I am done! I am not going to be controlled by a bottle anymore. Alcohol is the enemy, not my friend. The happiest and healthiest I ever was, was when I did not drink at all those 2 years. I am determined to find my way back to that path! #dayone
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@TJB1463... Congrats on Day 1! You can do this. I know you can. Take it one day at a time, or even one hour or minute at a time if you have to. What ever keeps you moving in the right direction. Just keep doing the next right thing and know that we are pulling for you!
  3. Zambiayum

Zambiayum Member

Thanks for sharing.
  4. Rella

Rella Member

@TJB1463 I am right there with you I came to the same conclusion today I am so sick of being trapped By this habit that I no longer even enjoy at all I hate it!!! I hope that you are very successful in your sobriety and new life.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. JudiB

JudiB Member

@TJB1463 All the best for your way towards sobriety, and you will live a happy joyful life again very soon.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@TJB1463... How are you doing today? If you get a chance, check in and let us know.
  7. StevenC

StevenC Member

I too am struggling. Drinking is killing me and I have to stop
  8. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@StevenC hi there. thanks for reaching out. drinking to excess can certainly cause much stress in life... have you ever tried to stop using support network? maybe 12 Steps, counseling, or treatment? i know for me, it's best if i don't drink at all.... because if i start, i don't normally want to stop... would like to know more about you!